The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shanx2
Hey! I'm pretty confused about the score out of 40-is the cut off 38/40?

I have 12a*s at GCSE, AAAa A level, ukcat 717 band 1,

What score would this give presuming I got maximum at personal statement?

38/40 maybe 37 as UKCAT may just miss the top octile. To get full academic marks you need A*AAa
Why did you take two points off? Isn't AAAa just -1? giving 39/40 assuming top decile of UKCAT.
Are you guys sure Edinburgh still uses this scoring system out of 40? Cause they've got a new course and the admissions booklet for 2015 (http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/imports/fileManager/Applying%20for%20medicine%202015.pdf) and 2016 (http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/medicine2016_single.pdf) mention nothing of this specific scoring system just that they use a complex system and the weightings of academics, UKCAT and personal statement. The 2014 admissions booklet is the one that mentions the scoring system. I think it's possible this system (maybe a similar one is used though) is no longer used added with the fact that they a new 6 year course? I'm open to the idea that the ones I have read are just condensed so have left out the specific scoring?
Original post by Aquafreshh
Are you guys sure Edinburgh still uses this scoring system out of 40? Cause they've got a new course and the admissions booklet for 2015 (http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/imports/fileManager/Applying%20for%20medicine%202015.pdf) and 2016 (http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/medicine2016_single.pdf) mention nothing of this specific scoring system just that they use a complex system and the weightings of academics, UKCAT and personal statement. The 2014 admissions booklet is the one that mentions the scoring system. I think it's possible this system (maybe a similar one is used though) is no longer used added with the fact that they a new 6 year course? I'm open to the idea that the ones I have read are just condensed so have left out the specific scoring?

I think they do - if they don't it's still somewhat similar. The recent open day had percentages and I distinctly remember 15% for SJT and 15% PS&Ref which would give 6 points/40 for both.
Hi guys, im an international student and i got 700 UKCAT and band 2. Do you think Edinburgh is a possible option for me? :smile:
Original post by k.machalica
Hi guys, im an international student and i got 700 UKCAT and band 2. Do you think Edinburgh is a possible option for me? :smile:

What qualifications (and extra-curriculars/work experience)?
Reply 86
Original post by Docjones1
Why did you take two points off? Isn't AAAa just -1? giving 39/40 assuming top decile of UKCAT.

AAAa is -2 since there are two markers. Its kinda silly for them to have that rule...but each marker takes one mark off for the academics
Reply 87
does anyone know what the cut off is likely to be?
What qualifications (and extra-curriculars/work experience)?

Hmm... Volunteer for 2 years in children hospitals, medical conference, dissections, lectures on uni in my country, medical camp...
Original post by Shanx2
AAAa is -2 since there are two markers. Its kinda silly for them to have that rule...but each marker takes one mark off for the academics

Ah yeah my bad
Original post by k.machalica
Hmm... Volunteer for 2 years in children hospitals, medical conference, dissections, lectures on uni in my country, medical camp...

What did you get in your country's high school examination?
What did you get in your country's high school examination?

Well I didn't, but i have predicted 90% 90%, 90% from extended biology, chemistry and english and 85%, 100%, 75% from basic polish, english and maths.
Does anyone know when octiles will be released?
Reply 93
Hey
I think I've got the right sort of grades
AS AAAA
Predicted Grades A*A*A*
and UKCAT 710 with situational judgement band 1.
But I am slightly worried that my GCSEs will let me down. I got 5A*s 7As and 2Bs does anyone know whether I still have a shot or not?
Reply 94
I am currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography for AS. I am hoping to achieve at AS 4A's or 3A's and a B in maths. In my GCSEs I got:
Maths- A*
R.E- A*
Geography- A*
Irish - A*
Double Award Science - A*A
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Drama - B
Further Maths - C

I am currently volunteering in a group with working with children who have disabilities, and I also have applied for volunteering in the hospital and also a GP surgery.
Do I have a chance at applying for medicine?
Reply 95
Original post by U16
I am currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography for AS. I am hoping to achieve at AS 4A's or 3A's and a B in maths. In my GCSEs I got:
Maths- A*
R.E- A*
Geography- A*
Irish - A*
Double Award Science - A*A
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Drama - B
Further Maths - C

I am currently volunteering in a group with working with children who have disabilities, and I also have applied for volunteering in the hospital and also a GP surgery.
Do I have a chance at applying for medicine?

Definitely! Your GCSE's are a little low for some GCSE heavy universities (e.g. oxford or Nottingham) but are no means a disadvantage for most unis-just read the admissions process detail wisely.
Reply 96
Original post by Shanx2
Definitely! Your GCSE's are a little low for some GCSE heavy universities (e.g. oxford or Nottingham) but are no means a disadvantage for most unis-just read the admissions process detail wisely.

Thank you so much, I've just been a bit worried that it's going to hold me back, but I might as well go for it and hope for the best.
Hi, I would be grateful for advice: I had read there is a set quota of admissions of non-Scottish UK students and that there is a weighting that favours Scottish students at University of Edinburgh Medical School. Presumably this would make it a longer shot when applying if you're not from Scotland? Can anyone tell me if this is the case? Thanks
Reply 98
Hi everyone, I'm sending my application away next week and was wondering if anyone knows what sort of UKCAT score you need for Edinburgh? I got 710 average (VR 670, QR 770 and AR 690) and Band 1. I have 11A* GCSE, AAAA at AS and A*A*A*A* predictions so I know I fulfil all the academic criteria.Assuming my personal statement is good (not sure if it is or not lol) do I stand a chance of getting an Edinburgh offer? My UKCAT is my main concernThanks!
Original post by emerj98_
Hi everyone, I'm sending my application away next week and was wondering if anyone knows what sort of UKCAT score you need for Edinburgh? I got 710 average (VR 670, QR 770 and AR 690) and Band 1. I have 11A* GCSE, AAAA at AS and A*A*A*A* predictions so I know I fulfil all the academic criteria.Assuming my personal statement is good (not sure if it is or not lol) do I stand a chance of getting an Edinburgh offer? My UKCAT is my main concernThanks!

I think your score should be fine, check if your total gets into the top octile for the last few years (though the interim average showed scores have increased a little) to see if you are likely to lose any points. Think you are likely to be the top or at least the second! I have really similar stats to you, assuming I have a full academic/UKCAT score so praying my PS doesnt let me down although teachers say it's good but still worried aha :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending