The Student Room Group

Pharmacy students - which books are essential for first year?

Hey y'all
so I just started pharmacy, we haven't got our reading lists yet but I wanna pinch a few books from the library before we get them and everyone swarms it :tongue:

does anyone have any recommendations for core, essential, absolutely must have books for first year?

Original post by z33
Hey y'all
so I just started pharmacy, we haven't got our reading lists yet but I wanna pinch a few books from the library before we get them and everyone swarms it :tongue:

does anyone have any recommendations for core, essential, absolutely must have books for first year?

Hey,

IMO getting them now is pointless because you don't know whether you'll really need to use those books ever - I can honestly say that I've never used a text book (God save Wikipedia and Pubmed).

If you absolutely want to get something, get Rang & Dale's Pharmacology, I think the 8th edition is the most up-to-date one.

It also really depends on what you cover each year as different universities tend to cover different things at different times throughout the course.

Hope this helps :smile:
Same as above. You really don't need any books for first year.
Original post by thegodofgod
Hey,

IMO getting them now is pointless because you don't know whether you'll really need to use those books ever - I can honestly say that I've never used a text book (God save Wikipedia and Pubmed).

If you absolutely want to get something, get Rang & Dale's Pharmacology, I think the 8th edition is the most up-to-date one.

It also really depends on what you cover each year as different universities tend to cover different things at different times throughout the course.

Hope this helps :smile:

Most pharmacy schools are all different so it really depends on your modules. Talk to lecturers and ask for reading lists, but wait to see what books you will actually need and use most often. There are lots of resources online and e-books that you may not rarely need many books for 1st year.
Original post by chinadollfalls
Most pharmacy schools are all different so it really depends on your modules. Talk to lecturers and ask for reading lists, but wait to see what books you will actually need and use most often. There are lots of resources online and e-books that you may not rarely need many books for 1st year.

Looks like you've quoted me instead of the op! :tongue:

Looks like you've quoted me instead of the op! :tongue:

Sorry studying pharmaceutics, you know what it's like :tongue: well done btw! :h:
Sorry studying pharmaceutics, you know what it's like :tongue: well done btw! :h:

No probs - how's pharmaceutics? Luckily we don't cover it super intensively at Brighton, just the basics :smile:
No probs - how's pharmaceutics? Luckily we don't cover it super intensively at Brighton, just the basics :smile:

Oh it's a big thing here at Reading, haha (nervous laugh) but I do enjoy it (nervous smile) :redface:
Oh it's a big thing here at Reading, haha (nervous laugh) but I do enjoy it (nervous smile) :redface:

Yeah, fair enough :tongue:
Yeah, fair enough :tongue:

We'll see what happens lol :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest