The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lostperson
out of 40? x

Unfortunately, yes. And it fell down to 17 then 14. Like I am soooo scared it's unbelievable. I am preparing for that section but I average 1 minute minimum on each question and when I run out of time it always seems to be the easy ones I left out!!! AGGGHHH
Original post by .......Jeff458
Unfortunately, yes. And it fell down to 17 then 14. Like I am soooo scared it's unbelievable. I am preparing for that section but I average 1 minute minimum on each question and when I run out of time it always seems to be the easy ones I left out!!! AGGGHHH

I would say do all the easy ones first. which questions do you find hardest and when is your test? xx
I would say do all the easy ones first. which questions do you find hardest and when is your test? xx

Tomorrow (Thursday)!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not that it's just that my BASIC math is sooo bad because I moved schools and never really caught up. Paying the price rn ngl.

I'm sure you will do well though! :smile:

Wbu? How you getting along and when are you up to take the test?
Original post by mm_7
for those of you who have done the exam, in QR, did you get many pie charts, speed=distancextime, or schematic questions?

Someone in school said he had mostly pie charts. he averaged about 723.

My good friend also had a lot of pie charts. He averaged 660.

My other good friend had mostly pie charts, unfortunately for him, he hates them. He averaged about 570 I think it was?
Tomorrow (Thursday)!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not that it's just that my BASIC math is sooo bad because I moved schools and never really caught up. Paying the price rn ngl.

I'm sure you will do well though! :smile:

Wbu? How you getting along and when are you up to take the test?

mine is on monday!!
i would say just polish up on pie charts and percentages!! go for the easy ones. DO NOT fall into the trap of spending too much time per a question.. cause u will miss out on easy ones xx
Someone in school said he had mostly pie charts. he averaged about 723.

My good friend also had a lot of pie charts. He averaged 660.

My other good friend had mostly pie charts, unfortunately for him, he hates them. He averaged about 570 I think it was?

what kind of pie chart questions tho? like were they easy or hard pie charts??? i hate them tooo lol
mine is on monday!!
i would say just polish up on pie charts and percentages!! go for the easy ones. DO NOT fall into the trap of spending too much time per a question.. cause u will miss out on easy ones xx

Will post on Thursday how it really was so you guys can ask again then as I will have done it for sure!
Original post by mm_7
what kind of pie chart questions tho? like were they easy or hard pie charts??? i hate them tooo lol

I'm not too sure tbh.

He said he got so many that he got used to them and could just fire through them? I guess that makes sense. He couldn't remember many of the questions or he just didn't want to tell me :biggrin:
Original post by Squishy•
You don't have to resit both years of A-levels. You can fall short by a grade on one subject and just resit one unit to meet the requirements. Although if you apply as a resit your options are fewer, the chances of getting an offer from them universities is just as likely as they would be elsewhere with achieved grades because they don't take your resit into consideration.
I'm pretty sure applying to a university having to do a resit of some units by the end of the year (which you have already done) and having a good chance of getting an offer is much more reasonable than doing a three year degree of which you don't necessarily have a passion for and then applying for medicine with an even slimmer chance.

Some unis do allow you to get away with resitting one module but even then you may need, as I've seen some put, an 'extreme' or medical reason that caused you to perform not as well as you were expecting.

The main issue though is that the new A levels aren't divided into two years, it's all at the end of year two so any resitting, even just one module, is going to take you past the two year boundary that many unis have.

I'm not saying it's impossible to get into medicine with resits depending on the situation and where you apply to and obviously none of us want to spend three years on a course that isn't medicine but it may come down to it being your best chance.
Urgent question:

On UKCAT NINJA I only have time for 1 of the mocks. Which one should I do? Mock 1 or Mock 2? Were they both the same or did you guys find one harder to the other or one more similar to exam than the other???

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any tips for comprehension questions do you check each option???*
I'm really bad at it😱😱😱*
Medify QR is not an accurate representation of the difficulty in the test; was averaging about 630 and ended up with 890 yesterday so don't worry guys!! It's literally all simple data haha
For my 5th choice can I submit it after the medicine deadline? (just add it onto track later on)
Original post by ford2910
For my 5th choice can I submit it after the medicine deadline? (just add it onto track later on)

Once your UCAS application is sent off, you can't change anything related to your academics, personal statement or choices(it should still let you change personal details like email) so you need to have selected your fifth choice and put it into UCAS before sending it all off.

Track is really there just to see whether your application for each uni is pending, rejected or if you've got an offer and what that is.
Reply 6033
Original post by Hutch28
Once your UCAS application is sent off, you can't change anything related to your academics, personal statement or choices(it should still let you change personal details like email) so you need to have selected your fifth choice and put it into UCAS before sending it all off.

Track is really there just to see whether your application for each uni is pending, rejected or if you've got an offer and what that is.

This isn't true - you can add a fifth choice later in track.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ford2910

Original post by Hutch28

You can add a fifth option until the January deadline when the others have to submit by. Trust me, I did it last year and added Chemical engineering as my fifth option
Original post by masterscientist2
You can add a fifth option until the January deadline when the others have to submit by. Trust me, I did it last year and added Chemical engineering as my fifth option

Thank you
Original post by Hutch28
Some unis do allow you to get away with resitting one module but even then you may need, as I've seen some put, an 'extreme' or medical reason that caused you to perform not as well as you were expecting.

The main issue though is that the new A levels aren't divided into two years, it's all at the end of year two so any resitting, even just one module, is going to take you past the two year boundary that many unis have.

I'm not saying it's impossible to get into medicine with resits depending on the situation and where you apply to and obviously none of us want to spend three years on a course that isn't medicine but it may come down to it being your best chance.

There are about 6 unis that do accept resits without any extenuating circumstances so it is still enough to make a good application while doing a resit. I got A*AB and am re-applying this year with 1 resit. I do think it is easier than the alternative of going through grad entry and facing the heavy competition. And the exam boards don't have an issue with retakes due to the new syllabus, they made an extra batch of papers for resitters of the old syllabus :smile:

I would also like to add that the majority of resitters from last year's med resit thread did end up getting offers and are now actually at medical school! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rosemondtan
Medify QR is not an accurate representation of the difficulty in the test; was averaging about 630 and ended up with 890 yesterday so don't worry guys!! It's literally all simple data haha

Because I am getting like 15/40. This isn't good at all for my aim.

Simple data as in...?
Original post by Fleuves
Hiya, well done on your 2:1 you must be thrilled about that.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my understanding of UKCAT for use of GEM is that 700+ average is the only way to be on the safe side. There seem to be higher expectations for grads from what I can infer from previous years' cut-offs.*

Have you done the GAMSAT? *

Thanks for the reply!

I am absolutely gutted about my UKCAT score - VR really brought me down! I'm gonna give it a go and see what happens, positivity!! :smile:

I haven't done the GAMSAT - I really should have because I could have then applied to St George's but hey, there's always next year! Thank you :smile:
Hello guys,
I have been watching this thread for ages and honestly this has been the best place for advice. I want to ask you if I can' apply to medicine this year and if so where say I should apply. I have always wanted to do medicine because it interests me so much, and through work experience, I confirmed this. Any foundation courses will do. I can't do BMAT because most BMAT unis want B for English.
GCSE stats:
Maths: A*
Further Maths AQA : A
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
ICT: A
Statistics: A
Geography: B
English Lang: C
English Lit: C
French: C