The Student Room Group

How come only 49% of us go to uni?

Scroll to see replies

Your school is clearly not representative of the country, ah you sheltered soul
Original post by shanktheopps
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tertiary_education_attainment

I saw this table which says that only 49% of 25-34 years in the UK have a degree from a university. But I don't think I know anyone who isn't going to uni- everyone in my school last year and the last three years went to university and this year everyone I know I'm my year is planning to go to university. So how come it's only 49% when in reality it's so much higher? Do a lot of people drop out of uni and not get their degree?

In reality it's much lower, why would it be higher? Just because in your own experience it's high, it doesn't mean it's representative of the entire country. When you consider the fact that 40% of people can't get 5A-C including English and maths and that in the past most people didn't go to university, as it wasn't really required, then the figures aren't really surprising. As you go up the ages, less and less have a degree, as it was a different time then.
Actually, everyone can afford it, but I can understand that some people might not want to. From what I've heard however, it's much harder to get a job without a degree since everyone has one these days.

I feel that I probably can get a graduate job- hopefully in financial services but I'll have to work hard of course. Good luck to you as well

Whilsr everyone can afford the fees because of loans, not everyone can afford the living costs, or the lack of income from not working full time. The 49% statistic is accurate, and despite coming from and affluent area I know many, many people who are not going to uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbh I can't believe it either, I would say it's around 70% or more. The data is probably outdated. I only know one or two people who aren't planning to go to uni.
Original post by BigTraderBoi
Tbh I can't believe it either, I would say it's around 70% or more. The data is probably outdated. I only know one or two people who aren't planning to go to uni.

#privilege
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tertiary_education_attainment

I saw this table which says that only 49% of 25-34 years in the UK have a degree from a university. But I don't think I know anyone who isn't going to uni- everyone in my school last year and the last three years went to university and this year everyone I know I'm my year is planning to go to university. So how come it's only 49% when in reality it's so much higher? Do a lot of people drop out of uni and not get their degree?

Compare from how at the start of term (round about now) the universities are rammed. Move on another two and a bit years down the line, and see how many are left. A 50% drop out i actually an underestimation. I can say this as someone who got their degree, and access qualification, and nearly died in the process!

If you think university is anything like school, just try going yourself. It is like jumping in at the deep end, when you have only just passed your ten metres! seriously

49% have a degree, that means they finished university. There could be a lot more that enrolled and then quit or failed
lol you must live in a privileged area

58% of my year at GCSE didn't even make it to sixth form
Northerners don't go to uni.
45% of the general population do not have the equivalent of a good GCSE in English (A*-C). 79% do not have a good GCSE in maths. Granted younger people will be slightly better. But your observations are skewed to say the least.
Original post by BabyLadDarren
Northerners don't go to uni.

Yea we do

'chips and gravy uni'
Actually, everyone can afford it, but I can understand that some people might not want to. From what I've heard however, it's much harder to get a job without a degree since everyone has one these days.

I feel that I probably can get a graduate job- hopefully in financial services but I'll have to work hard of course. Good luck to you as well

How privileged actually are you? Like out of 10. What's your parents' income like?
So you think your sample of peers is representative of the general population? :colonhash:

Please, you're being quite narrow minded here. I know many people from my school who either studied vocational courses, or worked straight away, or became parents. Please realise that there's more to "reality" than those you know at school.

Also, apprenticeships. These can work out a better option for the more "male oriented" courses that is, such as electrical engineering. My friend's boyfriend was an apprentice for electrical engineering, and before his apprenticeship ended he was offered a £30k job. Whereas myself and my friends who've just graduated from a RG uni in a non-vocational course wouldn't even consider applying for a 30k job, due to lack of experience.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Twinpeaks
So you think your sample of peers is representative of the general population? :colonhash:

Please, you're being quite narrow minded here. I know many people from my school who either studied vocational courses, or worked straight away, or became parents. Please realise that there's more to "reality" than those you know at school.

Also, apprenticeships. These can work out a better option for the more "male oriented" courses that is, such as electrical engineering. My friend's boyfriend was an apprentice for electrical engineering, and before his apprenticeship ended he was offered a £30k job. Whereas myself and my friends who've just graduated from a RG uni in a non-vocational course wouldn't even consider applying for a 30k job, due to lack of experience.

RC?
Personally I find it really hard to believe the statistic is that high. I would have thought it's more like 30%.
I take it you don't live on an underclass sink estate rife with alcohol and drug addicts? And decades of unemployment, mental health issues and violence. Not everywhere in the UK is the f~ing garden of Eden. Many people are born to fail. You play the hand you're dealt.

For the Thelemas I was dealt Jack of Spades and Queen of Hearts.Grok that.
(edited 7 years ago)
[

Original post by 303Pharma
I take it you don't live on an underclass sink estate rife with alcohol and drug addicts? And decades of unemployment, mental health issues and violence. Not everywhere in the UK is the f~ing garden of Eden. Many people are born to fail. You play the hand you're dealt.

For the Thelemas I was dealt Jack of Spades and Queen of Hearts.Grok that.

I don't happen to live in a place like that but I highly doubt that 51% of British people live like that. It's more like 5-10%. I wouldn't say people are born to fail, though. Everyone can succeed if they try their best and work hard. I understand that university isn't the best choice for everyone but no one in this country is born to fail at life.
Original post by cbreef
How privileged actually are you? Like out of 10. What's your parents' income like?

I would say I'm just of average privilege. 5/10
My parents earn around £35000 in total
(edited 7 years ago)
No, I honestly don't see how only 51% of us are going to uni. I don't know anyone out of the many people I know who isn't going to university.

I know people from other schools and they're all going to university. Do you feel that the 49% statistic is accurate?

Yes! Maybe your school could have given you classes on demographics and statistical analysis.
Huge swathes of poorer city schools may only have 1 or 2 that go to uni, sure my daughters school was nearer the average you are talking about.
Add to that a 5-10% drop out rate for students
dumb people innit

There is a large majority of the working class that either don't think they will be smart enough to get a degree, or are so poor they have to work when they leave school so they just go into apprenticeships.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending