The Student Room Group

No close friends in third year..

Hi

I've just started my third year and realised I don't actually have any close friends

I tended to stick around with people I knew from school, so although I have some uni friends through this, I really want my own group of close friends (from uni)

Is it too late?

How do I even go about this, everyone has already formed their groups..

Feeling really down about it

Thanks in advance x
Its never to late, join a society that you enjoy and start meeting some new people :smile:

Original post by al1122
Hi

I've just started my third year and realised I don't actually have any close friends

I tended to stick around with people I knew from school, so although I have some uni friends through this, I really want my own group of close friends (from uni)

Is it too late?

Thanks in advance x
Reply 2
Original post by al1122
Hi

Is it too late?

Thanks in advance x

Hey, admittedly I was in a similar situation myself. Firstly don't worry, you always have a friend on here :smile: the best thing you can do is meet people through societies, sports clubs or your course. But focus on meeting people through the thing you're most interested in, because you're more likely to get on with people when you have strong mutual passion for something. In my case I found this hard because there was no one interested in the stuff I was, (rather academic, and in a discipline not done at my uni) so had to settle for sport etc. Personal friendship groups are never fixed, there's always space for one more :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
It's not too late!
Did you or do you have flatmates that you can talk to? I know lots of people who made friends with the people they were staying with. Are you in any societies? This would help you meet people with similar interests. Or, if you're fortunate enough to frequently be put with the same people in tutorials/seminars, you might find that you naturally start to form a friendship with them (this happened for me).

What I've found is that most people at university are really friendly and open to chat, and so going with what the above poster said about friendship groups, I wouldn't worry too much about feeling excluded.

Hope this helps you in some way. I just started my third year too, and with being naturally shy I struggled to make close friends in my first two years. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Im in the same situation*

You'll be outta there in 6 months. Who cares. There is more to life than uni. Just focus on your studies this year*
Reply 5
Original post by Aaron Bernbaum
Its never to late, join a society that you enjoy and start meeting some new people :smile:

I feel that most societies here are really cliquey but ill try!! Thanks xx
Reply 6
Original post by Tedward
Hey, admittedly I was in a similar situation myself. Firstly don't worry, you always have a friend on here :smile: the best thing you can do is meet people through societies, sports clubs or your course. But focus on meeting people through the thing you're most interested in, because you're more likely to get on with people when you have strong mutual passion for something. In my case I found this hard because there was no one interested in the stuff I was, (rather academic, and in a discipline not done at my uni) so had to settle for sport etc. Personal friendship groups are never fixed, there's always space for one more :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its more that its possibly way too late and I'll have no friends from uni (only from school), while everyone is here making life long friends!!

Thanks for the advice x
Reply 7
Original post by AquaDuck
It's not too late!
Did you or do you have flatmates that you can talk to? I know lots of people who made friends with the people they were staying with. Are you in any societies? This would help you meet people with similar interests. Or, if you're fortunate enough to frequently be put with the same people in tutorials/seminars, you might find that you naturally start to form a friendship with them (this happened for me).

What I've found is that most people at university are really friendly and open to chat, and so going with what the above poster said about friendship groups, I wouldn't worry too much about feeling excluded.

Hope this helps you in some way. I just started my third year too, and with being naturally shy I struggled to make close friends in my first two years. :smile:

My flatmates were really quiet so no help there

My course has no seminars/tutorials so no chances there either :frown:

I'm not in any societies but I dont play any sports, feeling really down as if Id just been put in a different flat/halls my uni life would be way different :/

Thanks! xx
Reply 8
Original post by al1122

I'm not in any societies but I dont play any sports, feeling really down as if Id just been put in a different flat/halls my uni life would be way different :/

Thanks! xx

Seems like a perfect time to try yourself in sport, huh? Also there should be societies which are not sport orientated, try them. And I'm pretty sure there are some random lectures, seminars or talks hosted by the uni you can attend.
Reply 9
Original post by al1122

Thanks! xx

I'm sorry but I don't mean to be rude, how can you have no tutorials or seminars? I don't have seminars as I have a lot of tutorials. What do you study?
Original post by Ishax
I'm sorry but I don't mean to be rude, how can you have no tutorials or seminars? I don't have seminars as I have a lot of tutorials. What do you study?

Quite common to only have lectures and nothing else, it's all I had during 3rd year maths.
Although tbf some lectures were small enough to be called seminars. However it's still very difficult to meet people in that sort of setting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tedward
Quite common to only have lectures and nothing else, it's all I had during 3rd year maths.
Although tbf some lectures were small enough to be called seminars. However it's still very difficult to meet people in that sort of setting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay, I agree. I do Computing perhaps that makes a difference. I have a lot of tutorials and lectures, I'm a second year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending