The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

What are my options with regards to bringing things home during the holidays if my parents don't want to make the journey there and back every holiday? I can't imagine being able to carry everything home by train. Are there any cheap storage facilities/options because my college doesn't have one unfortunately.
Original post by highestmountain
What are my options with regards to bringing things home during the holidays if my parents don't want to make the journey there and back every holiday? I can't imagine being able to carry everything home by train. Are there any cheap storage facilities/options because my college doesn't have one unfortunately.

Not for the first years, but from the second year onwards if your college has college houses as accommodation, they sometimes let you leave your belongings in the house because they don't rent it out as accommodation on the main site, so that's one option. But you'll still have to vacate it for summer holiday.
Or if your friend lives in a house, you can ask them to keep your stuff there, but that means you'll carry all the stuff by hands or hire a cab.

There's a few storage houses out of town, but you'll still have to organise something to carry the stuff there and bring back to the college for a new term.
No idea about the cost.....

I don't personally know anyone who stored their stuff somewhere during holidays.......
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1742
lol does this stuff happen a lot?
Original post by vincrows
Not for the first years, but from the second year onwards if your college has college houses as accommodation, they sometimes let you leave your belongings in the house because they don't rent it out as accommodation on the main site, so that's one option. But you'll still have to vacate it for summer holiday.
Or if your friend lives in a house, you can ask them to keep your stuff there, but that means you'll carry all the stuff by hands or hire a cab.

There's a few storage houses out of town, but you'll still have to organise something to carry the stuff there and bring back to the college for a new term.
No idea about the cost.....

I don't personally know anyone who stored their stuff somewhere during holidays.......

prsom. I shall see what my college says about even opening up a little bit of international storage space to those who don't have someone to wheel them home and then if I really can't carry it all I'll convince my parents to take me.
Original post by sedqr

The reply gives the only sensible response if you do get these kinds of approaches.
Original post by sedqr

I want to give Patrick Warren a rep.
Original post by highestmountain
prsom. I shall see what my college says about even opening up a little bit of international storage space to those who don't have someone to wheel them home and then if I really can't carry it all I'll convince my parents to take me.

Good luck, but don't put your hope too high.
Unless there's a legitimate and reasonable enough reason why your parents can't help you transport your belongings (rather than they just don't want to), they may not want make you an exception case, or all hell breaks lose.......
Original post by sedqr

meanwhie a mathmo gets threats from fellows for too many notes free for everyone
lmao making people not go to lectures haha.
Am I even going? I don't even feel like I am
Original post by Serine Soul

Same here! I still haven't started packing or anything, I'm so unprepared 😂
Original post by RyanW97
Same here! I still haven't started packing or anything, I'm so unprepared 😂

Haha I've packed a decent bit but honestly it's not gotten into my head yet that I'm genuinely going :lol:

Maybe its just always been something I've kept in my head and it's taking me time to realise it's actually becoming real
I just hope it's not all a huge disappointment XD
Haha I've packed a decent bit but honestly it's not gotten into my head yet that I'm genuinely going :lol:

Maybe its just always been something I've kept in my head and it's taking me time to realise it's actually becoming real
I just hope it's not all a huge disappointment XD

I don't think it's going to actually sink in until we arrive! And it's probably the same for everyone, a couple of people from my sixth form got in and they said exactly the same thing the other day :smile:

As long as you remember you're going on the day you're supposed to go and you actually go, it'll be fine. Things will get going as it should be. :biggrin:
As long as you remember you're going on the day you're supposed to go and you actually go, it'll be fine. Things will get going as it should be. :biggrin:

Wait was it the Saturday or Sunday? :confused:

I think my family will remind me either way! :tongue:
Wait was it the Saturday or Sunday? :confused:

I think my family will remind me either way! :tongue:

lol Ask them not to forget load you in the car.
Well, enjoy the last few days of marriage blue. :biggrin:

Edit: hope it's Sunday. Rain/shower forecast on Friday/Saturday in Cambridge.
It's really not fun having to carry stuff in the rain to and fro-Ing many times between a car/accomm.
Though, in our case, it only happened once when leaving the college for good on graduation day. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)

It's really not fun having to carry stuff in the rain to and fro-Ing many times between a car/accomm.
Though, in our case, it only happened once when leaving the college for good on graduation day. :tongue:

Yeah I'll stuff myself in a huge bag ready to go XD

Screenshot_2016-09-28-09-04-07-1.png
It's almost as if Cambridge doesn't want me there :sad:
Yeah I'll stuff myself in a huge bag ready to go XD

Screenshot_2016-09-28-09-04-07-1.png
It's almost as if Cambridge doesn't want me there :sad:

Is it Saturday you have to go?
If you arrive in the morning, it's dry!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2653941

Cambridge is surprisingly dry to be fair, for someone who is used to Welsh levels of rain it seemed to only rain a handful of times last year.
ok sorry for this, I've lost a bunch of cambridge letters and the medical yellow booklet thing. Anyone have a checklist of things they asked us to do or bring. Preferably medics? thankl
I remember the medical forms and stuff, were there any other major things ?
wth I questioned my mum this morning as to why I have 4 suitcases, as they are apparently full of essentials. I then opened one of the bags to find 2x2kg bags of tesco basmati rice...

Quick Reply

Latest