The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by J0333
With those grades you should quit sixth form and become a tutor!!! 😂

I'm not that smart, trust me 😂 Thanks though 😂
Reply 941
Original post by hxfsxh
I'm not that smart, trust me 😂 Thanks though 😂

Hmm, don't doubt yourself! You must be like top 5% of the country in intelligence!😃
Original post by J0333
Hmm, don't doubt yourself! You must be like top 5% of the country in intelligence!😃

Aw thank you, but no, definitely not the top 5%; maybe around 25% perhaps :tongue:
Reply 943
Original post by hxfsxh
Aw thank you, but no, definitely not the top 5%; maybe around 25% perhaps :tongue:

A*s in so many subjects? I got none & only 1 A, the rest were Bs & Cs 😩😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J0333
A*s in so many subjects? I got none & only 1 A, the rest were Bs & Cs 😩😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, so maybe I'm a bit smart but Bs and Cs are far from bad though! And well done for the A!! The way I see it, if you put in all your effort, then you can't ask for better grades because that's your capability.
Original post by ColossalAtom
Welcome to the official Year 12 Thread! (2016-2017) :bigsmile::borat::bunny::clap2::dance::elefant::excited:

*grabs an old school microphone descending from the ceiling*

Students! We're going to embark on a journey like we have never experienced! The first year of the A-levels :work:! The jump may seem big to some of you from the GCSEs that we did, but show no fear! Fence with them, en garde and riposte! :fight:

Now time to tell us who you are. :hello:

- Introduce yourself
- What are your hobbies and interests?
- What subjects are you planning to take?
- Your favourite subject(s)?
- Your ideal future occupation? :smartass:

Future Oxbridge applicants:

Cambridge - @ColossalAtom, @CyberJake, @Mahrez, @emi.hopkins, @TSlayerr, @enidblytonlife, @MezmorisedPotato, @CloakedSpartan, @metellaest, @drapplepilot, @Enigmatically, @emmald583, @hxfsxh, @DamnDaniel2, @Banana00

Oxford - @kennethdcharles

(Let me know if one of these is your trajectory, then I'll add you there. Also feel free to recommend some I haven't added on yet)

Aspiring medical doctor(s): @ColossalAtom, @LDS16, @drapplepilot, @nisha.sri, @Fractite, @snoamdaila, @abbi.rebecca, @starstudent7, @MezmorisedPotato, @homeland.lsw, @Elliwhi

Aspiring lawyer(s): @LieutenantJ, @cherryblossoming, @lonyeka, @sahil19, @Juedjegfewo, @hxfsxh

Aspiring banker(s): @AdeptDz, @DamnDaniel2

Aspiring physicist(s): @kennethdcharles

Aspiring engineer(s): @Mahrez, @sfairy27, @Chemgawd99, @ElMcDonald, @enidblytonlife

Aspiring dentist(s): @icy_typhoon, @sulaimanali

Aspiring teacher(s): @lozza_X, @amybmth, @Jazzy_j_, @NiamhM1801, @CharmingCat, @AlevelBiologist

Aspiring computer developer(s): @Vyres, @shirleydongj, @CyberJake, @Lelanor, @Waveyalex, @CloakedSpartan

Aspiring veterinarian(s): @Edosawr

Aspiring actor(s)/actresses(s): @sulaimanali

Some bits of this was stolen from @JTran38 year 11 thread.

I'm always continuously editing.

Hi!! :ciao:

I'm Kirsty and I'm from the South West!

I'm really sporty and do triathlons and anything else that I have time for!!

I am taking Geography Maths Biology and Chemistry.

My favourite subjects are Geography and Maths.

My future occupation: Geographer, Police Officer or Elite Athlete! (Not yet decided, I'll see how I go!!)
Reply 946
Original post by hxfsxh
Okay, so maybe I'm a bit smart but Bs and Cs are far from bad though! And well done for the A!! The way I see it, if you put in all your effort, then you can't ask for better grades because that's your capability.

Thank you, this made me happy! It's so tough to be the best you personally can be and be proud of that in such a competitive world! I am happy with most of my grades!😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J0333
Thank you, this made me happy! It's so tough to be the best you personally can be and be proud of that in such a competitive world! I am happy with most of my grades!😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're so right when you talk about the competitive world- I go to a grammar school whereby everyone is pretty much expected to get 10 decent passes at GCSE, As,Bs and A*s at A-Level, and then go to a Russel Group uni. Obviously there are no complaints because one would not go to a grammar school unless they desired to endure such an education, but there is so much competition between people, where there really shouldn't be. For example, if someone got 10A*s at GCSE, and they heard that someone else also got the same, they would, of course, be happy for them, but there's that mindset like "damn, I should have gotten better than them". That's why I prefer to just be satisfied with what I do because I put in that much effort so there's no point in being gloomy about grades I couldn't actually achieve. I mean I got an A in Biology, but I had been absolutely certain that it could not have been any higher than a B.

PS:Pardon the essay :lol:
I think I'll be finished with AS Biology content before October hits. How's everyone finding year 12 so far?
Reply 949
Original post by hxfsxh
You're so right when you talk about the competitive world- I go to a grammar school whereby everyone is pretty much expected to get 10 decent passes at GCSE, As,Bs and A*s at A-Level, and then go to a Russel Group uni. Obviously there are no complaints because one would not go to a grammar school unless they desired to endure such an education, but there is so much competition between people, where there really shouldn't be. For example, if someone got 10A*s at GCSE, and they heard that someone else also got the same, they would, of course, be happy for them, but there's that mindset like "damn, I should have gotten better than them". That's why I prefer to just be satisfied with what I do because I put in that much effort so there's no point in being gloomy about grades I couldn't actually achieve. I mean I got an A in Biology, but I had been absolutely certain that it could not have been any higher than a B.

PS:Pardon the essay :lol:

Preach👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 love this! Be proud of yourself, because if only effort was shown instead of natural ability, the world would have such a different outlook😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 950
A sister with 15A*'a at GCSE, 3A*'s an A and a B at A-Level, and then me. 3 A's, 2 B's, 3 C's and a D at GCSE....and only doing 3 A-Levels so she's going to be better than me still. Hard not to feel awful about myself when I don't know of anybody else with that many A*'s at GCSE!! 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kxjzh
A sister with 15A*'a at GCSE, 3A*'s an A and a B at A-Level, and then me. 3 A's, 2 B's, 3 C's and a D at GCSE....and only doing 3 A-Levels so she's going to be better than me still. Hard not to feel awful about myself when I don't know of anybody else with that many A*'s at GCSE!! 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

A-levels are a fresh start. Use that to your advantage :-)
Original post by J0333
Preach👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 love this! Be proud of yourself, because if only effort was shown instead of natural ability, the world would have such a different outlook😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I have a way with words 😝😊 And precisely what you said 👏👏 Would you like to continue this conversation in PM?; I feel as though we're dominating the thread 😬😂
Reply 953
Original post by jamestg
A-levels are a fresh start. Use that to your advantage :-)

I suppose. What upsets me is I did at least as much work as my sister....I'm just not as intelligent clearly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm worried I'm not getting enough work from sixth form... Everyone around me is complaining that they're buried in work yet I seem to have a lot less. I don't know if I actually do have less or if I'm just managing my time better to keep on top of it.

Also, does anyone else find that A-Levels aren't the "big leap" they were said to be at the moment? I mean there are parts that are more challenging but it's all logical so idk but now I'm rambling 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HouseOfRichman
I'm worried I'm not getting enough work from sixth form... Everyone around me is complaining that they're buried in work yet I seem to have a lot less. I don't know if I actually do have less or if I'm just managing my time better to keep on top of it.

Also, does anyone else find that A-Levels aren't the "big leap" they were said to be at the moment? I mean there are parts that are more challenging but it's all logical so idk but now I'm rambling 😂

Tbh I only feel the leap in Biology
Original post by ColossalAtom
I think I'll be finished with AS Biology content before October hits. How's everyone finding year 12 so far?

How have you already nearly finished?! :eek:

Year 12 is great so far. I don't feel too much of a leap but the intensity of Biology (ie. the workload) can be challenging imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've only felt a jump in terms of workload, during gcse i did hardly any work (even leading up to exams) but now i find myself going over stuff every day
the actual content is easy enough to understand tho tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing 4 A-levels and that's true. From what I was told, the gap between GCSE and A-levels is huge, but we're just going over GCSE stuff over again.

They did tell me that it's about to get a lot worse...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the workload is adequate. A-levels has a leap, but I can't quantify it for you, since is different for everyone. The thing is, once you put the work in, everything starts to click. When I first peered into the content of the AS Biology textbook, I was overwhelmed, but now is manageable.

Original post by extraordinaire
How have you already nearly finished?! :eek:

Year 12 is great so far. I don't feel too much of a leap but the intensity of Biology (ie. the workload) can be challenging imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

I took initiative a few weeks before term started, to read my cousin's AS Biology textbook. She goes to same sixth form as me, but she's in year 13 now. I made notes from the textbook and did the questions in them as well. Biology uses a lot of jargon to replace 'regular' words. It's almost like reading a new language. lol

Latest