The Student Room Group

Didn't finish antibiotic course, please help?

About a month or so ago I went to the doctors for a UTI infection and they gave me some nitrofurantonin tablets to take over 3 days. I thought I had finished them at the time but I've just been emptying my rucksack out and I've found I've missed one of the tablets because it fell out of the packet. :facepalm: :facepalm: Should I take it now or what?
Reply 1
Depends how many days ago you were taking the medication and how frequently you were taking them - if you were taking 50-100 mg four times a day you've not really missed a large proportion of what you were prescribed so not to worry.
Reply 2
Original post by LewisJ14
Depends how many days ago you were taking the medication and how frequently you were taking them - if you were taking 50-100 mg four times a day you've not really missed a large proportion of what you were prescribed so not to worry.

About 3 weeks ago I stopped. They are/ were 50mg tablets 4 times a day. Should I take it now anyway?
Reply 3
No idea... Ring NHS direct or call into a pharmacy and ask for advice.
Original post by Anonymous
About 3 weeks ago I stopped. They are/ were 50mg tablets 4 times a day. Should I take it now anyway?

No. Just throw it away.
Reply 5
Original post by ForestCat
No. Just throw it away.

I will
As above. Missing one tablet won't do any harm. Taking one tablet now out of the blue, however, is more likely to contribute to bacterial resistance.

As ForestCat has advised, throw it away.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
About a month or so ago I went to the doctors for a UTI infection and they gave me some nitrofurantonin tablets to take over 3 days. I thought I had finished them at the time but I've just been emptying my rucksack out and I've found I've missed one of the tablets because it fell out of the packet. :facepalm: :facepalm: Should I take it now or what?

After this long one tablet wouldn't do anything even if you did still have a lingering infection. If it were a day or two old then yeah take it, but the rest of the antibiotic will be out of your system by now and if the infection were still there you would know about it and be needing to see your doc again.

Quick Reply

Latest