The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6060
Original post by MoshBosh
Your score is above average, however Kings often have much higher UKCAT cut offs (over 700). You could still get an interview at Queen Mary's if you have an exceptional UCAS tarrif.

what is classed as an exceptional ucas tariff?
Hey guys,

I am a 2015 graduate in biomedical science (2:1) looking to study medicine. I was initially looking to apply for the 4 year graduate scheme but having seen the ridiculous competitiveness I'm leaning more towards the 5 year course. The only 4 year course I am applying to is Birmingham. For the 5 year course I am looking at Southampton, King's and Bart's. They are UKCAT competitive unis as well but I haven't looked much into the other UKCAT universities because those are the ones that stood out to me. My stats are:

UKCAT - VR: 590, QR: 700, AR: 770, TOTAL: 2060, AVG 690 Band 1
2:1 Biomedical Science
A level: ABC
GCSEs: 5As 5Bs 1 B-tech Distinction

I'm currently working as a phlebotomist for a private hospital and I've done plenty of healthcare work in the UK and abroad so work experience isn't a problem. However, my concern is my UKCAT score for the UKCAT competitive universities. At the moment I've only just scraped the 7th decile but I don't know if this will be good enough for the unis I'm looking to apply to. Does anyone have any suggestions as to any other UKCAT universities I should consider in order to maximise my chances of being invited for an interview? Also, I know Birmingham are very keen on academic achievement and prefer graduates with first class degrees as well as having excellent a levels. Are my chances hindered based on my stats? If anybody has some insight into this I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance
Original post by aamin96
Is an average of 665 good enough for kings and queen Mary dentistry I'm also getting predicted a first in biomed. Pretty pissed off qr is not as easy as people say but ar is easy as baaaallls

Posted from TSR Mobile

why is AR easy as balls? what did u use to practice?
I was wondering if you could help me with my last option. It's between Leicester and Keele. This is going to be really long so I'm very sorry but I want to give you a full picture, please feel free to ignore me as I know you must be very busy. I have an internal deadline for tomorrow so it's very stressful!
GCSE- 7A* 3A (A's in maths, eng lang, ICT)
UKCAT- 640 Band 2
AS- AAAB (A's in bio, chem, maths)
Predicted- A*A*A

I have 168 hrs volunteering over 6 months in 2014 with disabled adults and children.
In Aug I started volunteering at a hospice (15hrs so far, I do 2hrs 30 mins weekly so it will go up, intend to carry on all A2) I know I started this late but sadly I signed up in Jan when I decided I was definite on med after AS mocks and the DBS, meetings, training etc took a very long time. Keele count volunteering in the last 3 years.
WE: shadowing a nurse for a day, 2 different GP's over 3 days, medical research department at a hospital. Been trying to organise hospital work experience, I might finally be getting somewhere but it will be too late to put on PS etc.
First aider with St. John Ambulance, bio and chem mentor for AS students, showjumper for 10 years(national level), weightlifter as a hobby, nothing serious. Completed NCS, part of a medical society, taken part in a med research project with peers, attended dementia learning sessions, take part in HE+ Chemistry, all the general stuff, nothing special at all.

I score 41/48 on Leicester scoring system for 2017 entry. This is very borderline(please can someone confirm this?)
For Keele, they rely heavily on the R&R form which may be subjective- I have many hours of volunteering but none in 2015... On top of this, Keele has such a small success ratio (0.08 on medic portal compared to 0.18 for Leicester) and a much smaller number of places for a larger number of applicants. Do you think that because the offer has gone up to A*AA they will receive less applicants?
Keele seems isolated so I'm concerned about the area not being great. On the other hand, I'm not bothered where I end up. I just want nothing more than to study medicine that I would literally go anywhere to maximise my chances. Leicester just seems risky with my score (think its 85/86%), I am borderline for the past few years but I fear it will go up, knocking me out of interviews.
Incase its of any interest, my other three options are Liverpool, HYMS, UEA.
If you have read this far, THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Original post by Lostperson
why is AR easy as balls? what did u use to practice?

Used medify and 1000q but I guess I got lucky with the Q. Selection most of them had pretty basic patterns

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MoshBosh
Your score is above average, however Kings often have much higher UKCAT cut offs (over 700). You could still get an interview at Queen Mary's if you have an exceptional UCAS tarrif.

This is false. King's actually don't have a strict cut off point and they themselves have said they interviewed an applicant with a UKCAT score of 612 for 2016 entry Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
for those who have sat the exam already:
1) where the AR patterns easy to spot?? where there a lot of conditional patterns? would you say that the questions were similar to the easy ones on medify or the harder ones?
2) for QR, where there many pie chart questions? if so what kind, like relatively easy or not? how was this section in general??
Original post by aamin96
Used medify and 1000q but I guess I got lucky with the Q. Selection most of them had pretty basic patterns

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay great... do you remember any patters that came up? x
Original post by HT98
what do you think are my chances of an interview?

Pretty damn good chance of an offer.

Obviously the standard scot takes 5 highers but you took six and still got 5A's and your UKCAT is just right and your SJT is of the highest level. I think you're at interview already tbh wherever you apply
Original post by Squishy•
What do u mean sat all his exams at academy?
4 A-levels get u like 184 so i was wondering how he could have more than that.

He is a Scot. Scots normally take 5 subjects (5A's being the highest grades there are). But you can take another subject but very few do this. This guy has taken an extra subject and STILL got the normal 5A's which eases his chances of getting in.

Sat all exams at academy = he has finished school. He is a gap year applicant.

Has a lot of ucas points because of taking more than usual subjects. I currently have 280 I think it is
Original post by mm_7
for those who have sat the exam already:
1) where the AR patterns easy to spot?? where there a lot of conditional patterns? would you say that the questions were similar to the easy ones on medify or the harder ones?
2) for QR, where there many pie chart questions? if so what kind, like relatively easy or not? how was this section in general??

Ar patterns were easy to spot I didn't have many conditional patterns I'd say they were similar and easier than medify

My QR was tough many multi step questions people were saying it was easy and it wasnt for me. If it was i wouldve gotyen above a 700 avg but oh well

Posted from TSR Mobile
okay great... do you remember any patters that came up? x

I got a few which were similar if not same as the ukcat mock on the website most of them were counting shapes honestly that was 80 percent of the section

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
This is false. King's actually don't have a strict cut off point and they themselves have said they interviewed an applicant with a UKCAT score of 612 for 2016 entry Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you say my chances of getting an interview for kings and Barts are good with a 665 avg and first predicted and a decent ps then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by aamin96
I got a few which were similar if not same as the ukcat mock on the website most of them were counting shapes honestly that was 80 percent of the section

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay wow.. so did you use SCANS? and pretty much got it?

thanks for ur insight :smile:x
Original post by aamin96
Ar patterns were easy to spot I didn't have many conditional patterns I'd say they were similar and easier than medify

My QR was tough many multi step questions people were saying it was easy and it wasnt for me. If it was i wouldve gotyen above a 700 avg but oh well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh okay! how did you find VR?? everyone is saying that the passages were really long and the answers weren't easy to find this year.

Also how was sjt?? were the situations ones that were similar to medify?
okay wow.. so did you use SCANS? and pretty much got it?

thanks for ur insight :smile:x

Hahah nope i dont really have a mnemonic for AR i just look at the sets and it pops in my head, especially for the AR in the exam. I also had one rotation and one symmetry pattern so look out for those. youre welcome! good luck x
Original post by aamin96
Would you say my chances of getting an interview for kings and Barts are good with a 665 avg and first predicted and a decent ps then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Based on what I've heard, you have a shot at getting an interview, but I don't know what score would put you in a "good" position to get an interview for GED.

Honestly though try to perfect your PS because King's actually mark it. You don't want there to be any weaknesses in your application

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aamin96
Hahah nope i dont really have a mnemonic for AR i just look at the sets and it pops in my head, especially for the AR in the exam. I also had one rotation and one symmetry pattern so look out for those. youre welcome! good luck x

awesome thank you :smile: xx haha wish i had that ability ...
Original post by ASTK98
Based on what I've heard, you have a shot at getting an interview, but I don't know what score would put you in a "good" position to get an interview for GED.

Honestly though try to perfect your PS because King's actually mark it. You don't want there to be any weaknesses in your application

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was planning on GED but only if I got above 700 since I haven't i think I'll apply for the 5 year courses I shouldn't have too much of a problem then. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aamin96
I was planning on GED but only if I got above 700 since I haven't i think I'll apply for the 5 year courses I shouldn't have too much of a problem then. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see. Never knew graduates could apply to the 5 year course; are the entry requirements the same for you as it is for school leavers/gap year students?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending