The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for the rep Anon, and sorry about the A2s...I would personally recommend staying in education and retaking them. Quite a few people I know who took gap years, especially without a plan to go straight back into education, have found it hard to or put it off for years and years until it never happened. Sounds a bit extreme, but it can happen.
Reply 81
For goodness' sake, I can't even do what I want. :cry:

I'm not even asking for much.

Stupid life.

I'm so fed up of trying so hard only to get nowhere.

It's like driving a plane for 28 hours then getting off to realise you're the only person left on the plane, the entire titanium body has infact been shackled to the ground for the entire duration + you're not at your destination.

You wonder how you were tricked into thinking you were actually going somewhere bc it felt so ..real.

You then try + unlock the chains but you have no key bc you seemingly lost it, even though you don't remember losing it so you resort to picking up your walkie talkie to try + get in touch with someone so they can help.

But there is no radio signal.

So you're trapped on a plane, with only empty seats for company in the middle of.. well, nowhere.

Yet you're still wearing your pilot attire bc you were ready for this trip.

Even if the world didn't want you to be.

I don't know why everyone's ignoring my queries, it's almost been a week.

+ When they finally respond, I'm not even going to be able to start on time.

I really, really do not want to start later than the rest of the damn year group.

I don't think anyone understands how much it'll negatively affect my work ethic.

I don't like catching up on stuff.

I'm really fed up.

Well, I give up.

Is that what I'm supposed to say.

I give up on me.

On everything.

Bc the Gods apparently want me to make nothing of myself so let's just conform to their wishes.

Perhaps that's what I should've done to begin with.
You seem to be good at English so why don't you do the second set of alevels
Reply 83
Original post by Anon_98
Right, so I'm going to apologise for how long this will be in advance but I need advice so I think it's vital I go into detail. I'm also just going to put my pride aside + include my grades in this post bc I don't care enough anymore to be embarassed by them but I'd really appreciate it if the responses are somewhat considerate.

Okay so, obviously yesterday was A level results day + I'm not an A* student by any means, but I honestly, honestly expected to do a whole lot better than I did.

My AS subjects were Bio, Chem, Maths + Physics.

My A2 subjects were Bio Chem + Maths.

I literally still cannot believe the marks that I got from some units, I genuinely think there's been a mistake or something bc I came out of a few exams 100% knowing I had at least got an A from mark schemes, common sense etc + yet on my sheet it states otherwise but perhaps I'm simply not as good at exams as I thought. Well, exceedingly terrible.

Last year I completed my AS levels + came out with CDEU.

At the time, I thought I tried for them but tbh, I think I just thought they'd be like GCSEs + looking back, I most probably deserved those grades from the level of work I put in. They still came as an absolute shock to me though bc throughout the first year, I was getting A grades in all class tests. Every single one. I don't think I received below an A grade in any mocks etc. (Bar physics, ofc. )

So this year, I dropped physics + retook all my AS exams from last year as well as my A2 exams and slightly improved the AS grades of CDE to BCE in Chemistry, Maths + Biology, respectively. To say I am dissapointed would be a severe understatement but.. whatever.

My A2 grades however, were DEU.

In every single Biology exam from AS + A2, I got a U.

I got a fricking U in my resits.

Who the hell gets a U grade in a resit.

But it's done.

I also got an E or U in every A2 exam.

I don't enjoy Biology, truanted almost every lesson, found it really difficult + yeah, idk maybe that explains it.

I don't enjoy maths, didn't attempt a few of my final maths exams despite studying for them bc I was really fed up so maybe that explains that grade.

I don't know anymore.

I'm really confused with Chemistry tho. It's the only A level out of the 3, that I'm semi-okay at + I don't know wtf happened. I literally don't know. I was so dreadfully upset, rightfully angry + confused + wtf nah.

So instead of going into sixth form like I should have, I cried for hours, started developing a self-loathing attitude then went to bed for some much needed sleep + celebrated my *****y results afterwards.

Despite my beyond horrific results, I surprisingly had a pretty great day.

But I've calmed down now + over it all so I have decided to evaluate:

I don't know whether A levels are not for me.

I don't know whether the sciences + maths aren't for me.

I don't know whether it's bc it's just been a difficult year.

I don't know whether I took up way too many exams + did more than I could manage.

I don't know.

I would like to study Chemistry at University so apprenticeships + the like aren't for me.

I know that not everyone needs to go to uni but I personally would v much like to go bc I feel like it's a life experience that I wouldn't want to miss out on + I certainly still do believe that I'm capable of achieving something that I'd be proud of whether that be during higher education or after several attempts at A level.

I can't speak to any one professional from school bc I didn't go in yesterday so I'm resorting to asking advice from TSR.

Yes, I regret not going in but I can't do anything about it now.

I realise TSR isn't the best place either bc anyone who fails is deemed as relatively unworthy.

The funny thing was people were trying to comfort me by giving tons of examples of all these business men who got straight U's + are now earning £34897584839, but I don't want to be a business person, I only want to study some compounds that I can't pronounce the names of so it's not exactly accurate or reassuring.

Anyway, I did try really hard during the year, I looked back on stuff + it seems that I started revising in February.

But I don't know whether I burnt out when it got to June.

Or let myself go in the exam hall.

I feel so helpless hence why I'm here.

Tbh, after yesterday.. I am genuinely past caring + I don't actually care anymore about it.

About anything.

Nor do I wish to discuss this matter bc I'd more than happily go with the flow + live each day as it comes then laugh at the outcome.

But I know that in reality, I have to sort this out in order to continue breathing, I just don't know how.

So my first plan is that I retake all my A2 exams this year.

The problem with that tho is that I don't know if I like science anymore, I don't know if I'd be able to cope with doing the same work all over again. I'd be applying as a private candidate so I don't know if I'd have the motivation. What if I get bored + give up? Regardless of those doubts, it feels like the easier option since I have all the material.

My second "idea" is that I take up a whole new set of A levels. - English Lit, Photography + Art + Design.

The problem with that is I don't know what I'd end up doing at University, I'd have to move sixth form + do another 2 years at school + I don't know if my body is up for that. The good part is that I'd probably feel motivated to complete them bc it'd be something new + something I'm interested in.

The third option is that I go abroad + run away from my problems.

No, really.

Go to Africa for a week this August, then if I like it enough defer + stay there for a few months, volunteer + most likely get stressed out again once I return to England. This is infact what my parent would like me to do on the basis that I need "time off" + it'd benefit me. I don't know how that'd help in an academic light but there we go.

If anyone has any advice on what to do then please do share, I'm pretty desperate.

+ well, for anyone else who is sort of in the same position.. remember that you can't have a pretty rainbow without lots of rain. :'3

Wow finally someone who's in the same shoes as me.
I literally got the same grades..... I had an unconditional in Biomed however I did not take it. This decision was not made on results day but instead right after my last exam(I already knew how badly I did).
My reason for seriously seriously SERIOUSLY under-performing was due to mental problems....

I personally know and believe that I am capable of achieving A grades. I know this from exams, mocks etc... I would be getting the highest in my class... So i really don't know what happened.

So I've basically decided to take a gap year and retake most if not all of my A2 exams. My school has accepted me as an external student and also offered to help me with my UCAS application. I've secured a Volunteering position at a hospital but i'm yet to secure a job. (Btw i have already begun studying and i plan to get a personal tutor once a week)

I personally think you should do the same since you sound like you are capable of achieving good grades. Everything happens for a reason and I don't believe in dwelling on past mistakes to put yourself down but instead using it in a positive way to see where you (and I) went wrong...

Would love to know what you plan on doing
Reply 84
Original post by rhoxc
Wow finally someone who's in the same shoes as me.
I literally got the same grades..... I had an unconditional in Biomed however I did not take it. This decision was not made on results day but instead right after my last exam(I already knew how badly I did).
My reason for seriously seriously SERIOUSLY under-performing was due to mental problems....

I personally know and believe that I am capable of achieving A grades. I know this from exams, mocks etc... I would be getting the highest in my class... So i really don't know what happened.

So I've basically decided to take a gap year and retake most if not all of my A2 exams. My school has accepted me as an external student and also offered to help me with my UCAS application. I've secured a Volunteering position at a hospital but i'm yet to secure a job. (Btw i have already begun studying and i plan to get a personal tutor once a week)

I personally think you should do the same since you sound like you are capable of achieving good grades. Everything happens for a reason and I don't believe in dwelling on past mistakes to put yourself down but instead using it in a positive way to see where you (and I) went wrong...

Would love to know what you plan on doing

Hey!

Ahhhh right, I see. Well, I definitely agree + I consider that it was simply not meant to be, even if it did not feel like that in the moment.

You're really brave for doing it all again though. - Wish you the best. I decided on starting-a-fresh due to various reasons, so I've taken up a few new subjects as mentioned in my OP; Literature, Art + Photography.

I'm also going to be retaking A2 Chemistry as an external student.

Academically speaking, failing this year was the best thing that ever happened to me + I'm thoroughly pleased it occurred. :blush:
Original post by Anon_98
Hey!

Ahhhh right, I see. Well, I definitely agree + I consider that it was simply not meant to be, even if it did not feel like that in the moment.

You're really brave for doing it all again though. - Wish you the best. I decided on starting-a-fresh due to various reasons, so I've taken up a few new subjects as mentioned in my OP; Literature, Art + Photography.

I'm also going to be retaking A2 Chemistry as an external student.

Academically speaking, failing this year was the best thing that ever happened to me + I'm thoroughly pleased it occurred. :blush:

I'm so glad you're back on your feet now anon :hugs:
Original post by Anon_98
Hey!

I'm glad things are working out :smile:
Reply 87
Original post by bluemadhatter
I'm so glad you're back on your feet now anon :hugs:

Original post by Carpe Diem Jay
I'm glad things are working out :smile:

Ily both.
Hey @Anon_98 :smile:
It's been sometime since we've spoken and omg I've missed talking to you :hugs:

I'm so sorry about this year :frown: and I'm glad to see from a recent post that things are looking up now a bit and I wish you the best of luck with your new subjects bc you deserve it.
This year hasn't been very good for me either tbh and I'm in the process of resiting AS maths and Comp Sci because I did terribly and it was such a blow and sent me into a depressive episode and most of the time I just feel helpless and useless and like I gonna fail these resits all over again. The resits start in a week and I was having a bit of a crisis earlier today but then I read this thread and now I don't feel so alone anymore and tbh kinda at peace with myself bc whatever happens happens and maybe screwing up my exams was a godsend bc then I don't have to apply to Oxbridge anymore and I doubt I'd have survived it because of my mental health.

So I'm really glad I found this thread and I'm really glad things are looking up for you and it's given me a bit of motivation now and reassured me that I'm not a horrible failure and that things happen for a reason :smile:
So thanks so much anon :hugs:
And I don't mean for this to sound like the generic stuff people always say but you've genuinely inspired me today and I'm grateful for that.
Reply 89
Original post by StrawbAri
Hey @Anon_98 :smile:
It's been sometime since we've spoken and omg I've missed talking to you

It has truly been absolutely ages + I've missed you lots + lots too.

I'm so sorry about this year and I'm glad to see from a recent post that things are looking up now a bit and I wish you the best of luck with your new subjects bc you deserve it.

Thank you for your kindness.

This year hasn't been very good for me either tbh and I'm in the process of resiting AS maths and Comp Sci because I did terribly and it was such a blow and sent me into a depressive episode and most of the time I just feel helpless and useless and like I gonna fail these resits all over again.

I'm really sorry that you didn't do as well as you hoped either + I understand that you most likely don't want to hear an apology for it but yes.. I sort of know what you mean by: "I feel like I'm going to fail again".. that mindset is the whole reason why a huge part of me doesn't want to apply to retake this year's Chem exams.

I'm just scared, utterly scared + atm not thinking about it.. (lol)

But why should we be afraid of failure?

Anyway, you've got to remember that there were lots of aspects which meant you didn't do as well as you could've this year, right?

+ even if you simply don't know where you went wrong bc it is really difficult to pinpoint the exact reason then remember that one exam does not mean that you're incapable in that entire subject.

Bc it was ONE chance, ONE exam.

There are so, so many factors that could've influenced your performance which I think is what makes our education system so pathetic.

I'm not just saying that bc of the fact I did horrifically either.

Let's say you burnt a cake which you were making for a baking competition.

Does that mean that all future bakes of yours are going to result in an inedible batter?

No, no it doesn't.

+ thinking it does is almost laughable.

Bc maybe you just didn't mix it for as long as you should've or maybe you didn't leave it in the oven for long enough.

Why is it that in those situations we're able to rationally explain + understand but when it comes to academia, the majority of people assume you must be useless bc you got a dreadful D grade in a test.

It doesn't mean you don't know how to mix, it doesn't mean that you are a bad cook, it just means that you possibly didn't follow the recipe as well as you could've.

You're not stupid bc the eggs weren't fluffy enough, you're not incompetent bc the oven should've been at gas mark 7 but due to your anxiousness you read it as 8 + you're not worthless bc the flour still had lumps bc all of those things were out of your own control.

Just bc some people managed to get it right on the first go, it doesn't mean that your second try is worth any less bc at the end of the day it is still a fricking Victoria sandwich + absolutely no one in the universe who chooses to consume a slice will know that your cake took longer to perfect.

+ For those people who do know + choose to judge you on your cake do not deserve to eat it. :u:

Furthermore, your self-worth does not depend on education + I believe that's really important to realise bc our society makes us feel like that + quite often students are understandably dragged into this idea of: "If I don't do well in my first shot at A-levels, I'm never going to do well."

To me, you are still the fabulous StrawbAri I know, whether or not you can apply into Oxbridge doesn't change that.

I still believe you'll get into somewhere that is just as highly regarded but more suited to you.

I don't know if the sorrow within you lies mostly in the fact you dissapointed yourself or that you dissapointed other people.. or perhaps both, but if it is predominantly the latter then remember that you will get where you want to be + hopefully you'll look back on this moment in the future + be able to feel proud of the fact that you still made it, even with all the obstacles.

It may be a different route but as long as the destination is still 'X' then that's all that matters.

I am saying all of this + I know it may sound empty bc it's all just words + for you to WHOLLY feel better, you probably require the desirable outcome that you hope for to come to life.

The resits start in a week and I was having a bit of a crisis earlier today but then I read this thread and now I don't feel so alone anymore

Strawbs, I hope you know that I am always here for you when you're feeling like that.- That's not an empty promise either.

I know that I am not actually always on this site or around + I know it can be difficult to know when it's okay to speak to someone or when it's okay to ask for someone's help but I am always here regardless of everything.

and tbh kinda at peace with myself bc whatever happens happens and maybe screwing up my exams was a godsend bc then I don't have to apply to Oxbridge anymore and I doubt I'd have survived it because of my mental health.

Precisely.

That's how I feel but about the entirety of university.

I don't even think I'm that bothered about it anymore bc I'm currently doing things that I enjoy so much + I feel like I kinda missed out on the sixth form experience the first time around so doing it again does not mean that I'm a failure, it just means that I didn't know what could bring me success so I've been given another chance to find that out.

I don't even know what I want to do anymore.

I don't know what I want to be.

But the funniest thing is it doesn't matter.

All that currently matters to me is being pleased with myself on a daily basis + I've managed to accomplish some of that through failing so essentially I have succeeded.

Maybe not in everyone's eyes, but then again who cares about that. :P

So I'm really glad I found this thread and I'm really glad things are looking up for you and it's given me a bit of motivation now and reassured me that I'm not a horrible failure and that things happen for a reason

You're not in any way whatsoever a failure.

Like, this is so exceedingly hypocritical of me bc I wouldn't believe or listen to anyone who was trying to tell me otherwise for almost a month afterwards. I had wrecked the seemingly most important exams of my entire life + it felt like everyone was just throwing around a bunch of pathetic cliches which in no way could solve the problem.

All the "solutions" felt too .. unreachable.

I can't even describe the pit of despair that was lying within me which admittedly, sometimes still does try + re- absorb my soul.

+ the fact that I couldn't even find a sixth form bc I had come to a decision way too late made me feel utterly hopeless.

But things mostly always, always work out + I mean, I currently catch a train + two buses to get to college which is ridiculously exhausting on a daily basis but it means that I can do what I want + for the first time in forever I am genuinely, 1000% happy studying.

It's strange not having to dread going to school.

+ It's evidently not perfect, but it's.. enough.

Pftt.. I'm not asking for perfect.

If I hadn't failed then I wouldn't be studying with the amazing people I am now.

I'd never have met them.

I wouldn't have discovered that there is a world beyond forcefully doing logarithms at 5am.

What if I hated university?

What if I hated my course?

What if I couldn't handle it bc I wasn't.. well, ready?

I overall do think it was for the best, even if it made me increasingly "..." as a result bc going through all that I don't know.. will hopefully be worth it.

It's only been 3 weeks, but I do believe that this fall will hopefully shape me into a better individual.

+ okay, if the worst comes to the worst + I fail again?

Then yes, there's a good chance I'll cry all over again but I've been through it so meh, I hope I'm prepared for it.

Plus, again.. there will be a way.

Bc there always is. - It's hard to believe it when it feels like you're struggling to reach your desired goal, well.. any goal, but nothing is impossible.

So thanks so much anon :hugs:And I don't mean for this to sound like the generic stuff people always say but you've genuinely inspired me today and I'm grateful for that.

There is no need to thank me, sorry I kinda rambled + I apologise if it came across in a way that was trying too hard to be relatable.

... you're always too kind + I appreciate that.

Wish you the best of luck for your exams next week, you can do this. - Failure is delay, not defeat. :wink:
Anyway I'm glad you've sorted everything now.Hopefully next results day you will be updating us on your B + grades.

Would you mind clearing something up though?
I was reading through this thread and there is something that doesn't quite make sense .you said you did not get below an A all year at as so how did your as happen.did you run out of time or miss out a lot of questions or something.
Original post by Anon_98

I'm really sorry that you didn't do as well as you hoped either + I understand that you most likely don't want to hear an apology for it but yes.. I sort of know what you mean by: "I feel like I'm going to fail again".. that mindset is the whole reason why a huge part of me doesn't want to apply to retake this year's Chem exams.

Anyway, you've got to remember that there were lots of aspects which meant you didn't do as well as you could've this year, right?

+ even if you simply don't know where you went wrong bc it is really difficult to pinpoint the exact reason then remember that one exam does not mean that you're incapable in that entire subject.

There are so, so many factors that could've influenced your performance which I think is what makes our education system so pathetic.

Does that mean that all future bakes of yours are going to result in an inedible batter?

No, no it doesn't.

Bc maybe you just didn't mix it for as long as you should've or maybe you didn't leave it in the oven for long enough.

Why is it that in those situations we're able to rationally explain + understand but when it comes to academia, the majority of people assume you must be useless bc you got a dreadful D grade in a test.

It doesn't mean you don't know how to mix, it doesn't mean that you are a bad cook, it just means that you possibly didn't follow the recipe as well as you could've.

You're not stupid bc the eggs weren't fluffy enough, you're not incompetent bc the oven should've been at gas mark 7 but due to your anxiousness you read it as 8 + you're not worthless bc the flour still had lumps bc all of those things were out of your own control.

Just bc some people managed to get it right on the first go, it doesn't mean that your second try is worth any less bc at the end of the day it is still a fricking Victoria sandwich + absolutely no one in the universe who chooses to consume a slice will know that your cake took longer to perfect.

+ For those people who do know + choose to judge you on your cake do not deserve to eat it. :u:

Furthermore, your self-worth does not depend on education + I believe that's really important to realise bc our society makes us feel like that + quite often students are understandably dragged into this idea of: "If I don't do well in my first shot at A-levels, I'm never going to do well."

To me, you are still the fabulous StrawbAri I know, whether or not you can apply into Oxbridge doesn't change that.

I still believe you'll get into somewhere that is just as highly regarded but more suited to you.

I don't know if the sorrow within you lies mostly in the fact you dissapointed yourself or that you dissapointed other people.. or perhaps both, but if it is predominantly the latter then remember that you will get where you want to be + hopefully you'll look back on this moment in the future + be able to feel proud of the fact that you still made it, even with all the obstacles.

It may be a different route but as long as the destination is still 'X' then that's all that matters.

I am saying all of this + I know it may sound empty bc it's all just words + for you to WHOLLY feel better, you probably require the desirable outcome that you hope for to come to life.

Strawbs, I hope you know that I am always here for you when you're feeling like that.- That's not an empty promise either.

I know that I am not actually always on this site or around + I know it can be difficult to know when it's okay to speak to someone or when it's okay to ask for someone's help but I am always here regardless of everything.

Precisely.

I don't even think I'm that bothered about it anymore bc I'm currently doing things that I enjoy so much + I feel like I kinda missed out on the sixth form experience the first time around so doing it again does not mean that I'm a failure, it just means that I didn't know what could bring me success so I've been given another chance to find that out.

All that currently matters to me is being pleased with myself on a daily basis + I've managed to accomplish some of that through failing so essentially I have succeeded.

Like, this is so exceedingly hypocritical of me bc I wouldn't believe or listen to anyone who was trying to tell me otherwise for almost a month afterwards. I had wrecked the seemingly most important exams of my entire life + it felt like everyone was just throwing around a bunch of pathetic cliches which in no way could solve the problem.

I can't even describe the pit of despair that was lying within me which admittedly, sometimes still does try + re- absorb my soul.

+ the fact that I couldn't even find a sixth form bc I had come to a decision way too late made me feel utterly hopeless.

But things mostly always, always work out + I mean, I currently catch a train + two buses to get to college which is ridiculously exhausting on a daily basis but it means that I can do what I want + for the first time in forever I am genuinely, 1000% happy studying.

If I hadn't failed then I wouldn't be studying with the amazing people I am now.

I'd never have met them.

I wouldn't have discovered that there is a world beyond forcefully doing logarithms at 5am.

I overall do think it was for the best, even if it made me increasingly "..." as a result bc going through all that I don't know.. will hopefully be worth it.

It's only been 3 weeks, but I do believe that this fall will hopefully shape me into a better individual.

Then yes, there's a good chance I'll cry all over again but I've been through it so meh, I hope I'm prepared for it.

Bc there always is. - It's hard to believe it when it feels like you're struggling to reach your desired goal, well.. any goal, but nothing is impossible.

There is no need to thank me, sorry I kinda rambled + I apologise if it came across in a way that was trying too hard to be relatable.

Wish you the best of luck for your exams next week, you can do this. - Failure is delay, not defeat. :wink:

Pleased to hear that things seem to be looking up for you Anon :smile: :hugs:
I did a year of Uni last year and it turned out to be the most stressful period of my life thus far. I've since worked out University is not for me. Uni isn't everything, despite what society says...
(edited 7 years ago)
i feel really bad for you. but dont worry this is not the end of the world, there is one thing you can do, which is to retake your a-levels, but be aware that some universities might not accept retakes, so confirm with the university before retaking
Reply 93
Original post by Inspiringvisons
so how did your as happen.did you run out of time or miss out a lot of questions or something.

Yahhhh.. but running out of time is practically a chronic issue so..

Possibly:

- Lack of sleep which had an effect/Blah.
- Didn't know how to answer questions despite knowing stuff. (Felt like I did tho. )
- Got overstressed thus made a mess.
- Didn't revise hard enough. (Felt like I did tho.)
- Class style tests were not representative of exam style tests. ( Probably were tho.)
- I literally don't know. I don't recall. It was last year. I don't know. I'm not an examiner, I don't know. I DON'T KNOW.
- Some things... many things do not make sense.
- ASJHDKKKLKFJKDFHWEEJWKFNCSVJKDF.
- *cri.*
- Lmao.

You're essentially asking how I failed which is quite ridiculous, if I knew then surely it wouldn't have re-occurred. :nutcase:

Original post by SassKing13
Pleased to hear that things seem to be looking up for you Anon :smile: :hugs:
I did a year of Uni last year and it turned out to be the most stressful period of my life thus far. I've since worked out University is not for me. Uni isn't everything, despite what society says...

Ly lots.
Original post by Anon_98

Possibly:

- Didn't know how to answer questions despite knowing stuff. (Felt like I did tho. )
- Class style tests were not representative of exam style tests. ( Probably were tho.)
- I literally don't know. I don't recall. It was last year. I don't know. I'm not an examiner, I don't know. I DON'T KNOW.
- *cri.*
- Lmao.

You're essentially asking how I failed which is quite ridiculous, if I knew then surely it wouldn't have re-occurred. :nutcase:

Ly lots.

PRSOM :smile:
Original post by Anon_98

No, no it doesn't.

Precisely.

I'd never have met them.

This was a really lovely message to read anon :hugs:
And yes what you've said is true even though it's tough to kinda convince yourself of it but nonetheless it's true.
And yes I understand what you mean about not listening to anyone (I didn't listen to anyone either though I suppose they were just trying to help) bc at that moment it just feels like your whole world has come to a standstill and all the hard work you put in for the year was pretty much for nothing but like you said these things are just blessings in disguise and even though you're kinda shattered a bit emotionally and scared and apprehensive it's just something you have to keep in mind so you stay sane :lol:

And yes society does put a lot of pressure on us nowadays. Because you failed your A levels doesn't mean you're thick or stupid and yes the baking analogy is accurate (reminded me of GBBO :lol:)

Anyway, I'm glad you've come to this conclusion and it's made me a bit more hopeful about the future and it's not as bleak as it I thought it was. Hopefully It'll also be an opportunity to learn more about myself and where I want to go in life that'll be more manageable for my health.

And thank you anon really. It may just be words on a screen but that you took the time and effort to type all this out is heartwarming in a way.
And I'm here for you too if you ever need it. And like you I understand it's difficult to gauge when a person wants to talk or not but if you want to my PMs are always open. It's nice to have someone you can relate to.

And no it wasn't at all. In fact it's one of the best responses I've gotten about this tbh. It's real and it's honest and it's not promising some far away happiness just the honest truth and I appreciate it. You're a lovely person, even in the midst of all of life's **** you're still a star to me anyway.

:hugs:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm glad you're back on track OP :smile: We are all pressured so much to exceed in school and if we don't get A's then we've failed.

I went to college, came out with CCEe at A level. Was absolutely gutted as was used to getting top grades throughout GCSEs.

Instead of retaking A levels, I decided to enrol on to two Open Univeristy courses. They were great fun, I had access to fantastic resources and the university way of learning suited me a lot better. I flew through the exams with flying colours. So I applied to Russel Group unis with my OU certificates.

Here I am now, just started my third year of a STEM degree at a Russel Group. Sometimes it takes a little longer to get to where you want to be, but there is always a way to reach it!
Original post by Anon_98

Possibly:

- *cri.*
- Lmao.

Sorry I didn't realise it was such a ridiculous question.

I personally messed up really badly this year and know if I messed up next year that it would look really bad.

and thus the As in class but messing up in the real exam scared me.as it meant irregardless of your performance throughout the year you could still mess up when it counts.

Anyway I really appreciate you clearing this up for me.
So thank you and best of luck with this year
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anon_98

Possibly:

- *cri.*
- Lmao.

Ly lots.

I know it's not my place to speak... But maybe it's best to reflect upon your study methods? I remember your revision thread. You might have exhausted yourself? Maybe try balancing your work and relaxation more thoroughly? It feels as if you put way too much pressure on yourself and buckled under it?
Original post by Anon_98
Right, so I'm going to apologise for how long this will be in advance but I need advice so I think it's vital I go into detail. I'm also just going to put my pride aside + include my grades in this post bc I don't care enough anymore to be embarassed by them but I'd really appreciate it if the responses are somewhat considerate.

Okay so, obviously yesterday was A level results day + I'm not an A* student by any means, but I honestly, honestly expected to do a whole lot better than I did.

My AS subjects were Bio, Chem, Maths + Physics.

My A2 subjects were Bio Chem + Maths.

I literally still cannot believe the marks that I got from some units, I genuinely think there's been a mistake or something bc I came out of a few exams 100% knowing I had at least got an A from mark schemes, common sense etc + yet on my sheet it states otherwise but perhaps I'm simply not as good at exams as I thought. Well, exceedingly terrible.

Last year I completed my AS levels + came out with CDEU.

At the time, I thought I tried for them but tbh, I think I just thought they'd be like GCSEs + looking back, I most probably deserved those grades from the level of work I put in. They still came as an absolute shock to me though bc throughout the first year, I was getting A grades in all class tests. Every single one. I don't think I received below an A grade in any mocks etc. (Bar physics, ofc. )

So this year, I dropped physics + retook all my AS exams from last year as well as my A2 exams and slightly improved the AS grades of CDE to BCE in Chemistry, Maths + Biology, respectively. To say I am dissapointed would be a severe understatement but.. whatever.

My A2 grades however, were DEU.

In every single Biology exam from AS + A2, I got a U.

I got a fricking U in my resits.

Who the hell gets a U grade in a resit.

But it's done.

I also got an E or U in every A2 exam.

I don't enjoy Biology, truanted almost every lesson, found it really difficult + yeah, idk maybe that explains it.

I don't enjoy maths, didn't attempt a few of my final maths exams despite studying for them bc I was really fed up so maybe that explains that grade.

I don't know anymore.

I'm really confused with Chemistry tho. It's the only A level out of the 3, that I'm semi-okay at + I don't know wtf happened. I literally don't know. I was so dreadfully upset, rightfully angry + confused + wtf nah.

So instead of going into sixth form like I should have, I cried for hours, started developing a self-loathing attitude then went to bed for some much needed sleep + celebrated my *****y results afterwards.

Despite my beyond horrific results, I surprisingly had a pretty great day.

But I've calmed down now + over it all so I have decided to evaluate:

I don't know whether A levels are not for me.

I don't know whether the sciences + maths aren't for me.

I don't know whether it's bc it's just been a difficult year.

I don't know whether I took up way too many exams + did more than I could manage.

I don't know.

I would like to study Chemistry at University so apprenticeships + the like aren't for me.

I know that not everyone needs to go to uni but I personally would v much like to go bc I feel like it's a life experience that I wouldn't want to miss out on + I certainly still do believe that I'm capable of achieving something that I'd be proud of whether that be during higher education or after several attempts at A level.

I can't speak to any one professional from school bc I didn't go in yesterday so I'm resorting to asking advice from TSR.

Yes, I regret not going in but I can't do anything about it now.

I realise TSR isn't the best place either bc anyone who fails is deemed as relatively unworthy.

The funny thing was people were trying to comfort me by giving tons of examples of all these business men who got straight U's + are now earning £34897584839, but I don't want to be a business person, I only want to study some compounds that I can't pronounce the names of so it's not exactly accurate or reassuring.

Anyway, I did try really hard during the year, I looked back on stuff + it seems that I started revising in February.

But I don't know whether I burnt out when it got to June.

Or let myself go in the exam hall.

I feel so helpless hence why I'm here.

Tbh, after yesterday.. I am genuinely past caring + I don't actually care anymore about it.

About anything.

Nor do I wish to discuss this matter bc I'd more than happily go with the flow + live each day as it comes then laugh at the outcome.

But I know that in reality, I have to sort this out in order to continue breathing, I just don't know how.

So my first plan is that I retake all my A2 exams this year.

The problem with that tho is that I don't know if I like science anymore, I don't know if I'd be able to cope with doing the same work all over again. I'd be applying as a private candidate so I don't know if I'd have the motivation. What if I get bored + give up? Regardless of those doubts, it feels like the easier option since I have all the material.

My second "idea" is that I take up a whole new set of A levels. - English Lit, Photography + Art + Design.

The problem with that is I don't know what I'd end up doing at University, I'd have to move sixth form + do another 2 years at school + I don't know if my body is up for that. The good part is that I'd probably feel motivated to complete them bc it'd be something new + something I'm interested in.

The third option is that I go abroad + run away from my problems.

No, really.

Go to Africa for a week this August, then if I like it enough defer + stay there for a few months, volunteer + most likely get stressed out again once I return to England. This is infact what my parent would like me to do on the basis that I need "time off" + it'd benefit me. I don't know how that'd help in an academic light but there we go.

If anyone has any advice on what to do then please do share, I'm pretty desperate.

+ well, for anyone else who is sort of in the same position.. remember that you can't have a pretty rainbow without lots of rain. :'3

I know this is a bit late to say but I got the exact same grades at AS (I got CDEU In English lit, chemistry, maths and biology respectively) and I’ve got my exams in a few weeks-I feel like I’m on the way to failing my A levels and I don’t know what to do, just looking for advice, what did you end up doing?

Latest