The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samantham999
Realistically, isn't it difficult to get in with a non-target uni unless you do economics/maths/engineering?

Yeah it is a lot harder but not impossible I would say
Are you studying economics?
p.s do you think KCL is a good semi target? like its pretty internationally recognised

Finance. I've not seen anyone from KCL before if I'm honest even though it is a good uni. If IB is your goal, I'd say Bristol, Bath, Nottingham or Cass were better on a pure placement basis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice! tbh I would rather do maths at KCL then finance or accounting at cass because even though its good i will be stuck with saying its part of city uni which is not great IMO

did you do lots of insight days ect?

I would have said finance at Cass would have a better chance (purely on uni basis) than maths at KCL for FO anyway
Guys, what unis do you come from? are they all target? or semi target

Target.
Nice! tbh I would rather do maths at KCL then finance or accounting at cass because even though its good i will be stuck with saying its part of city uni which is not great IMO

did you do lots of insight days ect?

Yeah I did six insight days at various banks and one consulting company. Attended lots of networking events in my first year. One spring week. One summer internship at a no-name firm. One IBD internship and a placement year.
target
guys, anyone able to tell me what MS first round interview for IBD is like?
sent of my application to Citi a week and a half ago, haven't been invited to test yet, is that normal (IBD)?
I get that but cass is not a uni its a business school which is party of city uni so really you go to city
PLUS cass was accepting students who had ABB/A*BC in clearing this year

Kcl is way more internationally known, and they pretty much require A*AA/AAA for maths and economics and its semi target

all i am saying is that i have seen a fair few Cass grads in FO whereas I dont remember any from KCL. btw ABB is 320 UCAS points, most places who ask for UCAS points (e.g. UBS) only want 300 so dont over think it on those basis of which uni requires what a levels haha
Original post by cleverboy12
sent of my application to Citi a week and a half ago, haven't been invited to test yet, is that normal (IBD)?

yeah, they are all over the place this year, mine took ages dont worry!
are 3 insight days enough? P.s for insight days you submit your application right? is it good to do voluntary work too ect in sports because I heard IB love it

are you in your 3rd year?

Yeah, I'm final year. I don't think they really care that much about insight days to be honest. They're good for learning more about the industry, meeting people and knowing how the application process works. Three will be fine, although I see no harm in doing more. Yes, they love voluntary work and sports, they're all over it.
I get that but cass is not a uni its a business school which is party of city uni so really you go to city
PLUS cass was accepting students who had ABB/A*BC in clearing this year

Kcl is way more internationally known, and they pretty much require A*AA/AAA for maths and economics and its semi target

This is true but Cass is listed separately on the drop-down on the applications.

You should follow and study where you feel most comfortable as that is likely where you'll excel.

Also, I know someone who is from Cass who is in Healthcare M&A at JPM so they don't just reject because "it's part of City". A quick LinkedIn search disproves this idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ox2018
I reckon that they are just being flooded with applications atm so I would not read anything into it

Not to make you guys freak out, but last year it happened to a friend and he ended up being rejected. And another friend had the phone interview last Friday and was invited to the AC Monday. Maybe there is a sort of maybe pool for people they want to compare to more candidates before making a decision...?
Original post by cleverboy12
guys, anyone able to tell me what MS first round interview for IBD is like?

Last year mine was basic tell me about yourself, a lot about motivation followed by some valuation questions, LBO questions and financial statement analysis questions (told me to write down a financial statement and fill in the blanks - "from the info I just gave you, what is net income?" etc.) There were also a couple of mental math questions. I think it varies hugely by interviewer though so don't read too much into this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kate992
Congrats! How many questions do you think you got right in the test (just trying to get a general idea on where I stand :biggrin: )?

I think I got 5-7 q's correct, and passed. A few others have said 6, 7 or 8, so I would guess 6 is a probable benchmark. Although as Parham says, it may depend on your sequence of correct answers due to comp adaptive testing.
Original post by Commercial Paper
This is true but Cass is listed separately on the drop-down on the applications.

You should follow and study where you feel most comfortable as that is likely where you'll excel.

Also, I know someone who is from Cass who is in Healthcare M&A at JPM so they don't just reject because "it's part of City". A quick LinkedIn search disproves this idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I have seen that, and true! I just want to go to a target or strong semi target tbh, american banks want the equivalent of ivy league schools tbh ;

P.s are these gcse grades ok A*A*A* AAA BB
Yeah I have seen that, and true! I just want to go to a target or strong semi target tbh, american banks want the equivalent of ivy league schools tbh ;

P.s are these gcse grades ok A*A*A* AAA BB

Yeah, those grades are fine. They don't even ask for GCSEs half the time. You sound set on KCL so my advice would be to go there if that's what you really want. You might end up hating IB anyway and want to go into something alternative.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jaspermore
Not to make you guys freak out, but last year it happened to a friend and he ended up being rejected. And another friend had the phone interview last Friday and was invited to the AC Monday. Maybe there is a sort of maybe pool for people they want to compare to more candidates before making a decision...?

you are probably right
True! the hours are insane and a lot of people get out or change divisions tbh
do you go to a london uni?
btw did you just finish your internship and waiting for an full time offer?

Will PM you uni.

Nah, did the internship in 2015 and didn't get an offer as there was no headcount. Had a placement year already lined up so just carried on with that and I'm holding a full-time offer for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper
Yeah I did six insight days at various banks and one consulting company. Attended lots of networking events in my first year. One spring week. One summer internship at a no-name firm. One IBD internship and a placement year.

What did you do for placement year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending