The Student Room Group

What a levels should I take

I'm still unsure of what career I want to go into but I know I'm interested in science.
I was thinking of doing biology and psychology for my a levels. I'm unsure of what I should do for my third a level but I hear Environmental science is going to be introduced, so should I do that too.

I want to maybe get into midwifery or something biology related.

What do you guys think? Are those good options?

P.S the curriculum and stuff is changing so I think we're only allowed to take 3 a levels now as students from 2017 can't take AS levels. But that's from what I've heard :smile:
Thanks

edit: one more thing, I hear maths is a good choice but I suck at it and have the least bit interest in it

I really just wanna get your opinion on my choices. so do you guys think Biology, Psychology and environmental science are good a levels to do?
(edited 7 years ago)
Biology + 2 subjects that you really enjoy at GCSE
Reply 2
Whats important is not to think about what you 'should' do but what you want to do! If you enjoy something and you're good at it, then this is the best thing to do at A level, as it is ultimately what you are going to the best in. If you choose based on this, then the career options are also likely to be something you enjoy.

Having said this, if you want to go into science, I would recommend Maths as it opens so many doors as is highly regarded :smile:

Try to go to taster lessons at school as this is what really helped me. Hope this was helpful!
Reply 3
Original post by alexkj
Whats important is not to think about what you 'should' do but what you want to do! If you enjoy something and you're good at it, then this is the best thing to do at A level, as it is ultimately what you are going to the best in. If you choose based on this, then the career options are also likely to be something you enjoy.

Having said this, if you want to go into science, I would recommend Maths as it opens so many doors as is highly regarded :smile:

Try to go to taster lessons at school as this is what really helped me. Hope this was helpful!

Hey alexkj. thanks for answer it really helped im thinking of doing some taster lessons. the one problem is, I suck at maths and im the least bit interested in it. thogh I am super interested in science so I think my heart is set on doing psychology, biology and environmental science a levels. I just wanna know other peoples opinions if they think their good choices. Do you?
Maths, biology, psychology
13533073_904105616382936_5002885432529504955_n.jpgTake Politics, pure bants just cuz. Top quality kek.
I do Psychology.. I am year 12 so one year ahead of you. So far i am really enjoying it. If you enjoy science then i think this is a good option for you (sounds like you do?). Within my first few weeks, i realise you will have to work really hard at it due to a lot of content but then again every a level requires hard work! Its my fave subject :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by samantham999
Maths, biology, psychology

I suck at maths sod o you recommend anything other than that? what about environmental science in place of it?
Reply 8
Original post by dancer7777777
I do Psychology.. I am year 12 so one year ahead of you. So far i am really enjoying it. If you enjoy science then i think this is a good option for you (sounds like you do?). Within my first few weeks, i realise you will have to work really hard at it due to a lot of content but then again every a level requires hard work! Its my fave subject :smile:

Thanks so much. youre answer really helps :smile: also good luck on your a level exams
Original post by Student879
I'm still unsure of what career I want to go into but I know I'm interested in science.
I was thinking of doing biology and psychology for my a levels. I'm unsure of what I should do for my third a level but I hear Environmental science is going to be introduced, so should I do that too.

I want to maybe get into midwifery or something biology related.

What do you guys think? Are those good options?

P.S the curriculum and stuff is changing so I think we're only allowed to take 3 a levels now as students from 2017 can't take AS levels. But that's from what I've heard :smile:
Thanks

Ok so the most important thing is that you enjoy the subjects your gonna take (obviously)

As your third a level I think it would be good to choose maths as it definitely looks impressive and is a requirement for many degrees
you could also look at doing chemistry a level depending on how interested in science you are

as for environment science, look into the course and the specification, if it is something that interests you then i would say you should definitely go for it

the advice i was given when i chose my a levels was to choose one maths, either biology or chemistry and a subject you enjoy

good luck
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MyNameIsSaraOk
Ok so the most important thing is that you enjoy the subjects your gonna take (obviously)

As your third a level I think it would be good to choose maths as it definitely looks impressive and is a requirement for many degrees
you could also look at doing chemistry a level depending on how interested in science you are

as for environment science, look into the course and the specification, if it is something that interests you then i would say you should definitely go for it

the advice i was given when i chose my a levels was to choose one maths, either biology or chemistry and a subject you enjoy

good luck

thanks for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest