The Student Room Group

How do I prepare for PAT?

hey everyone i am taking the pat exam on the 2nd of november and i am looking for resources or questions to do. i have downloaded the past papers but i dont think that it will be enough if i do a past paper every other day or so , i have also got AS physics olympiad papers but i am looking for a physics book which has problems which are mainly based on the a level syllabus but the difficulty is beyond a level. Something like pat style questions where you have to solve unfamiliar problems. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book which could improve my problem solving ability in physics.
Reply 1
Original post by petikepetike
hey everyone i am taking the pat exam on the 2nd of november and i am looking for resources or questions to do. i have downloaded the past papers but i dont think that it will be enough if i do a past paper every other day or so , i have also got AS physics olympiad papers but i am looking for a physics book which has problems which are mainly based on the a level syllabus but the difficulty is beyond a level. Something like pat style questions where you have to solve unfamiliar problems. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book which could improve my problem solving ability in physics.

Not too easy to get a hold of, but Whelan and Hodgson is very good. There's a book of exercises that goes with it too -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0719536618/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=
Reply 2
Original post by lerjj
Not too easy to get a hold of, but Whelan and Hodgson is very good. There's a book of exercises that goes with it too -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0719536618/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Thank you very much, I have just ordered the book, it was the last one in stock so I'm pretty lucky, it is in used condition though. I hope it will help me prepare for the PAT. I mean the book is really old but if it has got some challenging exercises then that's good.
Reply 3
Original post by petikepetike
Thank you very much, I have just ordered the book, it was the last one in stock so I'm pretty lucky, it is in used condition though. I hope it will help me prepare for the PAT. I mean the book is really old but if it has got some challenging exercises then that's good.

I haven't got the exercise book myself, but I used the textbook for A2 Physics and it was very good. It's designed for the old UK A level syllabus which covered a bit more and still had calculus in it, which mirrors the PAT/BPhO papers very well.

(The actual textbook was useful. I never got the exercises but they come on reccommendation of a physics fellow from Trinity, Cambridge so I expect their good.)
Reply 4
Original post by lerjj
I haven't got the exercise book myself, but I used the textbook for A2 Physics and it was very good. It's designed for the old UK A level syllabus which covered a bit more and still had calculus in it, which mirrors the PAT/BPhO papers very well.

(The actual textbook was useful. I never got the exercises but they come on reccommendation of a physics fellow from Trinity, Cambridge so I expect their good.)

It looks really useful, I have seen some good reviews on it and even if it is out of date it doesnt matter, I assume it covers a wide range of topics so I can pick out the ones I need.I was looking for something like this because there is nothing else that is aimed at these oxbridge tests. I have bought the textbook as well, I mean there is a 500 page version called the essential principles of physics from the same author, I think that is the textbook if I'm right. Thankyou again for recommending me this book, I'm sure it will help a lot.
Reply 5
There is a tutor my son used who has an excellent set of resources which you can buy without the tutoring package. My son didn't get in but that is not at all due to the tutor who we both thought was excellent. He is David Lewis:
http://physicsaptitudetest.weebly.com/

Quick Reply

Latest