The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spotify95
1) Possibly, however, what is of more importance is how much the battery is used, and what intensity tasks are done on the battery power (though heat can and will damage the battery). What is more important, is that the batteries themselves do not get hot, and thankfully with the cooling pad, and the battery location, the battery is well away from the hot bits of the laptop (cooling fan and CPU). Battery warnings do appear at low battery (10% charge) and critical battery (5% charge), and it auto-hibernates at 5%. Also, there will be a notification when the full capacity of the battery (100% charge) is less than 40% of the designed capacity (capacity at 100% charge when new) - and then you should replace the battery. Overheating hasn't caused any major effects though, since the Acer managed 3 years on its original battery, and the Acer has been overheating since, at the latest, when the machine was 10 months old.
2) Yes, the CPU spikes during any page load, though on TSR, it is more noticeable than on other websites. Hence, sometimes the Acer will be stuck at 25%+ CPU usage for quite a while and the laptop will start throttling due to getting too hot!
3) Let's hope so :smile: Battery life on all devices, including phones, tablets and laptops, should be a high priority...

That is precisely the case. :smile: Preferably, one does not want the battery warnings to occur, thus the battery should be replaced accordingly, to prevent such a situation. :smile:

I must admit, that three years is a decent length of time for a laptop battery, prior to it becoming critical.

Yes, I have noticed that; even Youtube does not result in vast CPU spikes! Oh dear, by throttling you mean the frame rate drops, there is a vast amount of lag and crashing on the webpages?

Yes, I completely concur with that; after all, the device/computer/laptop in question - cannot function without a usable battery! :smile:

:moon:

Haha, you really couldn't make that up... in real life, I'm one of the most honest people out there who would never do such a thing!
I'm spending my time now where it really matters, i.e. on here. Any notifications on that other thread will be ignored/deleted.

Nope, no reply yet. Tbh I'm honestly thinking about just reporting him because at least he'll get banned temporarily, before he creates a new account...

Why are we reporting him he hasn't caused any disruptions yet? I say we let him post since he's at least behaving himself. When he causes a disruption then we report him.
Original post by mr T 999

Why are we reporting him he hasn't caused any disruptions yet? I say we let him post since he's at least behaving himself. When he causes a disruption then we report him.

he shouldn't be posting here anyway though and I've seen him post for almost a week under that name, with no intervention?

Next time I'll let him post until CT get round to dealing with him.

he shouldn't be posting here anyway though and I've seen him post for almost a week under that name, with no intervention?

Next time I'll let him post until CT get round to dealing with him.

Hmmm I see your point. :holmes:

Tbh TSR are run by bunch incompotent monkeys they are always so slow to respond/fix things :dry:

AtCT need to wake up :slap:
Original post by mr T 999

Hmmm I see your point. :holmes:

Tbh TSR are run by bunch incompotent monkeys they are always so slow to respond/fix things :dry:

AtCT need to wake up :slap:
A bit unfair. They mean well and some of them are great. The problem comes when communication breaks down...
Let's hope so :smile: After all, if I get an unlocked Android with 4G Calling, then it'd be excellent. :smile: I'm not switching to iOS because I'd have to transfer everything across to my new device, as well as find all my apps again (some of which might end up being paid), plus Android integrates everything with Gmail/Google quite nicely. :smile: The iPhone 7 is a phone that confirms my desire of sticking to Android.

The removal of the 3.5mm jack was a crazy choice - because people now have to mess about with adapters, and of course there is an issue with charging and listening to music at the same time.

Indeed it would be, you would have everything required in a single phone if the LG G4 enabled 4G Calling. Yes, you are correct - you would have to pay for some of the apps; for example, I know that Anki Flash Cards is free on Android, but has to be paid for on iOS (I believe it is around $18-$19). There are various other examples of this, however - the Anki Flash Cards are just one of those examples. :h:

Yes, I agree; ultimately, it was a poor move forward with the iPhone 7. :frown:

(edited 7 years ago)

Latest