The Student Room Group

GCSEs?

Hi I'm in year 9
I want to be a vet/programmer/architect when I grow up.
For GCSE I'm taking computer science, triple science, music and history.
I also am thinking about doing architecture (if that's a thing), astronomy, Japanese and Mandarin (And possible geography)
Does anyone have experience with doing lots of gcses? I have a pretty good memory if I'm interested in the subject (for example remembering all the scenes in an episode I just watched + entire script if I watch it a couple more times) , I just want advice on doing any out of school gcses.

Scroll to see replies

astronomy, architecture and mandarin are not at GCSE
Reply 2
Original post by KnowledgeIsBest

Yes they are actually. I think for 'architecture' they might want to consider design and technology - not too sure on that one. The others certainly are.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Splatoon
Hi I'm in year 9
I want to be a vet/programmer/architect when I grow up.
For GCSE I'm taking computer science, triple science, music and history.
I also am thinking about doing architecture (if that's a thing), astronomy, Japanese and Mandarin (And possible geography)
Does anyone have experience with doing lots of gcses? I have a pretty good memory if I'm interested in the subject (for example remembering all the scenes in an episode I just watched + entire script if I watch it a couple more times) , I just want advice on doing any out of school gcses.

You can only do 3 other GCSE's other than
English Language
English Literature
Chemistry
Biology
Physics
Maths
? 1st Option
? 2nd Option
? 3rd Option

SO You should choose wisely...

Ideally for your job, you should do A language
Something you will get a definite 9 in
Either Geography or History

But definitely take triple science....
Original post by Boss_Rhythm
English Language
English Literature
Chemistry
Biology
Physics
Maths
? 1st Option
? 2nd Option
? 3rd Option

It depends on your school, at my school you take four extra options, but one must be a language. I would be reluctant to take so many exams - even with a good memory, it would be a huge amount of work! It is better to do really well in 10 subjects than average in 16. If you want to be an architect, then DT would be advised, if not essential. If you do do some out of school, then maybe choose DT and Mandarin or Japanese.
The job market changes a lot so I would just chosen the GCSEs you are personally interested in, not the ones that will get you your planned vet/programmer/architect wombo combo. Have your broad interests, because hey, you might not want to be a vet in a few years and so taking Biology for no reason (example, I know Science is core).

Also GCSEs aren't that hard, you can do it.

Also I like your username, Splatoon. Great game. :wink:

So, list all of the subjects your school provides at GCSEs, cross out the ones you hate, and go until you find the GCSEs you like. Tell us your result!
Original post by KnowledgeIsBest

Yes they are, they are not popular but I have seen them on some exam board's websites:smile:
English Language
English Literature
Chemistry
Biology
Physics
Maths
? 1st Option
? 2nd Option
? 3rd Option

SO You should choose wisely...

Ideally for your job, you should do A language
Something you will get a definite 9 in
Either Geography or History

But definitely take triple science....

Nah it depends on your school. I did 11 gcse's, and 4 of them were options!:smile:
Original post by sunshine774
Nah it depends on your school. I did 11 gcse's, and 4 of them were options!:smile:

The new curriculum says otherwise... From year 10 onwards is the real deal...
The new curriculum says otherwise... From year 10 onwards is the real deal...

Oh I didn't know that! Are you doing your gcse's then?:smile:
Oh I didn't know that! Are you doing your gcse's then?:smile:

Yes, I'm in Year 10... Soon gonna have to get outta TSR...
Yes, I'm in Year 10... Soon gonna have to get outta TSR...

Oh well I did my gcse's last year and I spent WAY too much time on tsr- it's a good idea to get off it soon!:smile: Best of luck!x:biggrin:
Oh well I did my gcse's last year and I spent WAY too much time on tsr- it's a good idea to get off it soon!:smile: Best of luck!x:biggrin:

Yh, its changed now... significantly :biggrin:

Yh, I'm leaving at the beginning of Year 11
I need TSR for French Help :wink:
Yh, its changed now... significantly

Yh, I'm leaving at the beginning of Year 11
I need TSR for French Help :wink:

Yeah well TSR can actually be extremely useful; there are some people on here who have invaluable advice!:smile: Best of luck with your french!x:biggrin:

Spoiler

Yeah well TSR can actually be extremely useful; there are some people on here who have invaluable advice!:smile: Best of luck with your french!x:biggrin:

Spoiler

That is true :biggrin:
Thank you! I regret taking it tho, history would've been easier for me :biggrin:

Yh, spanish was good...
That is true :biggrin:
Thank you! I regret taking it tho, history would've been easier for me :biggrin:

Yh, spanish was good...

Oh really, what options did you take then?:smile: Also, it might not be easy for you, however having a good grade in a language is always useful!:smile:
Oh really, what options did you take then?:smile: Also, it might not be easy for you, however having a good grade in a language is always useful!:smile:

English Language
English Literature
Maths
Chemistry
Biology
Physics
*Geography
Statistics
*French
*Buisiness Studies

*=Are options
English Language
English Literature
Maths
Chemistry
Biology
Physics
*Geography
Statistics
*French
*Buisiness Studies

*=Are options

Oh ok, my options were business studies, computing, food and nutrition and spanish. I got an A overall in business, and an A* in one of the papers- do if you need any advice just ask!:smile:
Oh ok, my options were business studies, computing, food and nutrition and spanish. I got an A overall in business, and an A* in one of the papers- do if you need any advice just ask!:smile:

Okay... DW, my sister is doing a degree in Buisness Management, so I won't be needing much help :biggrin:
Okay... DW, my sister is doing a degree in Buisness Management, so I won't be needing much help :biggrin:

Oh OK- at least you have someone to help you!:smile: Best of luck!x:biggrin: