The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1140
Original post by Mathsmad123
Hey. Lucky for you, that almost all unis don't take AS grades into consideration, just your predicted. I know leeds will look at them.
This is the first year sheffield are using the UKCAT cut off and they said if they used it last year, 675 would have been the cut off. Last year sheffield basically used PS.
Your UKCAT seems pretty good so manchester and sheffield would be smart choices, of course manchester like people who have done a lot of care work! yes newcastle is risky imo, but glasgow looks good since the cut of last year was 663 and the year before was well below 650! Dundee may look as AS levels in their academic score so make sure you email dundee to make sure, but if dundee don't look at AS, it seems like a good choice for you imo and also aberdeen since ur predicted grades are good. And lmao, medicine is medicine doesn't matter where you do it, you will still become a doctor.

hey, thanks for the reply! so leeds looks at AS? what if your school doesn't declare them?
also, do you know how much care work manchester would like? i've done about 3 months in a nursing home, the first month i went in 5 days a week though and the next 2 months were weekends, and i'm currently doing voluntary work in feeding the homeless, but haven't been doing it very long.
haha i know it doesn't matter where i do it which is why i'm trying to find my safest options, but my family would prefer me to be closer. atm i'm planning manchester, sheffield, st andrews, and i'm looking more into aberdeen as well
Reply 1141
Original post by Selgomez11
Depends on the university, some are considering predicted grades whilst some aren't. Which universities are you going to apply to?

I mentioned it
King's college
Barts
UEA
Bristol

Medicine
Reply 1142
I'm at a hospital placement right now, and honestly the number of people who told me to dentistry is shocking! Literally everything doctor told me to do dentistry if you're a family person :facepalm:
I'm confused and given that there's like 2 weeks left to apply

If you are influenced by others then medicine ain't for you. You need to have a true passion for it
Reply 1143
Tips:
If you are a more academic person with at least A*A*A predictions. Then, you should apply to either Oxford or Cambridge (just give it a shot). And do the BMAT amazingly :smile:
Original post by 11...
If you are influenced by others then medicine ain't for you. You need to have a true passion for it

Why? I think they're rather sensible for talking to other people in the field tbh, and it's something that almost put me off too. However, despite that, I can say that I'm very much enjoying Medicine so far.
Original post by 11...

However they are people that actually studied medicine and are doctors, I do feel like their opinions are important to consider. That is fundamentally why universities ask students to do work experience.
Original post by usycool1
Why? I think they're rather sensible for talking to other people in the field tbh, and it's something that almost put me off too. However, despite that, I can say that I'm very much enjoying Medicine so far.

I agree. I wouldn't ever want to regret going into a career. I do have a passion for medicine but I don't know if I could cope the long training. That's why I'm trying to figure out by doing work experience.
I agree. I wouldn't ever want to regret going into a career. I do have a passion for medicine but I don't know if I could cope the long training. That's why I'm trying to figure out by doing work experience.

I think it also depends on how much you like studying too and how you'd like your family life to be! I'd love to have kids and I've spoken to so many doctors that told me that it isn't the best career if you want kids but at the end of the day I think if you don't love your career it would be so hard to do that for 40+ years! If you were a consultant and just mainly ran clinics I'm sure a family life would be easier to manage but of course it's getting it to that stage that's the issue!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can I use the abbreviation MDM in my personal statement to save characters? It's well known amongst doctors I believe for 'multidisciplinary meeting'.

What are your suggestions?
Original post by swopnil
Can I use the abbreviation MDM in my personal statement to save characters? It's well known amongst doctors I believe for 'multidisciplinary meeting'.

Not really :/ MDM isnt really a common saying...
Things like ICU for Intensive Care Unit and GP for General Practitioner are good however.
Original post by swopnil

MDT, meaning multidisciplinary team is used, mdm isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
I think it also depends on how much you like studying too and how you'd like your family life to be! I'd love to have kids and I've spoken to so many doctors that told me that it isn't the best career if you want kids but at the end of the day I think if you don't love your career it would be so hard to do that for 40+ years! If you were a consultant and just mainly ran clinics I'm sure a family life would be easier to manage but of course it's getting it to that stage that's the issue!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with you too, I do also think getting into consultancy is quite difficult, you'll prob be around 35-40 depending on which specialty. I'm quite fond of the idea of having children a bit earlier than that. Most women doctors told me that medicine isnt the best idea if you want a family as well :frown: It's a shame that I have about two weeks to figure my life out lol
Original post by Natalierm2707
Hi everyone,

Apologies for my absence over the past few weeks, been taking some time off TSR to get back into second year, I have noticed I have missed many notification and have a tonne of messages to answer, if anyone has asked me a question and hasnt yet got a answer please can you ask again as my inbox is so behind I just havent got a clue where im up to.

:ditto:

I've been far too busy with other, behind-the-scene things on this site in addition to restarting Med School so I've not been able to be on here much. :nah:*
:ditto:

I've been far too busy with other, behind-the-scene things on this site in addition to restarting Med School so I've not been able to be on here much. :nah:*

Ive literally spent the past few weeks out on socials and trying to figure out how to learn again (guilty... the long summer break made me forget), been pretty hectic but I fell back into the swing of it now. We started on Obs&Gynae cases so its a pretty nice welcome back for me!
Original post by Natalierm2707
Ive literally spent the past few weeks out on socials and trying to figure out how to learn again (guilty... the long summer break made me forget), been pretty hectic but I fell back into the swing of it now. We started on Obs&Gynae cases so its a pretty nice welcome back for me!

Learning? What's that? :tongue:

I have pharmacology now and a bit of haematology :nooo:*
Learning? What's that? :tongue:

I have pharmacology now and a bit of haematology :nooo:*

Pharm not be bad, but haematology... I will pass on that one for now haha :lol:
I agree with you too, I do also think getting into consultancy is quite difficult, you'll prob be around 35-40 depending on which specialty. I'm quite fond of the idea of having children a bit earlier than that. Most women doctors told me that medicine isnt the best idea if you want a family as well :frown: It's a shame that I have about two weeks to figure my life out lol

Same here like 28 would be ideal lmao 😂 women doctors at this event told me as well that regulations are looking even worse for women in the future due to things like maternity leave and hours ( this was a year ago now) so it's scary but I'm so set on medicine I couldn't see myself doing anything else that I would enjoy the same amount or feel as fulfilled from! I met a FY2 a few weeks ago with a 3 year old girl so anything is possible I guess lol😂 guess we will just have to wait and see😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
Not really :/ MDM isnt really a common saying...
Things like ICU for Intensive Care Unit and GP for General Practitioner are good however.

Original post by ForestCat
MDT, meaning multidisciplinary team is used, mdm isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Darn it!! MDM is such a long term. But thank you! :smile:
Hello guys,
I want to ask if I can apply to medicine this year and if so where should I apply. I have always wanted to do medicine because it interests me so much, and through work experience, I confirmed this. Any foundation courses will do. I can't do BMAT because most BMAT unis want B for English.

GCSE stats:
Maths: A*
Further Maths AQA : A
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
ICT: A
Statistics: A
Geography: B
English Lang: C
English Lit: C
French: C

Ukcat
VR - 520
QR - 740
AR - 610
SJT - Band 2 Average - 624

As - Internal exams
A2 predicted grades - AAA - A*AA
Thanks in advance guys.
(edited 7 years ago)
does anyone know if Aberdeen, St Andrews and Dundee use MMI or traditional interview? I think they all use MMI but can't find conformation of that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending