The Student Room Group

Not much luck with uni mates

Hello,

I've never had much of a problem making friends, school was fine, then I did a 1 year foundation degree and had a great time with the people there and made really good friends. I went travelling with complete strangers and got on great with them.
I thought uni would be the same, turns out students aren't as friendly as I suspected... making friends on my course has been a nightmare and because of it I dread going to seminars and lectures. To be honest I'm not the most extrovert socialable person going but I can have a laugh and can hold a conversation haha.

I have a few friends outside of uni but the fact that's I've failed to make good relations on my course gets me down. Anyone else have this problem?
Reply 1
Original post by Zadiewhiteteeth
Hello,

I've never had much of a problem making friends, school was fine, then I did a 1 year foundation degree and had a great time with the people there and made really good friends. I went travelling with complete strangers and got on great with them.
I thought uni would be the same, turns out students aren't as friendly as I suspected... making friends on my course has been a nightmare and because of it I dread going to seminars and lectures. To be honest I'm not the most extrovert socialable person going but I can have a laugh and can hold a conversation haha.

I have a few friends outside of uni but the fact that's I've failed to make good relations on my course gets me down. Anyone else have this problem?

How long have you been there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is what I dread about uni, I'm hoping to stay in halls (even although I stay 20 minutes away) just to ease me into it!
Reply 3
My son is in halls at Bristol and has nothing in common with his floor mates as they are all into clubs/drugs. He is down but persisting with joining clubs/societies and in time I'm sure he will meet people like him. The problem is that the loud ones make so much noise the others just hide away in their rooms. Just keep positive and get out there and talk to people. You guys are constantly told by people of my generation how great uni is - but they often forget how miserable the first few weeks are....
Original post by Zadiewhiteteeth
Hello,

Hello :smile:,

How long has this been going on? Has it been a couple of days/weeks? Because if so, give it more time and wait to see where things go - sometimes it's just the settling process and after people are more settled, they are more sociable!

If not, try joining societies and what not - these people will also share interests and give you a wider group of people to talk too!

Good luck:smile:
Original post by Old Mum
My son is in halls at Bristol and has nothing in common with his floor mates as they are all into clubs/drugs. He is down but persisting with joining clubs/societies and in time I'm sure he will meet people like him. The problem is that the loud ones make so much noise the others just hide away in their rooms. Just keep positive and get out there and talk to people. You guys are constantly told by people of my generation how great uni is - but they often forget how miserable the first few weeks are....

I was in the exact same position as your son but I was in private halls and it is so true the loud outgoing characters make it difficult for the quieter souls. When he gets to second year or even earlier,he will have a clearer Idea of what his friendships will be!
Thank you for your response. this will be my second year, so I don't think I'll be making friends on my course anytime soon. If we were going to be friends it would of happened by now I guess?

That's annoying with the situation with your son, i hope everything gets better for him - halls can be a nightmare for lots of people

Quick Reply

Latest