The Student Room Group

Computer Science Course Help

So today was the first day I got told what modules I will be learning in my first semester, of my first year at university. Quantitative methods for computing, and Computer Systems. I am in the University of Hull

I was completely overwhelmed to see the amount of maths work you need to complete within the Quantitative methods for computing module. Now I have quite a few questions Im not very sure of.

1) I am doing 6 Modules in my first year each are 20 credits each, for example I know its not an option but if I was to fail 1 module, would that mean that my overall degree grade will be effected?

2) Do I need to really buy all of the books in my reading list? There are about 19 books in total just for the 2 modules I will be doing in Semester 1!!! Do you guys buy all the books or just the essential ones listed?

3) Has anyone ever done the module Quantitative methods for computing? If so how were you assessed and how did you find it?

4) Do the books the university state in the reading lists the books that will cover exam content? If so I have alot of books to buy Lol

5) Been trying not to panic and stress out all day. :biggrin:

FYI: I am not like the type of guy to go out with friends that often. I am extremely focused on my work. Like when I was doing my BTEC I achieved D* D* D* D* over my 2 year course, so if I was to carry on my same work ethic, I still feel I will not be performing my very best after seeing today modules and content. I would like to graduate with a first class, worst case 2:1.

All replies are much appreciated!
Reply 1
I'm in the first year at another uni and this is my understanding.

1. Normally the first year marks don't count towards you degree, you just have to pass each subject,
The pass mark is probably less than 50%.
You maybe able to fail one and still pass the year.

2. You probably only need to buy the essential books, the rest are recommendations which you should be able to find in the library.

3. The lecturer should tell you, but it can be a mix of test and coursework.
I know it looks scary, but I think they will teach it without assuming any prior knowledge of the subject.
Most university maths departments have a support team who will help anyone from any course with maths.

4. Use the library. Look for second hand books from last years students.

5. If you're not happy, please go and see your personal tutor or course leader.
The university wants you to pass the course, they will help you all they can.
Reply 2
Original post by st*r
I'm in the first year at another uni and this is my understanding.

1. Normally the first year marks don't count towards you degree, you just have to pass each subject,
The pass mark is probably less than 50%.
You maybe able to fail one and still pass the year.

2. You probably only need to buy the essential books, the rest are recommendations which you should be able to find in the library.

3. The lecturer should tell you, but it can be a mix of test and coursework.
I know it looks scary, but I think they will teach it without assuming any prior knowledge of the subject.
Most university maths departments have a support team who will help anyone from any course with maths.

4. Use the library. Look for second hand books from last years students.

5. If you're not happy, please go and see your personal tutor or course leader.
The university wants you to pass the course, they will help you all they can.

Thanks alot for the response man. Made me feel a little bit better. I am new to all this Uni life. By the way if you dont mind me asking what are you studying and what university? Pm me if you want. Oh and how did you find out that the first year of the degree dosent really count? Do they tell you this in your first set of lectures? Like do they explain grading systems, how you are assessed, and whether your first year counts or not?
Reply 3
I'm doing comp science at DMU.
We were told about the marking scheme this week.

I did a quick search online and found this for you

http://hullstudent.com/news/article/wf-uni

If you are at all worried, go and find someone (anyone) tomorrow and have a chat with them,
otherwise you might spend the whole weekend worrying about it.
Reply 4
Original post by st*r
I'm doing comp science at DMU.
We were told about the marking scheme this week.

I did a quick search online and found this for you

http://hullstudent.com/news/article/wf-uni

If you are at all worried, go and find someone (anyone) tomorrow and have a chat with them,
otherwise you might spend the whole weekend worrying about it.

Thanks alot bro! Thats nice we are doing the same course :smile: I kind of feel alot better, I have been speaking to family and friends as well as you about this, and alot of my friends that have been through Uni made me feel alot better with helpful adivice, just like you.

Im just going to chill this weekend, and just wait until my lectures start next week and see how it all unfolds, will definelty buy the essential books for my modules over the weekend.
Reply 5
Original post by Deeboss
Thanks alot bro! Thats nice we are doing the same course :smile: I kind of feel alot better, I have been speaking to family and friends as well as you about this, and alot of my friends that have been through Uni made me feel alot better with helpful adivice, just like you.

Im just going to chill this weekend, and just wait until my lectures start next week and see how it all unfolds, will definelty buy the essential books for my modules over the weekend.

I don't know about hull specifically, but I'm a 2nd year CS at UCL and I didn't buy a single book for last year. Online resources are really easy to find for pretty much everything, and I did pretty well without textbooks (81%). Don't rush into book buying
Reply 6
Original post by TVIO
I don't know about hull specifically, but I'm a 2nd year CS at UCL and I didn't buy a single book for last year. Online resources are really easy to find for pretty much everything, and I did pretty well without textbooks (81%). Don't rush into book buying

Thanks for that. I wanted to ask how did you find 1st year? And do you remember the modules you did? Like did you have a lot of knowledge about computer science prior to commencing you're course?
Reply 7
Original post by Deeboss
Thanks for that. I wanted to ask how did you find 1st year? And do you remember the modules you did? Like did you have a lot of knowledge about computer science prior to commencing you're course?

I did the computing A level but that only really helped with one module (of 8), the first CS theory module. Had maths, robotics, CS theory 1 + 2, integrated engineering (like group challenges), design and professional skills, intro to programming, and the apps project. Was mostly all right, fairly easy. Wish I'd worked a bit harder but it still went fairly well.

Quick Reply

Latest