The Student Room Group

A Level Maths - Basic Algebra Question

When a train accelerates from rest to 30 ms-1, the formula v = (0.3)t1 gives the speed v ms-1 after t1 seconds.

The train then travels 9 km at constant speed,where the distance travelled d metres, the speed v ms-1,and the time taken t2 seconds are related by d = vt.2.

Finally,the train slows to a stop, during which the formula V= 30 - (0.1)t3 applies.

The train departs on time, and is timetabled for 14 minutes for the journey between start and stop. Does the train arrive early or late, and by how much?

For t1 I managed to get that the train had been travelling for 100 seconds but I am not sure if this is correct nor do I get if t2 is 300 or if i am doing this completely wrong - someone help
Reply 1
"Basic" 😂😂

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by basketballgirl11
When a train accelerates from rest to 30 ms-1, the formula v = (0.3)t1 gives the speed v ms-1 after t1 seconds.

The train then travels 9 km at constant speed,where the distance travelled d metres, the speed v ms-1,and the time taken t2 seconds are related by d = vt.2.

Finally,the train slows to a stop, during which the formula V= 30 - (0.1)t3 applies.

The train departs on time, and is timetabled for 14 minutes for the journey between start and stop. Does the train arrive early or late, and by how much?

For t1 I managed to get that the train had been travelling for 100 seconds but I am not sure if this is correct nor do I get if t2 is 300 or if i am doing this completely wrong - someone help

I think you need to draw a speed time graph

Quick Reply

Latest