The Student Room Group

HELP! I think I have tonsillitis and I have a date tomorrow!

Yeah, so basically my right tonsil is completely white. It is swollen, and it looks horrible! I also have a hard swollen lump on the right side of my neck, as well as spitting blood, like actual blood not just "pink" colour, it is blood red.

I have noticed with all this that there was a smell, I wasn't sure if I had maybe "followed through" at first, when I noticed it. It smells that bad. It was only when I smelt it on my toothbrush that I realized. I have had this since Sunday, and I had hoped it would have cleared up by now. Unfortunately it hasn't and I have a date with a girl I like tomorrow, but I can't go with this smelly breath that no amount of brushing or chewing gum seems to clear!

I know what the most common response may be, postpone the date until you are better, but I have already done this two weeks ago when something came up, if I do this again, at such late notice it might mess up my chances! I simply have to go on this one!

I was wondering if anyone has any advice, advice on how to get rid of the smell? If I scrape off this "white stuff" on my tonsil, will the smell go? I don't mind if it comes back in a day or two, as long as the smell goes. Is there something that could cover up the smell? Or even better is there something that could eradicate it in 24 hours?

Please, any help would be much appreciated, I don't want to cancel but I certainly don't want to kiss her for the first time with this stinking breath, that would as good as mess this up also. Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Slaw92
Yeah, so basically my right tonsil is completely white. It is swollen, and it looks horrible! I also have a hard swollen lump on the right side of my neck, as well as spitting blood, like actual blood not just "pink" colour, it is blood red. .

Forget the date. Go and see a doctor, that sounds serious.
Reply 2
There'll be no playing Tonsil Tennis for you two tomorrow.
Reply 3
Original post by Slaw92
Yeah, so basically my right tonsil is completely white. It is swollen, and it looks horrible! I also have a hard swollen lump on the right side of my neck, as well as spitting blood, like actual blood not just "pink" colour, it is blood red.

I have noticed with all this that there was a smell, I wasn't sure if I had maybe "followed through" at first, when I noticed it. It smells that bad. It was only when I smelt it on my toothbrush that I realized. I have had this since Sunday, and I had hoped it would have cleared up by now. Unfortunately it hasn't and I have a date with a girl I like tomorrow, but I can't go with this smelly breath that no amount of brushing or chewing gum seems to clear!

I know what the most common response may be, postpone the date until you are better, but I have already done this two weeks ago when something came up, if I do this again, at such late notice it might mess up my chances! I simply have to go on this one!

I was wondering if anyone has any advice, advice on how to get rid of the smell? If I scrape off this "white stuff" on my tonsil, will the smell go? I don't mind if it comes back in a day or two, as long as the smell goes. Is there something that could cover up the smell? Or even better is there something that could eradicate it in 24 hours?

Please, any help would be much appreciated, I don't want to cancel but I certainly don't want to kiss her for the first time with this stinking breath, that would as good as mess this up also. Thank you.

You idiot, tonsillitis is usually contagious, you shouldn't go at all!
Original post by Slaw92

Please quarantine yourself and spare this poor girl.

P.S. TSR is not a GP surgery, go to yours.
Reply 5
Original post by UWS
Forget the date. Go and see a doctor, that sounds serious.

Doctor appointments for my surgery are almost impossible to get within two weeks. Do you think it would be serious enough for an emergency appointment? They can give you them the same day if it is serious enough but I don't wish to take one if it isn't anything that bad.
Reply 6
Original post by Ciel.
You idiot, tonsillitis is usually contagious, you shouldn't go at all!

I'm ignorant when it comes to tonsillitis but please don't call me an idiot. What do you mean "usually" contagious, is this mostly the case?
Reply 7
Original post by jenigma
Please quarantine yourself and spare this poor girl.

P.S. TSR is not a GP surgery, go to yours.

This is a health forum I was under the impression that you discuss health issues here? If it was as simple as phoning a doctor and getting an appointment, I would, but there are no appointments available for the next two weeks.
Reply 8
Original post by Slaw92
I'm ignorant when it comes to tonsillitis but please don't call me an idiot. What do you mean "usually" contagious, is this mostly the case?

I meant it in a 'silly' way, not 'you dumb ***** way'.
Baby *whispers* please, don't go. *hugs you* It's usually contagious, she'll catch it from you. And she will......hate you.
Better? :laugh:

But yeah seriously it is contagious most of the time. Here, look what uncle google says about it:
"Most acute infections of the tonsils are due to viruses or bacteria and usually is contagious by direct person-to-person contact. Tonsillitis caused by a virus infection usually is contagious for about 7-10 days. Bacterial tonsillitis can remain contagious for about two weeks."
Reply 9
Original post by Davalla
There'll be no playing Tonsil Tennis for you two tomorrow.

Unfortunately I think you may be correct!
Original post by Slaw92
This is a health forum I was under the impression that you discuss health issues here? If it was as simple as phoning a doctor and getting an appointment, I would, but there are no appointments available for the next two weeks.

Yeah because they only created 111 for the jokes and GP practices would ignore such a serious, contagious health issue.
Reply 11
Phone up your GP, tell them exactly what you have said here, and you will get an appointment. You need antibiotics. Then explain nicely to the girl and rearrange. :yep:
Reply 12
Original post by Ciel.
I meant it in a 'silly' way, not 'you dumb ***** way'.
Baby *whispers* please, don't go. *hugs you* It's usually contagious, she'll catch it from you. And she will......hate you.
Better? :laugh:

But yeah seriously it is contagious most of the time. Here, look what uncle google says about it:
"Most acute infections of the tonsils are due to viruses or bacteria and usually is contagious by direct person-to-person contact. Tonsillitis caused by a virus infection usually is contagious for about 7-10 days. Bacterial tonsillitis can remain contagious for about two weeks."

Oh ok, my bad 🙂.. Yeah you make a convincing point, perhaps taking the risk of p****** her off by cancelling again would be much better than risking her with tonsillitis, I just hope she believes I have it, I mean I could prove it but I think showing her what it looks like would be a slight deal breaker also 😂.
Reply 13
Original post by Slaw92
Oh ok, my bad 🙂.. Yeah you make a convincing point, perhaps taking the risk of p****** her off by cancelling again would be much better than risking her with tonsillitis, I just hope she believes I have it, I mean I could prove it but I think showing her what it looks like would be a slight deal breaker also 😂.

Yeah just apologise and take her somewhere nice when you're all better.
Reply 14
Original post by Ciel.
Yeah just apologise and take her somewhere nice when you're all better.

Yeah that seems like the best course of action. Thanks for your advice!
Reply 15
Original post by Airmed
Phone up your GP, tell them exactly what you have said here, and you will get an appointment. You need antibiotics. Then explain nicely to the girl and rearrange. :yep:

Thanks for your reply! I have phoned up and managed to arrange an appointment for tomorrow morning after explaining! When explaining should I just tell her the truth or come up with something less disgusting?
Reply 16
Original post by Slaw92
Thanks for your reply! I have phoned up and managed to arrange an appointment for tomorrow morning after explaining! When explaining should I just tell her the truth or come up with something less disgusting?

Perhaps just say you have the flu and you don't want her to get sick?
I'd rearrange. It'd be a shame for you both to be ill! I'm not sure that'd help you out either if you got her sick :tongue: Let her know you have tonsillitis, she won't want to catch it, and that you'd really love to reschedule something for when you're better
Reply 19
Original post by Airmed
Perhaps just say you have the flu and you don't want her to get sick?

If you were set to go on a date with a guy and he cancelled due to tonsillitis would it put you off? I'm not sure if flu is serious enough to cancel but I will try that if tonsillitis would be too honest.

Quick Reply

Latest