The Student Room Group

Predicted grades: 2 A*s and 2 As or 4 A*s?

idk but hopefully this will be quick:
- teachers think i'm capable of 4 a stars at alevel (history, maths, latin, eng). I think im capable unless something seriously throws me off
- im applying to cambridge for english (+ ucl, kcl, durham, birmingham) and they're notorious for their offer inflations
should i be safe and lower or have 'better' grades to look more impressive
Original post by unknowntsr
- teachers think i'm capable of 4 a stars at alevel (history, maths, latin, eng). I think im capable unless something seriously throws me off
- im applying to cambridge for english (+ ucl, kcl, durham, birmingham) and they're notorious for their offer inflations

There's literally no downsides to having higher predictions. Just go for the 4 A* prediction. I honestly don't understand why you're even asking this question - you even said yourself you're capable. Just another humblebrag thread I guess.
Reply 2
Original post by DarkEnergy
There's literally no downsides to having higher predictions. Just go for the 4 A* prediction. I honestly don't understand why you're even asking this question - you even said yourself you're capable. Just another humblebrag thread I guess.

it really wasn't a humblebrag and i apologise if it comes across that way but i just am a really indecisive person who overthinks everything :frown:
it really wasn't a humblebrag and i apologise if it comes across that way but i just am a really indecisive person who overthinks everything :frown:

Ah ok, sorry then. Well yeah 4 A*s may help you secure offers, but at the same time you're not going to have a massive advantage over people with 2 A* predictions. Just go for it if you believe you are capable. Good luck!

If you're capable of 4 A*s then I can't see why you wouldn't put that down next to your name. They might even decline you if you lower your predictions, as there could be people better than you applying, with higher predicted grades. Choose A*A*A*A* :smile:
Reply 5
Yup, i understand completely. My friend's teacher said we can give you an A* prediction in further maths if you want, but uni offers may be higher due to that, so he stuck with A. I, personally, feel getting an offer is more important so go with 4 A*s! Depending on how you did in subjects in year 1.
I'm in the same boat here. Applying to Oxford Biochem and I can get predicted 3 A* (Bio, Chem, Maths). However, I doubt that I can get an A* in Chem, since only one person from my school got it last year. Should I risk it or keep 2 A* (Bio, Maths) and A (Chem)?
Thanks.
Original post by JellyfishThunder
I'm in the same boat here. Applying to Oxford Biochem and I can get predicted 3 A* (Bio, Chem, Maths). However, I doubt that I can get an A* in Chem, since only one person from my school got it last year. Should I risk it or keep 2 A* (Bio, Maths) and A (Chem)?
Thanks.

No go with A*A*A* - you want to maximise your chances of getting an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not ask a Cambridge admissions tutor about this... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4327946. The good Dr Spencer has answered similar questions before, I believe.
Reply 9
Original post by ageshallnot
Why not ask a Cambridge admissions tutor about this... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4327946. The good Dr Spencer has answered similar questions before, I believe.

thank you for the link!
I hope everything is going well for you. I got one little question. For my ASs I was doing Maths, Chem, Bio and Economics, however I dropped economics a couple of months before the exam and they still forced me to sit an exam. I got AAA and D in economics, will this D have a significant effect on my application, considering that I picked up Eng Lit and now doing two years in one? Predicted: A*A*AA. Thanks!
Reply 11
Original post by JellyfishThunder
I hope everything is going well for you. I got one little question. For my ASs I was doing Maths, Chem, Bio and Economics, however I dropped economics a couple of months before the exam and they still forced me to sit an exam. I got AAA and D in economics, will this D have a significant effect on my application, considering that I picked up Eng Lit and now doing two years in one? Predicted: A*A*AA. Thanks!

It shouldn't matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
With a University like Cambridge you would have a better chance if you applied with higher predicted grades. I'm not an expert on this, but from what i have heard Cambridge also requests for your raw marks.
Reply 13
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
With a University like Cambridge you would have a better chance if you applied with higher predicted grades. I'm not an expert on this, but from what i have heard Cambridge also requests for your raw marks.

No they don't request raw marks. Althought they do ask for UMS in subjects that still have it.

And a prediction in line with their typical requirements is absolutely fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
No they don't request raw marks. Althought they do ask for UMS in subjects that still have it.

And a prediction in line with their typical requirements is absolutely fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am just using the information i found from this video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieV3qKi_2bE, and they said that alongside grades, the PS they also look at module marks.
Reply 15
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
I am just using the information i found from this video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieV3qKi_2bE, and they said that alongside grades, the PS they also look at module marks.

Indeed, except that video is from 2011 when all AS-levels had UMS.

Linear AS/A-levels don't - they do have raw marks but they aren't the same as UMS (for one thing they aren't comparable across exam boards, unlike UMS). And for that reason Cambridge doesn't systematically collect raw marks in the SAQ, only UMS - if available.
(edited 7 years ago)
No-one needs four A*s or would receive such an offer, unless they invited it. If you meet the standard offer, particularly for Cambridge, then it really comes down to your interview, assessment of any written work you've been asked to send it and any tests you're given on the day of the interview.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending