The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year but I'm a bit worried. Help?

Im going to university next year, I've decided to take a gap year this year. As im 18 now when i go to university next year i'll be 19. However, I'm a bit worried that with me being 19 next year i'll be one of the oldest in my lectures? Out of the friends i make i feel that i'll be one of the oldest, i know that people of all ages go to uni but i kinda feel that everyones gonna be younger than me. Any help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
it's just a year difference

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 2
No one is going to ostracise you for being a year too old. Frankly if you're too young you are more likely to be excluded as you can't go out drinking.
Original post by Pn2020
Im going to university next year, I've decided to take a gap year this year. As im 18 now when i go to university next year i'll be 19. However, I'm a bit worried that with me being 19 next year i'll be one of the oldest in my lectures? Out of the friends i make i feel that i'll be one of the oldest, i know that people of all ages go to uni but i kinda feel that everyones gonna be younger than me. Any help?

One year doesn't make a difference, you're not 42 sitting in a lecture with 18 year olds. You'll be an 19 year old sitting in a lecture with 18 year olds. Also I doubt you'll even look older than them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by PotAuFeu
No one is going to ostracise you for being a year too old. Frankly if you're too young you are more likely to be excluded as you can't go out drinking.

but how much more people who are older than me are their likely to be?
Reply 5
Original post by Pn2020
but how much more people who are older than me are their likely to be?

I hate to break it to you, but 19 year olds are completely indistinguishable from 18 year olds. Nobody will know you're a year older than some other people unless you make a big deal of it, so just don't. You're nothing special or weird. Plenty of people take a gap year and there are bound to be other gap yearers who start with you. You're not the first person to think of it.
Reply 6
Original post by Pn2020

Speaking as an 18 year old who just finished freshers week, half of my friends are 19, and there is no difference.
Reply 7
Original post by JACCKYD
Speaking as an 18 year old who just finished freshers week, half of my friends are 19, and there is no difference.

Are there many 19+'s at your uni then?
Reply 8
Original post by Pn2020
Are there many 19+'s at your uni then?

I am at Cardiff Uni, and about 5 of my friends out of about 20 took a gap year, and to be honest, no one cares. Don't worry about it,

But one thing that they find harder are the exams, because they have taken a ga year they are in a more "relaxed" mood compared to 18 year olds who just did our A Levels about 3 months ago, so bear that in mind. :smile:
Reply 9
Nobody gives a **** lol
I know someone who's 24 at Uni
Reply 10
Original post by JACCKYD
I am at Cardiff Uni, and about 5 of my friends out of about 20 took a gap year, and to be honest, no one cares. Don't worry about it,

But one thing that they find harder are the exams, because they have taken a ga year they are in a more "relaxed" mood compared to 18 year olds who just did our A Levels about 3 months ago, so bear that in mind. :smile:

The 'relaxed' mindset put me off from taking a gap year.
Reply 11
Thanks guys :smile:
Original post by Pn2020

Hello :smile:

Generally, I only hear these kind of questions from people who are going to university from the ages of between 24-30. Even then, age doesn't really matter when it comes to lectures. 19 is no difference at all, that's quite a general age in the grand scheme of things and you probably won't be the oldest in your lecture!

Don't panic yourself, you'll be fine.

Good luck :biggrin:
The whole age thing really doesn't matter. I'm 19 and in my class, I hang with a group with four other people who are aged 18, 19, 21, 25. There's also a lady who is in her mid fifties but we all get along with her just fine.

Uni and college aren't like high school, there's none of this immature nonsense where people assess you based on your age/looks.

Also, the age range will vary from course to course. My partner is doing a construction course at college and everyone is under 21 but I'm doing marketing and as you can tell from what I've said, the age range is massive (17 - 55)

Don't worry about it!
A lot of people take gap years (I for one did!) A year is nothing and the age difference is negligible. And unless your birthday is right at the start of September, a lot of your friends will be 19 at the same time as you lol
Reply 15
Original post by TheTechN1304
A lot of people take gap years (I for one did!) A year is nothing and the age difference is negligible. And unless your birthday is right at the start of September, a lot of your friends will be 19 at the same time as you lol

Were there a few people who weren't 18 there?
Original post by Pn2020

Taking gap years is common. Earn some money. Nobody will know or care whether you take a gap year or not. Uni has peple of all ages.

No need to waste time worrying about soemthing that isnt an issue.
Reply 17
Original post by 999tigger
Taking gap years is common. Earn some money. Nobody will know or care whether you take a gap year or not. Uni has peple of all ages.

No need to waste time worrying about soemthing that isnt an issue.

True but I'm worried incase I'm one of the oldest out of my roommates even though I'd only be 19 by the time I start uni. Do you think I'm over exaggerating?
Original post by Pn2020
True but I'm worried incase I'm one of the oldest out of my roommates even though I'd only be 19 by the time I start uni. Do you think I'm over exaggerating?

By a factor of 100. Listen to people who have been or are there.
Find something better to worry about or even better just chill and enjoy your gap year.
Original post by Pn2020

At 19 (after taking a gap year), I'm the youngest in my flat. The rest are 20-22.

Quick Reply