The Student Room Group

What else should I add to my Personal Statement?

I'm currently on a gap year, looking to re-apply for Medicine. Last year I applied but got no interviews, but that was down to my AS grades. I spent a lot of time on my PS and reviewed it with loads of other Medical students, so it's written to a high standard. I was wondering though - now that I'm on a gap year, do they expect me to change it up a lot? I'm going to add in the stuff I plan on doing in my GY; get my drivers license, learn a new language (Turkish), get a part-time job etc, but do they expect anything else? I'm pretty much going to use last year's PS as the base of the one I'm going to use this year, I won't change much from it.
Original post by ASTK98
I'm currently on a gap year, looking to re-apply for Medicine. Last year I applied but got no interviews, but that was down to my AS grades. I spent a lot of time on my PS and reviewed it with loads of other Medical students, so it's written to a high standard. I was wondering though - now that I'm on a gap year, do they expect me to change it up a lot? I'm going to add in the stuff I plan on doing in my GY; get my drivers license, learn a new language (Turkish), get a part-time job etc, but do they expect anything else? I'm pretty much going to use last year's PS as the base of the one I'm going to use this year, I won't change much from it.

As long as your PS was fine last year, I wouldn't say you need to change it too much for this time around. I think it's a good idea to include plans for your gap year.*
Original post by usycool1
As long as your PS was fine last year, I wouldn't say you need to change it too much for this time around. I think it's a good idea to include plans for your gap year.*

You think they wouldn't mind if the PS I send off this year is almost identical to the one I used last year? (Ofc barring the few things I'll add in regarding my gap year). I heard that some Unis might see it as "lazy", just want to make sure though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you actually started to do any of those things thought?Only new things i would add would be more work experience.
Original post by redhelen
Have you actually started to do any of those things thought?Only new things i would add would be more work experience.

You reckon? I haven't started yet, but that shouldn't stop me from including it, no?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I think you should put what you're doing in your gap year as they want to know you're not just sitting at home for the year doing nothing
Just think it may use up words that dont need to be written but if you have enough room include it, I just cant see that it would gain any more brownie points that's all.
Original post by redhelen
Just think it may use up words that dont need to be written but if you have enough room include it, I just cant see that it would gain any more brownie points that's all.

I've heard that Unis don't like gap year applicants that just sit at home and mess around for a year, they want to see that you're using the time wisely. Just thought they'd assume that's what I'm doing if I don't mention anything in my PS about my gap year. I'm sure there will be things that aren't as necessary to talk about that I'll be able to remove to create space for what I want to write.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jehaan
I think you should put what you're doing in your gap year as they want to know you're not just sitting at home for the year doing nothing

Good point

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending