The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by michaela__
😂 omg, I'm actually so shocked at how that's even possible as a human😂 I wonder if there's people out there that get 900 in every section?

Posted from TSR Mobile

She must have done tbh. Like an AVERAGE of 827 is MAD!
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Does she have good interpersonal skills?

Who knows, she could flop the interview :laugh::laugh::laugh: jk

I was praying this until I realise she is applying to Edinburgh as an option so there goes my application to Edinburgh reconsidered!!!!
Could someone explain the Scottish system to me? So if Highers are like AS then why do you sit 5 Highers I don't understand 😂 isn't that too much work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6242
Original post by .......Jeff458
Balls. St andrews was an option :frown:

Why not Dundee? My friend got 4A 1B last year and only got one interview, it was from Dundee?

yeah i would go for dundee but it is a risk, since they seem to give less interviews than for Aberdeen. However since you've got 5As i would give it a shot. My friend last year got 5As and ukcat score of 630 and he got rejected but you never know unless you dont try.
Exeter told me they apply the UKCAT in the tier where they are running out of interview slots. It's not as a compensation, it's so they can get the right amount to interview is the way it was briefly described to me anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's literally the same thing. They use up all their higher tiers. Then if they have enough spaces for lower tier they apply a ukcat cut off score. So in order to justify a person with low predictions applying, they'll have to have a high ukcat score to compensate for their lowers predictions.
She must have done tbh. Like an AVERAGE of 827 is MAD!

I was praying this until I realise she is applying to Edinburgh as an option so there goes my application to Edinburgh reconsidered!!!!

Well, I hope your PS is better than hers.

She sounds like a robot to me!
Original post by HT98
yeah i would go for dundee but it is a risk, since they seem to give less interviews than for Aberdeen. However since you've got 5As i would give it a shot. My friend last year got 5As and ukcat score of 630 and he got rejected but you never know unless you dont try.

Oh wow!!!

Thanks for the heads up my man!

If you take a gap year, what offer would you get? Like rn we would get a conditional if we did get one but in a gap year would it just be offer/rejection?
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Well, I hope your PS is better than hers.

She sounds like a robot to me!

Ahahahaha good one man!

She is one of those people who proves the teacher wrong in class, and without being cocky but I go to a private school so teachers are decent!
Reply 6247
Oh wow!!!

Thanks for the heads up my man!

If you take a gap year, what offer would you get? Like rn we would get a conditional if we did get one but in a gap year would it just be offer/rejection?

it would be unconditional
Finally sat the dreaded thing today. Really pissed off if I have to be honest:

VR: 560
QR: 690
AR: 600
SJT: Band 2

Average = 627

Really pissed off. It's not a bad score and I am grateful that it's better than my mocks, but I am really upset that I missed my target score of 700 avergae by MILES. I practiced sooo much. The resources for those interested that I used were:
- Kaplan 'score higher on UKCAT' book
- Official Mocks A,B,C
- Medify (ALL practice questions and ALL ocks etc)
- ISC 1000Q book including the mock
- Kaplan online practice test bundle, mocks A,B,C
- UKCAT Ninja
- Blackstone Tutors workbook from course
- UKCAT for Dummies (briefly)
- How to Master UKCAT (briefly)
Would like to say these resources helped but clearly didn't get me what I wanted. The real thing was probably most similar to the Kaplan Book for the QR, Official Mocks for AR, VR Medify.

VR: The passages were nowehre near as long as everybody had been stating. Maybe 4/5 paragraphs on average. But the paragraphs were quite detailed. My main problem here was that alot of the texts were quite complex including the questions. I would have been happier with 600 in this section but 560 isn't far off so can't overly complain.

QR: This screwed me over. After skipping the first 10 questions I was panicking and thinking if they were all that difficult. So I slowed down to answer some. BIG MISTAKE. ALL THE EASY ONES WERE AT THE END. I had two sets on pie charts (near end). Really got pissed off because when i began to guess as time was finishing I saw all the easy ones at the end. I really do mean ALL THE EASY ONES. Was hoping for 750+ in this section so really annoyed but when I came out, considering I skipped so many I wasn't too upset with 690.

AR: WTF. The patterns were so easy I was like YAAAAAS. I come and see I got 600... f**k. Like, I am still confused? The patterns I got all fitted and I genuinely was expecting a minimum of 700 once I finished so 600 was like a dagger in my chest.

SJT: Lots of LONG passages with like 2 questions on it only.

Good luck to everyone still to take it. I am really pissed off and don't actually know what to do. I was hoping to apply to Edinburgh but that's out the window now. I would prefer me to stay in Scotland unless it's like oxbridge etc as I have to pay for my own Uni fees. Would appreciate any help now.

Any questions pls feel free to ask although you probably won't want to considering how much i messed that up :smile:

Just realised we've got the same total...but well done - it could've been worse. I get your disappointment though. :frown: Edinburgh would've been great, ngl.

Atleast you can focus on school now and get that AAA. :smile:
Reply 6249
Could someone explain the Scottish system to me? So if Highers are like AS then why do you sit 5 Highers I don't understand 😂 isn't that too much work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Highers are above AS but just below A-levels. Advanced Highers are above A-levels, thats why people only take 2.
Original post by Squishy•
That's literally the same thing. They use up all their higher tiers. Then if they have enough spaces for lower tier they apply a ukcat cut off score. So in order to justify a person with low predictions applying, they'll have to have a high ukcat score to compensate for their lowers predictions.

Low predictions being A*A*A or A*AA probably though which isn't low at all, so silly tbh lol. You sounded like you were talking about multiple lower tiers which isn't the case as the UKCAT is applied to only one tier is what I was confirming that was all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would love to mention all patterns but I don't know which ones were right and judging by my score, it cannot have been many at all!!!!

But there was one set where there were triangles intersecting each other. Couldn't get that one - tried counting no. of shapes, overlaps, enclosed regions etc etc but couldn't. I remember one set being white shapes at the top and black at the top in set B. It would have been more complex but for that one that's all I realised. The completing series were really staright forward, saw one before where a circle has lines added on and no. increases each box. Other than that I can't remember many as I have been so pissed off. Haha sorry. If I do then I'll let you know!

For the intersecting triangles one I noticed that in one set the triangles intersected and vertices and other intersected at the sides. Tbh, that's probably the only one I got right. lmao :biggrin:
Original post by Squishy•
Defo exeter, you will be in the top tier and ukcat won't be applied to you.

Do you think Liverpool will be a Gd idea?
Original post by HT98
Highers are above AS but just below A-levels. Advanced Highers are above A-levels, thats why people only take 2.

I can just about cope with A-Levels. No idea how advanced Highers are even possible for our age lmao 😂 thanks for telling me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nuba123
Just realised we've got the same total...but well done - it could've been worse. I get your disappointment though. :frown: Edinburgh would've been great, ngl.

Atleast you can focus on school now and get that AAA. :smile:

Oh ma gad!

I just realised, I calculated my score wrong -_-. I actually got 617 average.

Arrrrrrghhhh damn. Maybe I deserved only 690 in QR then!
Original post by Can't think name
Do you think Liverpool will be a Gd idea?

Last year they wanted 625 average, after that they look at PS so if that's amazing then yeah I would go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by whodareswins
827?!?!?
Wtf man did she sacrifice her soul for that score?!

omg lmao :d
Low predictions being A*A*A or A*AA probably though which isn't low at all, so silly tbh lol. You sounded like you were talking about multiple lower tiers which isn't the case as the UKCAT is applied to only one tier is what I was confirming that was all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait does that mean I should or shouldn't try with my A*A*A or will the very top tier use ukcat as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think highers are a little harder than AS and highers are less difficult than A-levels.

I think it goes like this from least difficult to most difficult. GCSE's, Scottish National 5's, AS levels, Scottish Highers, A-levels, Scottish Advanced Highers.
(Also I don't know which one is harder out of GCSE's and Nat 5's but people sit like 14 of them while we only sit 7/8 so I imagine GCSE's must be easier). Anyone else agree with this or can tell me if I'm wrong ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Can't think name
Wait does that mean I should or shouldn't try with my A*A*A or will the very top tier use ukcat as well?

I'm gonna ring up and try and find out stats from last year but from stalking last years thread I don't think anyone with AAA was invited for interview! You'll be fine as you'll be in top tier so I wouldn't worry as they only use cut off if they are running out of interviews!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending