The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

See if you apply for both Medicine and Dentistry, can you ask to write a second statement for one of them.
Just out of curiousity?
Original post by RossB1702
I think highers are a little harder than AS and highers are less difficult than A-levels.

I think it goes like this from least difficult to most difficult. GCSE's, Scottish National 5's, AS levels, Scottish Highers, A-levels, Scottish Advanced Highers.
(Also I don't know which one is harder out of GCSE's and Nat 5's but people sit like 14 of them while we only sit 7/8 so I imagine GCSE's must be easier). Anyone else agree with this or can tell me if I'm wrong ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only sat 9 GCSE's I want to a state school so that's probably a reason so I have no idea which is easier/harder, must be similar I'd imagine! Thank you for clarifying though I appreciate it 😋 no idea how people do well in their Highers/advanced Highers it seems so difficult but that's just me looking in I guess so I don't have enough info!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by .......Jeff458
See if you apply for both Medicine and Dentistry, can you ask to write a second statement for one of them.
Just out of curiousity?

I'm sure you can accommodate the two of them into the one PS. I actually had an issue with this; I am applying for Marine Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Physics courses and I contacted UCAS if I could write an alternative PS for just physics and they said I would either need to try and accommodate all the courses into the one PS or email Strathclyde and ask them if I could write one just for physics and they said that its fine to write about physics and engineering in the one PS. So just try emailing the uni and asking if you could send an alternative PS not related to the one on your UCAS but if they say no it should be fine to put both courses into your PS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by michaela__
Low predictions being A*A*A or A*AA probably though which isn't low at all, so silly tbh lol. You sounded like you were talking about multiple lower tiers which isn't the case as the UKCAT is applied to only one tier is what I was confirming that was all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When i said lower tiers, it was referring to tiers lower than theirs and so they don't have to worry. And 'lower' is relative anyway. Ukcat is still used as compensation and the fact that they use it on only the last tier doesn't make a difference anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
just did two of the medify mocks and got really low QR scores!! I'm really scared :frown:
Original post by Can't think name
Wait does that mean I should or shouldn't try with my A*A*A or will the very top tier use ukcat as well?

They were basically picking on the usage of language which they misunderstood in my previous comment. You will be in the highest tier so you have no worry what so ever.
I only sat 9 GCSE's I want to a state school so that's probably a reason so I have no idea which is easier/harder, must be similar I'd imagine! Thank you for clarifying though I appreciate it 😋 no idea how people do well in their Highers/advanced Highers it seems so difficult but that's just me looking in I guess so I don't have enough info!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The thing is does your exam system not completely differ from ours. Do you's not sit exams by units instead of one major exam at the end of the year ? Like isn't that an advantage cause you's know what's coming up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Squishy•
They were basically picking on the usage of language which they misunderstood in my previous comment. You will be in the highest tier so you have no worry what so ever.

No need to be passive aggressive, just wanted to make sure they knew ukcat was only applied to one tier and that tier being the lowest one which it's very unlikely they would be part of😂 I don't mind when people correct me/ask if I'm right, I just peacefully get on with as you do in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sure you can accommodate the two of them into the one PS. I actually had an issue with this; I am applying for Marine Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Physics courses and I contacted UCAS if I could write an alternative PS for just physics and they said I would either need to try and accommodate all the courses into the one PS or email Strathclyde and ask them if I could write one just for physics and they said that its fine to write about physics and engineering in the one PS. So just try emailing the uni and asking if you could send an alternative PS not related to the one on your UCAS but if they say no it should be fine to put both courses into your PS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't put two diff courses into ur PS especially if ur applying to medicine cuz it shows ur not committed/fully into it.
Reply 6269
I can just about cope with A-Levels. No idea how advanced Highers are even possible for our age lmao 😂 thanks for telling me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

they were really awful haha ,especially the investigations. No problem!
I was just wondering does the level of difficulty differ every year? Or would it be similar... I wonder if people had to sit the UKCAT with QR questions as difficult as online tests. :frown: Just wondering incase I take a gap year to re-apply.
The thing is does your exam system not completely differ from ours. Do you's not sit exams by units instead of one major exam at the end of the year ? Like isn't that an advantage cause you's know what's coming up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I did all linear so all my exams were may/June 2015. I had 3 science papers for each science so 9 in total! So there was 3 units in each science so you could target revision I guess but we still had to know all of it for a 3 week time period during exam time if you get me! I know my older sister etc could sit her GCSEs in year 10 etc and resit units in year 11 to boost her grade and take the stress out. But then Michael Gove happened lmao 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
No need to be passive aggressive, just wanted to make sure they knew ukcat was only applied to one tier and that tier being the lowest one which it's very unlikely they would be part of😂 I don't mind when people correct me/ask if I'm right, I just peacefully get on with as you do in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was an irrelevant point though. I told them it wouldn't apply to them and only tiers lower than theirs as a compensation and then you tried to correct me saying it's actually not a compensation because it's only applied to one tier to meet a limit.
Even if your interpretation was true it wouldn't make a difference to their situation; Whether the ukcat is applied to one lower tier it is irrelevant as they're still in the highest one.
You told me it wasn't right and then re-worded what i said. It's still used to compensate for their grades and it's applied in lower tiers than his because it's not going to be applied in the highest tier.
:smile:
No need to be passive aggressive, just wanted to make sure they knew ukcat was only applied to one tier and that tier being the lowest one which it's very unlikely they would be part of😂 I don't mind when people correct me/ask if I'm right, I just peacefully get on with as you do in life.Posted from TSR Mobile

It was an irrelevant point though. I told them it wouldn't apply to them and only tiers lower than theirs as a compensation and then you tried to correct me saying it's actually not a compensation because it's only applied to one tier to meet a limit.
Even if your interpretation was true it wouldn't make a difference to their situation; Whether the ukcat is applied to one lower tier it is irrelevant as they're still in the highest one.
You told me it wasn't right and then re-worded what i said. It's still used to compensate for their grades and it's applied in lower tiers than his because it's not going to be applied in the highest tier.

You two need to get a room.

Irrelevant? I was making sure they knew for a fact that ukcat isn't really used that much for Exeter, there is nothing wrong with me double checking that with you/them. I don't know why you get so cold over things sometimes, nothing ever means much but somehow it always amounts to something even when I am trying to help someone out too? Just need to move on with it all and stop these little disagreements, when there really isn't anything much going on? PM me if you want to talk and I'll be willing to, but I don't really have a big issue with you so I never quite understand. (Sorry for cluttering the thread everyone I'll stop now)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASupertramp

I'm attempting don't worry 😂 just cba with stuff as I have so much going on myself 😂 disagreeing is fine at times but after so many occasions I'm tired of it all so best to try and sort it👻

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh thanks. Ps are you following me around :/ jks?
Original post by ASupertramp

You beat me to it! hahahahahahhaha
Original post by .......Jeff458
You beat me to it! hahahahahahhaha

Stop 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Can't think name
Don't put two diff courses into ur PS especially if ur applying to medicine cuz it shows ur not committed/fully into it.

I'm not applying for medicine or dentistry. I'm applying for 2 engineering courses and physics, I think it's fine to apply for more than one course, a lot of people I know have done it and they all got offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending