The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zxrxh
Theres different topics that are more complicated

Ah well I'm sure you will still do really well!:smile: I got an A* in English lang and lit, and an A in maths. I know the spec has changed, however I am doing a level maths so I could give you some advice!:smile:
Reply 761
Original post by francesco_16
Hi, I'm Francesco.

By the end of year 11 I would have 11 GCSEs and 1 AS:
Maths (Edexcel)
English Language (AQA)
English Literature (AQA)
Biology (AQA)
Chemistry (AQA)
Physics (AQA)
German (Edexcel)
Italian (Edexcel)
History (OCR)
Computing (OCR)
RS - Philosophy and Ethics (OCR) - I have done this in year 10 and got an A*

I am also doing an AS in Critical Thinking (OCR)

Do you think you're ready for Year 11 and the new GCSEs?
I hope so!

What's your favourite subject(s)?
German and Physics because I find them really enjoyable and I like the teachers.

What's your dream career? (If you don't know that's completely fine, we're only in Year 11 so you still have time to think.)
I would like to be a Chemical Engineer or a Commercial Airline pilot.

:smile:

I'm doing as critical thinking too! have you done the unit 1 exam yet or do you do them both in May?
Reply 762
Original post by _gcx
Far too high, an A* on the current spec was 55/80 (50/80 for an A, 45 for a B, 40 for a C) this year and a few marks higher last year (57/80 for an A*, 51 for an A, 45 for a B etc.). I wouldn't think that Lang grade boundaries will take that much of a hit, it's mainly Lit that has got harder with the reforms.

I honestly have no idea what to aim for, although I intend to smash the creative writing sections, since they are easy marks.

For our year 10 English language mock we had to get 72/80 for a 9 and 62/80 for an 8 I think.. But that was just comparing our school's grades it could well be lower when considering the whole country though I guess
Original post by _gcx
A part of me wishes I was doing A-level.

Another part of me thinks the other is insane :P

I felt the same when I was in Y11! It seems so much more enjoyable to do few subjects of which you hope to enjoy!

The reality is far bleaker, although Y12 is good (but stressful) fun.

Original post by sunshine774
Yr12- I don't really like it...:frown:

I'm sorry to hear you're not enjoying Y12 :frown: if you want any help with work (I do maths, politics and history - used to do biology) or just general support just message/tag me!
Original post by jamestg
I felt the same when I was in Y11! It seems so much more enjoyable to do few subjects of which you hope to enjoy!

I'm sorry to hear you're not enjoying Y12 :frown: if you want any help with work (I do maths, politics and history - used to do biology) or just general support just message/tag me!

Thank so much- do you have any advice for a level maths?:biggrin:
Also, it's not like I hate yr 12, it's alright- it's just that I don't particularly like it...

Spoiler

Thank so much- do you have any advice for a level maths?:biggrin:
Also, it's not like I hate yr 12, it's alright- it's just that I don't particularly like it...

Spoiler

Do literally every different looking question in the textbook, every past paper and watch loads of exam solutions if you get stuck!

Also spending time with your teacher is a lot of help! Not only do you get more time with a teacher, but it's more personal and a good relationship with them is GREAT for your UCAS reference!

Which bits of maths are you not enjoying?
Original post by _gcx
A part of me wishes I was doing A-level.

Another part of me thinks the other is insane :P

LOL i thought exactly the same in yr 11! Although it is good to do few subjects which you enjoy, I sometimes miss doing more subjects as it gives more variety. I also miss doing subjects that I enjoyed, but I just didn't want to do them at a level!:smile:
Original post by jamestg
Do literally every different looking question in the textbook, every past paper and watch loads of exam solutions if you get stuck!

Also spending time with your teacher is a lot of help! Not only do you get more time with a teacher, but it's more personal and a good relationship with them is GREAT for your UCAS reference!

Which bits of maths are you not enjoying?

Well it just all seems boring...:frown: I know this is stupid, but I have heard about a level maths being REALLY hard, so I keep thinking I won't be able to get a good grade...:frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Well it just all seems boring...:frown:

Fair enough! Doing it with friends makes it more bearable if you dislike a subject! Or just listening to your favourite music while you work :smile:
Did you the pixl paper's for language?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well it just all seems boring...:frown: I know this is stupid, but I have heard about a level maths being REALLY hard, so I keep thinking I won't be able to get a good grade...:frown:

It is hard but if you keep on top of it, maths won't get on top of you! (that sounds wrong lmao but hey ho)

Treat every test like the real exam and you'll fly through! Particularly with maths, you need to understand it as you learn it. You can't afford to put it off until may.
Original post by jamestg
Fair enough! Doing it with friends makes it more bearable if you dislike a subject! Or just listening to your favourite music while you work :smile:

Yep good idea- I do love my music!:smile:
Reply 772
GCSEs I'm taking:
- Maths (aqa)
- English lit (aqa)
- English language (not sure if it's wjec or aqa, is it meant to be the same as lit?)
- Physics (aqa)
- RE (aqa)
- Sports science (it's the Cambridge thing, only controlled assessments and that left)
- History (aqa)
- ICT (edexcel)

GCSEs I've done:
- Chemistry (A*)
- Biology (A)
- Sports science (the exam paper (M2 = B))

My favourite subjects are chemistry, biology and maths.

I'm considering taking chemistry, biology, maths at A level. I'm not sure if I should take either psychology or further maths though, or if I should even do biology.

The subject I'm stuck on right now is ICT. is anyone doing the prom cab? it's so difficult for me especially since my teacher thinks I'm like the smartest in the class and quote "the thing is if you're struggling with the work then how can anyone else do it?" seriously. the deadlines the 20th October for activity 1 and 2 I hope I get it done right.

another subject I not like is history. at least we completed one controlled assessment, which are the worst btw, but there's part b left which we are doing soon.

I have a few weeks before I can worry about sports science controlled assessment though so lucky me. looks like I'm the worst at controlled assessments.
Is any good at physics and could please help me understand how a motor works? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone doing that ECDL course, because my teacher told me it was compulsory, but I want to know if it really is, or how important it is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamestg
It is hard but if you keep on top of it, maths won't get on top of you! (that sounds wrong lmao but hey ho)

Treat every test like the real exam and you'll fly through! Particularly with maths, you need to understand it as you learn it. You can't afford to put it off until may.

Yes that does sound wrong!:biggrin: But thank you for your advice- I will keep on top of it!:smile:
LOL i thought exactly the same in yr 11! Although it is good to do few subjects which you enjoy, I sometimes miss doing more subjects as it gives more variety. I also miss doing subjects that I enjoyed, but I just didn't want to do them at a level!:smile:

Original post by jamestg

Yes, although I'm looking forward to doing A-levels (due to the fact that the content is more interesting, in the case of Maths and CS), I am aware that there's quite a noticeable jump in the difficulty of content and the workload, and that the jump is too much for some. Thus, I'm going to *try* to work hard from the very beginning.
Original post by tasha_tah
Yepp I am..we all use the cgp book :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't like the CGP books. They teach you everything you need to know for the exam, but not why it's like it is, or actual insight into the subject. When learning from a CGP book, you just memorise everything it tells you and you'll get an A*, but imo, I find it easier to actually learn the stuff, understand the reasoning etc. so when it comes to the exam, I won't have to memorise anything, just apply what you know and logic and worst case scenario, derive the equations. I think especially with the new 9-1 GCSEs, memorising stuff is going to be less and less effective.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kat.e
For our year 10 English language mock we had to get 72/80 for a 9 and 62/80 for an 8 I think.. But that was just comparing our school's grades it could well be lower when considering the whole country though I guess

I think you teachers just did the old 90% for the highest grade (which is quite flawed). Teachers (in my school) would always have 90% being A* in all subjects. Probably started from a misconception about UMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BobBobson
I think you teachers just did the old 90% for the highest grade (which is quite flawed). Teachers (in my school) would always have 90% being A* in all subjects. Probably started from a misconception about UMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. It is one of the reasons that teacher-assigned grades (in cases where the teachers have defined the grade boundaries), mean little to nothing. Many teachers overestimate grade boundaries, very rarely underestimating them, which leads students to think that they are further behind, than they actually are. While it may encourage them to work, it's often being unintentionally dishonest. (this includes using full-exam boundaries for end of topic tests, a practice which I despise)

Latest