The Student Room Group

Greek and Latin Language at university

Hi,
So my A level choices are looming and I need to decide between law or Latin and Greek. I want to do Latin and Greek, I am thoroughly enjoying the set texts and have recently had everything click with the Greek and it all makes sense! I would like to go into the civil service or diplomatic service and would like to know how good Latin and Greek are for this. I worry that if I take this then I might end up in academia or teaching, now please don't get me wrong I have no issue with these professions I just personally feel that I would not like to do them. So yeah, are they good for the diplomatic and civil service and is it possible that I would end up teaching if I took them?
Original post by Dave_77
Hi,
So my A level choices are looming and I need to decide between law or Latin and Greek. I want to do Latin and Greek, I am thoroughly enjoying the set texts and have recently had everything click with the Greek and it all makes sense! I would like to go into the civil service or diplomatic service and would like to know how good Latin and Greek are for this. I worry that if I take this then I might end up in academia or teaching, now please don't get me wrong I have no issue with these professions I just personally feel that I would not like to do them. So yeah, are they good for the diplomatic and civil service and is it possible that I would end up teaching if I took them?

If you're talking about A-Levels then I would recommend Latin and Greek over Law. You could definitely be a civil servant with a Classics degree and you could always study a Law degree with Latin and Greek A-Levels.
Reply 2
Original post by Edminzodo
If you're talking about A-Levels then I would recommend Latin and Greek over Law. You could definitely be a civil servant with a Classics degree and you could always study a Law degree with Latin and Greek A-Levels.

Sorry, I realise I wasn't clear, I'm not considering law as an A-level just at degree level :smile:. But thank you, I reckon I'll go Latin and Greek then decide in the next couple of years!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending