The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Batuhxn
I want to be a police constable in the near future but i've had problems with panic attacks two years ago.

So far it's not happening anymore and hopefully never comes back in the state i had it last time but it only happens when i'm about to go on roller coasters so i avoid those.

Do you think the met would hire someone who has had anxiety problems several years ago?

The police take medical screening very seriously. You will be asked about it. Some forces make their medical screening policies public, alternatively you should be able to find national guidance online. The met in particular can afford to be extremely selective.

I'm sure you're aware but make no mistake; as a police officer you will find yourself in very very challenging situations. Freezing up or having an attack in such circumstances could lead to very serious harm.
Reply 2
Original post by Batuhxn
I want to be a police constable in the near future but i've had problems with panic attacks two years ago.

So far it's not happening anymore and hopefully never comes back in the state i had it last time but it only happens when i'm about to go on roller coasters so i avoid those.

Do you think the met would hire someone who has had anxiety problems several years ago?

I had depression years ago and I still got into a police force (not the Met) so I wouldn't worry too much, but of course no one can give you a definite answer. If you were to be successful at your day 1 (interview / role plays etc) you would then have a medical assessment. Just make sure you declare the anxiety and note the time gap since your last panic attack.

But I echo what the above poster said; you need to realise that the job can be very, very stressful. You will be dealing with violent/aggressive individuals and with very traumatic things/scenes (suicides / dead bodies / vulnerable children etc) so you need to research the role, be very honest with yourself and try and decide if you could cope with the pressure.

For the time being just get as much volunteer/work experience as possible and build up your confidence/resilience - don't rush into the police whatever you do. Best of luck!
Reply 3
Original post by PYDogVan
I had depression years ago and I still got into a police force (not the Met) so I wouldn't worry too much, but of course no one can give you a definite answer. If you were to be successful at your day 1 (interview / role plays etc) you would then have a medical assessment. Just make sure you declare the anxiety and note. the time gap since your last panic attack.

But I echo what the above poster said; you need to realise that the job can be very, very stressful. You will be dealing with violent/aggressive individuals and with very traumatic things/scenes (suicides / dead bodies / vulnerable children etc) so you need to research the role, be very honest with yourself and try and decide if you could cope with the pressure.

For the time being just get as much volunteer/work experience as possible and build up your confidence/resilience - don't rush into the police whatever you do. Best of luck!

Thanks for this , good to be hearing this from an active police officer.
Reply 4
Original post by Batuhxn
Thanks for this , good to be hearing this from an active police officer.

Ex :biggrin:
Reply 5
Ex :biggrin:

Oh okay , still thanks man :smile:
Why do you want to join them? EVERYONE I've known to join them has became a shell of the person they used to be; corrupt, lacking humility and power-hungry.

Chase a career where you really can make a difference
Reply 7
Original post by pmc:producer
Why do you want to join the piggery? EVERYONE I've known to join them has became a shell of the person they used to be; corrupt, lacking humility and power-hungry.

Chase a career where you really can make a difference, not a failing institution where you'll be forced to change or be bullied.

You are so misinformed and to use the word "piggery" is extremely childish and pathetic. I can only imagine you've had run ins with the police and now have a hate towards all officers. It's rare for someone to know of a lot of people who have become police officers; how many exactly do you know? Corrupted/power hungry officers exists and these types of people exist in every organisation (if only you saw what goes on in the banks...) but to generalise like that is ridiculous.

Many officers want to make a difference but can't. There is zero respect from the public due to the actions of a few and they can never win; if they don't do something they are critcised for it and if they actually do their job and have to use force crowds shout brutality. None of the good deeds officers do are reported in the media, only the bad, and maybe if you had to pick up body pieces you'd change a little bit (I know I did, but it didn't make me corrupt and I left for my own personal reasons).

If the police is a failing institution it's because of this government who have cut back public services non-stop imposing red tape rules while enjoying a 12-13% pay rise and zero blame it seems. I'd love for all the police bashers to spend just one shift dealing with the worst of society and then see if they want to come back >.<
(edited 7 years ago)
There's so much wrong with what you've written, I'll take time to go throughit piece by piece (after which I suggest we perhaps go our separate ways sincewe'll never agree on this issue.

You are so misinformed and to use the word"piggery" is extremely childish and pathetic. I can only imagineyou've had run ins with the police and now have a hate towards all officers.It's rare for someone to know of a lot of people who have become policeofficers; how many exactly do you know? Corrupted/power hungry officers existsand these types of people exist in every organisation (if only you saw whatgoes on in the banks...) but to generalise like that is ridiculous.

I'm not misinformed at all, piggery is a fitting word - it's not extremelychildish, or pathetic. If anything it highlights the disconnect between Policeand the community they serve - note it.

Secondly, I would appreciate you didn't question my integrity by challenginghow many people I know who have joined the police. For anyone reading this whomay buy in to your insinuation; 4. I know four separate people from my circleand outer circle of friends who have joined this inward organization - all ofwhom are barely recognizable now. They bully people; one even gave a homelessman a fine for doing a **** in the street when he didn't... They're all havingaffairs within the police... They stereotype badly and overall, their attitudeto anyone who isn't at University or in a job they see as satisfactory is thatof distaste. It's shockingly bad.

Thirdly, don't justify the level of police corruption by stating it happensin every organization - what a pathetic and narrow-minded statement to make.The police are civil servants there to serve and protect where otherorganizations do - that means it shouldn't exist - period. How on earth do youbuild trust with an organization with previous for covering up child sex abuse,setting people up to get the results they want and a mentality and culture ofsuperiority (particularly when the majority are deadbeats who finished a degreein zoology and spent a year volunteering as a SC before moving in to big boywork - like doing the beat and harassing groups of 15 year olds)?

Lastly, my only run in with them is when they lied and told me I drovecarelessly, sped off at traffic lights, and pulled in in front of another carwho had to take evasive action and emergency brake so as not to run in to theback of me... All that to bully me in to accepting 3 points. What an awkwardmoment court was when my dashcam footage and friend appeared on the evidencelist - the friend being the one who had to 'emergency brake' - One would excepthe was a crown witness against me with their claims... Not a defence witnessfor me.

Many officers want to make a difference but can't. There is zero respectfrom the public due to the actions of a few and they can never win; if theydon't do something they are critcised for it and if they actually do their joband have to use force crowds shout brutality. None of the good deeds officersdo are reported in the media, only the bad, and maybe if you had to pick upbody pieces you'd change a little bit (I know I did, but it didn't make mecorrupt and I left for my own personal reasons).

Many officers do want to, I agree. In fact, those four people I mentionedearlier did. Yet it took less than 12 months before they became the type ofperson you ignore texts from. Nobody is suggesting individual police don't dogood deeds, I'm suggesting as an organization it's corrupt, inward thinking andabusive. And it'll never change, that's why I suggested going elsewhere foremployment. The police culture is simply 'do what it takes to fit in'. You mayhave been that one in 10 that didn't confirm (I doubt it, but it's possible)and if this is the case, well done you.

If the police is a failing institution it's because of this government who havecut back public services non-stop imposing red tape rules while enjoying a12-13% pay rise and zero blame it seems. I'd love for all the police bashers tospend just one shift dealing with the worst of society and then see if theywant to come back >.<

Again, I think you're wrong. Don't blame government cuts exclusively. Blamepolice officers talking to people in communities like ****; failing to properlyengage or build trust in the communities they are apparently there to serve;stereotyping badly (i.e. on a Saturday night, everyone in town is drunk andaggressive - even the sober ones)... The list could go on but I'm sure you getthe message - the point is this: it's a failing institution because of severalfactors, police culture and attitude is certainly a big one. They aredisengaged - and they don't even care. Again, inward-thinking organization.

And please don't play that bleeding-heart 'do one shift and you'll see'. Myresponse to that is how about you do one shift with the view that the majorityof people in society are good people; and treat them as such. And when you takeabuse in the streets from drunken idiots - man up and get over it - its part ofthe job profile and you knew what to expect when you tried to change the worldby joining the police.
Reply 9
Hey man look we really didn't ask for your opinion on the police and all I did was ask a civilised question
Original post by Batuhxn
Hey man look we really didn't ask for your opinion on the police

Hey man, welcome to the internet.

As for you question - its unnecessary, of course they will. Unless of course they are willing to break the law they are there to enforce - and it's not like that happens.

Of course you can get in. Worth noting that you may have to be a dogsbody Special (volunteer) for a year or so to 'support your application', but yes - you are perfectly able to do the job and be selected for it.
As for you question - its unnecessary, of course they will. Unless of course they are willing to break the law they are there to enforce - and it's not like that happens.

While I get the point you're trying make, that's not necessarily true at all. Several workplaces are exempt from the equalities act for various reasons. It was only very recently that certain height restrictions were withdrawn, for example.
Original post by Drewski
While I get the point you're trying make, that's not necessarily true at all. Several workplaces are exempt from the equalities act for various reasons. It was only very recently that certain height restrictions were withdrawn, for example.

Of course several industries are exempt from certain equality law and can overlook protected characteristics... The Police as an organization however, can't discriminate against anxiety... And it's at the employees discretion to disclose he - or she* - even suffered from it.
There's so much wrong with what you've written, I'll take time to go throughit piece by piece (after which I suggest we perhaps go our separate ways sincewe'll never agree on this issue.

I'm not misinformed at all, piggery is a fitting word - it's not extremelychildish, or pathetic. If anything it highlights the disconnect between Policeand the community they serve - note it.

Secondly, I would appreciate you didn't question my integrity by challenginghow many people I know who have joined the police. For anyone reading this whomay buy in to your insinuation; 4. I know four separate people from my circleand outer circle of friends who have joined this inward organization - all ofwhom are barely recognizable now. They bully people; one even gave a homelessman a fine for doing a **** in the street when he didn't... They're all havingaffairs within the police... They stereotype badly and overall, their attitudeto anyone who isn't at University or in a job they see as satisfactory is thatof distaste. It's shockingly bad.

Thirdly, don't justify the level of police corruption by stating it happensin every organization - what a pathetic and narrow-minded statement to make.The police are civil servants there to serve and protect where otherorganizations do - that means it shouldn't exist - period. How on earth do youbuild trust with an organization with previous for covering up child sex abuse,setting people up to get the results they want and a mentality and culture ofsuperiority (particularly when the majority are deadbeats who finished a degreein zoology and spent a year volunteering as a SC before moving in to big boywork - like doing the beat and harassing groups of 15 year olds)?

Lastly, my only run in with them is when they lied and told me I drovecarelessly, sped off at traffic lights, and pulled in in front of another carwho had to take evasive action and emergency brake so as not to run in to theback of me... All that to bully me in to accepting 3 points. What an awkwardmoment court was when my dashcam footage and friend appeared on the evidencelist - the friend being the one who had to 'emergency brake' - One would excepthe was a crown witness against me with their claims... Not a defence witnessfor me.

Many officers do want to, I agree. In fact, those four people I mentionedearlier did. Yet it took less than 12 months before they became the type ofperson you ignore texts from. Nobody is suggesting individual police don't dogood deeds, I'm suggesting as an organization it's corrupt, inward thinking andabusive. And it'll never change, that's why I suggested going elsewhere foremployment. The police culture is simply 'do what it takes to fit in'. You mayhave been that one in 10 that didn't confirm (I doubt it, but it's possible)and if this is the case, well done you.

Again, I think you're wrong. Don't blame government cuts exclusively. Blamepolice officers talking to people in communities like ****; failing to properlyengage or build trust in the communities they are apparently there to serve;stereotyping badly (i.e. on a Saturday night, everyone in town is drunk andaggressive - even the sober ones)... The list could go on but I'm sure you getthe message - the point is this: it's a failing institution because of severalfactors, police culture and attitude is certainly a big one. They aredisengaged - and they don't even care. Again, inward-thinking organization.

And please don't play that bleeding-heart 'do one shift and you'll see'. Myresponse to that is how about you do one shift with the view that the majorityof people in society are good people; and treat them as such. And when you takeabuse in the streets from drunken idiots - man up and get over it - its part ofthe job profile and you knew what to expect when you tried to change the worldby joining the police.

You clearly have a deep hate that will never change. I sense underline aggression from you and suspect that you've had more interaction with the police than what you've declared above (yes, I question your "integrity"). Someone who hates the police as much as you claims to have 4 friends who are coppers? I don't buy it one bit.

You don't know me as a person (true, I don't know you) and you don't know the other thousands of officers up and down the country as people. "Do one shift with the view that the majority of people in society are good people" - I DID. I have always believed there is more good then bad in the world despite all the rubbish that takes place, and I treated everyone with respect, even hardline criminals. What I learned was that it didn't matter how much respect I gave; people never ever gave it back. Then there are people like you who hate the police and aren't afraid to show it being rude and abusive and hypocritical. Don't try to patronise me with "Well done you"; funny how you ask for me not to question your integrity yet you would doubt mine.

What angers me the most is that you are literally generalising EVERY single police officer in your post; no one should generalise anyone. Your counter reply would be that the police generalise but for goodness sake not every single officer! I don't know where you live but I can assure you 110% that the situation is not the same in all of the country. In regards to corruption I was simply trying to state that bad apples exist everywhere, that's life. You have no idea how angry officers get when the bad stories come out because the actions of a few poison everyone's view on the police as a whole. The past corruptions will hang over for years to come but as new officers come in they are trying to change this.

You say "Blamepolice officers talking to people in communities like ****; failing to properlyengage or build trust in the communities they are apparently there to serve" - how on earth are officers meant to fully engage and build trust when there are people like you out there who have built up their walls and refuse any reasonable debate!? It's madness and again one sided.

More and more officers are leaving of their own accord after 1-3 years because they've had enough of the stress and lack of support and general bs, leading to ongoing recruitment in some forces recently. They are not power hungry bullies and some even leave because they hate the whole taking someone's liberty away. I am not for one minute saying that everything you have written is untrue and you're entitled to your opinion but you're taking an extremely one sided view. I get the impression from the way you write/talk that you don't have much respect for people generally and are probably blinded to this fact, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Either way I know that officers make differences every single day despite the hardships and lack of recognition; I'd have more respect for you if you acknowledged some of this good and had a reasonable debate but you will not do that. The question I ask myself is what difference you make to society that matches their deeds other than your spouting of hate...

Oh FYI I am looking into becoming a nurse; want to hate on that profession as well?
hey man, welcome to the internet.

Of course you can get in. Worth noting that you may have to be a dogsbody special (volunteer) for a year or so to 'support your application', but yes - you are perfectly able to do the job and be selected for it.

pathetic
You're absolutely deluded.
You're absolutely deluded.

The feeling is completely and utterly mutual. Let's leave it at that. I'm getting off these forums because I value my sanity.

Original post by Batuhxn
Hey man look we really didn't ask for your opinion on the police and all I did was ask a civilised question

OP, good luck to you; you've seen first hand in this topic what kind of people you'll be dealing with should you go ahead and join the police. Don't let anyone put you off if you want to join after researching the role; haters are going to hate etc etc etc and have their pitiful one-sided views. Just know there are a fair few left in the general public who will appreciate you...
Of course several industries are exempt from certain equality law and can overlook protected characteristics... The Police as an organization however, can't discriminate against anxiety... And it's at the employees discretion to disclose he - or she* - even suffered from it.

Not if it's been medically diagnosed.
Original post by Drewski
Not if it's been medically diagnosed.

Wrong - the 2010 Equality Act allows a prospective employee to disclose or not at their discretion during application and interview stage...
Wrong - the 2010 Equality Act allows a prospective employee to disclose or not at their discretion during application and interview stage...

Unless medical history is an important part of their suitability for the role and the employer is exempt from that provision of the act, as quite a few are. I'm aware of some police roles (notably firearms, but some others) and some forces where they do ask for a medical history when applying. In a similar (though not as intense) way that the armed forces do.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending