The Student Room Group

Stop with the "who created God" argument it's bloody horrendous.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
The universe in its current form clearly isn't eternal as it began with the Big Bang. Whether the singularity/quantum fluctuations that "preceded" it have always existed in some form is another matter and science isn't yet at the point where it can answer that question.

I don't see why the "something rather than nothing" is seen as a convincing or powerful point because it's nothing more than the Anthropic Principle. We can only question and talk about this because there is something, allowing us to evolve. We are here because of the conditions. The conditions didn't think ahead and tailor themselves to us like would be expected from an intelligent design argument.

I'm not talking about whether or not the universe is designed for us. I'm just noting the fact that it exists, and asking for a credible reason why this is. The fact humans exist has no bearing on why there is something rather than nothing.

Saying 'the only reason we can talk about this is because we exist' is irrelevant to this point, and besides, the only reason we can talk about anything is because we exist, including science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BrainJuice
The reason why people think this can even count as an argument is because the majority of things around them, have been created - so they assume that the same must apply to The Creator. And yet this is just proof that there is an Eternal Creator as if this was the case everything you see would be created.

We know there must be an Eternal First Cause, as otherwise there would be an infinite regress, meaning that nothing at all would come to existence. Again I've explained above why the human mind might not think this could be possible.

If you can have an eternal creator, why not an eternal universe?

Also, if the creator is eternal, isn't she really just another name for that universe?
Original post by SunnysideSea
I'm not talking about whether or not the universe is designed for us. I'm just noting the fact that it exists, and asking for a credible reason why this is. The fact humans exist has no bearing on why there is something rather than nothing.

Saying 'the only reason we can talk about this is because we exist' is irrelevant to this point, and besides, the only reason we can talk about anything is because we exist, including science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Anthropic Principle is a very important and oft-used fallacy. It is completely relevant because your question subtly implies that there is a reason why there's something rather than nothing. There isn't, or at least there's no evidence for this.

I'm not actually sure what you're trying to get at. Something exists just because it does. It's like asking "Why does God exist?" or "Why is an atom with 6 protons carbon?" The point being that there doesn't need to be a reason as this implies there is an underlying intelligence that had reasons for doing so and there is no evidence of that. Matter and energy are unthinking and unconscious.
Religious person: Something can't come from nothing, therefore something must have created the universe/world/whatever.
Atheist: Okay, so there's God. God is something. God could not come from nothing. So where did God come from?
Religious person: Oh, he was always there.
Atheist: -_-
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Religious person: Something can't come from nothing, therefore something must have created the universe/world/whatever.
Atheist: Okay, so there's God. God is something. God could not come from nothing. So where did God come from?

Even better:

Religionist: something can't come from nothing therefore the universe must have had a creator.

Atheist: so what did God create the universe (i.e. everything) out of?

Religionist: nothing.
Original post by !!mentor!!
You're right. god isn't an event. god isn't anything but a made up story.
Again the big bang could've been the "eternal first cause". A hypothesis gaining ground, which stems from the multiverse hypothesis suggests that the big bang has always been happening. Here's one of many links that you can check out.

http://www.physics.princeton.edu/~steinh/endlessuniverse/askauthors.html

Don't worry, if you don't understand, the rest of use scientifically literate people do. Perhaps you can pray to the flying spaghetti monster ( http://www.venganza.org/about/ ) or whatever made up god you believe in.for knowledge.

Actually, the article is simply a theory saying there were Big Bangs before the Big Bang - don't try and connect that to the 'a Big Bang is happening right now' - trying to change your beliefs mid-argument just makes you look funny as we are talking about one Big Bang so if there were Big Bangs before it still couldn't be eternal.

Your condescension is quite funny but you know. If you wanna say he's a made-up story then sure.

Just when I think you finally understand about the absurdity of the outside of the outside of time, you then show that you don't by believing god exists outside of time. If something can exist outside of time, then why not the outside of outside of time?

Really, before you reply just take a bit of time to think about this.

Again, eternal / eternity are indeed an application of time and so can't be outside of time. It's like saying 'south' isn't an application of direction as it exists outside of directions. I don't claim to be a quantum physicist, but I do tend to read a variety of scientific articles and if something piques my interest, i'll seek out academic papers, so i'm pretty sure I have a stronger grasp of such concepts. I believe that education is very important. If only you people believed in facts as much as you believed in fairy tales the world would be a better place.

whoa - a round of applause for that strawman - it was magnificent but unfortunately not what I even said.

South is an application of direction but something that is south of you isn't an application of direction. So just because the word eternal relates to time, doesn't mean the thing it is describing can't be outside of time. There is no outside of the outside of time because the outside of time is the Metacosm - how can there be an outside of an outside without you even acknowledging that that outside exists.

Now, if you feel the need to go to the bible to find a way to contradict peer-reviewed studies, then you can't hope to understand such concepts.

I'm not confused. Although, i'm not a physicist, I do read around the subject. I make a huge amount of sense. I would implore you to educate yourself. If you disagree with my stance then read around the subject and link in some peer-reviewed science to justify your position. Otherwise, you'll remain ignorant and that would be a shame when we live in a world when we've more access to information than we've ever had. Thanks, science.

Loving those peer-reviewed studies that didn't even go against me. Wow, someone says they made a huge amount of sense - they're obviously not biased. There's no point in hypocritical judgement in fact the Bible says it's wrong. Do not ask people to educate themselves in such a rude way. without you yourself being educated.

But I didn't get proven wrong. I stated something and you said basically said, "That's not right. It's god, innit". That's not proof. That is a counter statement not backed by anything. If I were you, I wouldn't think of going to university just yet. You'll acquire unnecessary crippling debt by answering every question with, "god did it, innit".

Another strawman - do I need to reassure you I am not a crow?

I never said, because you're wrong 'god did it, innit' - just because scientists have no empirical proof for abiogenesis (which evolution depends on) doesn't mean 'god did it, innit' but it means that people who cry for empirical proof of God are only deceiving themselves when there is 0 empirical proof for abiogenesis.

I believe God is the eternal first cause and I proved you wrong by saying the Big Bang as an EVENT can't be eternal - that's not attributing it God. You've been holding this strawman up the whole argument and that's the real misguided belief.

Your beliefs are totally misguided. If everyone had your beliefs then we'd be having this conversation still living in the dark ages. Again, thanks science.

Science has never and can't ever harm anyone. People harm people. No-one ever said, "I will kill you as Charles Darwin demands in the book, 'The origin of species'. But people have and do still kill stating that that is what god demands in the bible.

I doubt it because religion isn't even against science. I'm sure we would have gone further if people took Christianity for what it actually was.

As you can say science has never and can't ever harm anyone - I can say a relationship with God doesn't harm anyone. People harm people.

Your cringy LOL's are getting weird. LOL

LOL Again, you've offered no proof of anything. So there's no need to worry about my education. I consistently obtain firsts so i'll be okay. LOL

LOL I probably did prove your logic...on opposite world. Unfortunately for you, this is Earth where facts and logic prevail over superstition. You should visit this plant more often to get used to it. LOL

Just read up on the big bang and and the cyclic hypothesis.
Uh oh, but that would mean educating yourself about something. We can't have that, can we.

LOL

Spoiler

It's pretty funny how I used 'LOL' twice in my post and you used the smiley 10 times which if you didn't guess is 5 times as much as my usage but I guess you get triggered easily. You used the smiley after almost every sentence and it's funny how you just use the LOL in the same way in a hypocritical and worse way than mine own.

As said before, hypocritical judgement is wrong and just plain embarrassing.

I'm loving that clear empirical proof for the Cyclic Hypothesis - o wait there is none.

How can you be so rude in a simple internet argument? I guess it just comes down to how triggered you are - but I shouldn't worry about your self-control - you don't believe in any real lasting consequences of your actions anyway (wait was that just a gross misrepresentation of your beliefs - yes it was - and it's exactly what you've been doing this whole argument with strawmans left, right and centre)

I have no superstitions but if you actually knew what the Big Bang was, you'd know an event couldn't be eternal and that the Cyclic Hypothesis doesn't even say the Big Bang is Eternal :/

rip don't force it and the Multiverse theory (which if you actually believe in - you are having as much faith as Christians in Christ) together to pretend as if you're right.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
If you can have an eternal creator, why not an eternal universe?

Also, if the creator is eternal, isn't she really just another name for that universe?

If the Universe was eternal, there was no Big Bang which I'm guessing you believe in.
The Anthropic Principle is a very important and oft-used fallacy. It is completely relevant because your question subtly implies that there is a reason why there's something rather than nothing. There isn't, or at least there's no evidence for this.

I'm not actually sure what you're trying to get at. Something exists just because it does. It's like asking "Why does God exist?" or "Why is an atom with 6 protons carbon?" The point being that there doesn't need to be a reason as this implies there is an underlying intelligence that had reasons for doing so and there is no evidence of that. Matter and energy are unthinking and unconscious.

The idea of 'nothing' is dreamed up in the world of something"Something predicates the absence of nothing. You have one or the other and never both or anything in between.I.E. If something ever existed at all, then something is all there ever wasAlso, if nothing existed, then it would be something by virtue of existing.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

Even better:

Religionist: something can't come from nothing therefore the universe must have had a creator.

Atheist: so what did God create the universe (i.e. everything) out of?

Religionist: nothing.

Not even how it goes

Born-again Christian: Every effect must have a cause. This universe and everything in it is an effect. There must be something that caused everything to come into existence. Ultimately, there must be something “un-caused” in order to cause everything else to come into existence. That “un-caused” cause is God.

Atheist: Who created God?
Born-again Christian: That question sneaks in the false assumption that God came from somewhere and then asks where that might be. The answer is that the question does not even make sense. It is like asking, “What does blue smell like?” Blue is not in the category of things that have a smell, so the question itself is flawed. In the same way, God is not in the category of things that are created or caused. God is uncaused and uncreated—He simply exists.

Atheist: Stupid theists, always bending the rules - how do you even know that?

Born-again Christian: How do we know this? We know that from nothing, nothing comes. So, if there were ever a time when there was absolutely nothing in existence, then nothing would have ever come into existence. But things do exist. Therefore, since there could never have been absolutely nothing, something had to have always been in existence. That ever-existing thing is what we call God. God is the uncaused Being that caused everything else to come into existence. God is the uncreated Creator who created the universe and everything in it.

:smile:

(with help from gotquestions)
Original post by StudyJosh
The idea of 'nothing' is dreamed up in the world of something"Something predicates the absence of nothing. You have one or the other and never both or anything in between.I.E. If something ever existed at all, then something is all there ever wasAlso, if nothing existed, then it would be something by virtue of existing.

Not sure how this is relevant to my post. I never said a literal nothing existed.
Not even how it goes

Born-again Christian: Every effect must have a cause. This universe and everything in it is an effect. There must be something that caused everything to come into existence. Ultimately, there must be something “un-caused” in order to cause everything else to come into existence. That “un-caused” cause is God.

Atheist: Who created God?
Born-again Christian: That question sneaks in the false assumption that God came from somewhere and then asks where that might be. The answer is that the question does not even make sense. It is like asking, “What does blue smell like?” Blue is not in the category of things that have a smell, so the question itself is flawed. In the same way, God is not in the category of things that are created or caused. God is uncaused and uncreated—He simply exists.

Atheist: Stupid theists, always bending the rules - how do you even know that?

Born-again Christian: How do we know this? We know that from nothing, nothing comes. So, if there were ever a time when there was absolutely nothing in existence, then nothing would have ever come into existence. But things do exist. Therefore, since there could never have been absolutely nothing, something had to have always been in existence. That ever-existing thing is what we call God. God is the uncaused Being that caused everything else to come into existence. God is the uncreated Creator who created the universe and everything in it.

:smile:

(with help from gotquestions)

Just baseless assumptions. An uncaused cause doesn't have to have the characteristics typically associated with God.

Also, this doesn't answer the question. Unless you're a pantheist then it's likely you believe God's creation is not part of himself ergo it must have been made from nothing if God was all that existed before the universe.
Original post by Fullofsurprises

God is a "He" you feminist witch :fuhrer:
Original post by BrainJuice
The reason why people think this can even count as an argument is because the majority of things around them, have been created - so they assume that the same must apply to The Creator. And yet this is just proof that there is an Eternal Creator

Umm no it's not
We are humans. Our knowledge is limited , yet we must use our senses that the creator has given us.

We humans cant even look at the sun for more than 5 seconds yet we demand evidence for a "God".

Posted from TSR Mobile
If the Universe was eternal, there was no Big Bang which I'm guessing you believe in.

I will never for the life of me understand why people imply that atheists somehow 'believe' in scientific theory.
You can't 'believe' in the Big Bang nor can you 'believe' in any other theory that contradicts creationism. Science isn't a belief system.
Actually, the article is simply a theory saying there were Big Bangs before the Big Bang - don't try and connect that to the 'a Big Bang is happening right now' - trying to change your beliefs mid-argument just makes you look funny as we are talking about one Big Bang so if there were Big Bangs before it still couldn't be eternal.

Your condescension is quite funny but you know. If you wanna say he's a made-up story then sure.

whoa - a round of applause for that strawman - it was magnificent but unfortunately not what I even said.

South is an application of direction but something that is south of you isn't an application of direction. So just because the word eternal relates to time, doesn't mean the thing it is describing can't be outside of time. There is no outside of the outside of time because the outside of time is the Metacosm - how can there be an outside of an outside without you even acknowledging that that outside exists.

Loving those peer-reviewed studies that didn't even go against me. Wow, someone says they made a huge amount of sense - they're obviously not biased. There's no point in hypocritical judgement in fact the Bible says it's wrong. Do not ask people to educate themselves in such a rude way. without you yourself being educated.

I never said, because you're wrong 'god did it, innit' - just because scientists have no empirical proof for abiogenesis (which evolution depends on) doesn't mean 'god did it, innit' but it means that people who cry for empirical proof of God are only deceiving themselves when there is 0 empirical proof for abiogenesis.

I believe God is the eternal first cause and I proved you wrong by saying the Big Bang as an EVENT can't be eternal - that's not attributing it God. You've been holding this strawman up the whole argument and that's the real misguided belief.

I doubt it because religion isn't even against science. I'm sure we would have gone further if people took Christianity for what it actually was.

As you can say science has never and can't ever harm anyone - I can say a relationship with God doesn't harm anyone. People harm people.

It's pretty funny how I used 'LOL' twice in my post and you used the smiley 10 times which if you didn't guess is 5 times as much as my usage but I guess you get triggered easily. You used the smiley after almost every sentence and it's funny how you just use the LOL in the same way in a hypocritical and worse way than mine own.

I'm loving that clear empirical proof for the Cyclic Hypothesis - o wait there is none.

How can you be so rude in a simple internet argument? I guess it just comes down to how triggered you are - but I shouldn't worry about your self-control - you don't believe in any real lasting consequences of your actions anyway (wait was that just a gross misrepresentation of your beliefs - yes it was - and it's exactly what you've been doing this whole argument with strawmans left, right and centre)

I have no superstitions but if you actually knew what the Big Bang was, you'd know an event couldn't be eternal and that the Cyclic Hypothesis doesn't even say the Big Bang is Eternal :/

rip don't force it and the Multiverse theory (which if you actually believe in - you are having as much faith as Christians in Christ) together to pretend as if you're right.

False, evolution does not rely on abiogenesis. They are two independent theories. Even if it were proven that life were instigated by a magical troll evolution would continue to be true.

Not so. There are hypotheses and logical constructions that one can come up with to describe an eternal universe that also undergoes Big Bangs, the cyclical model being but one example. Whether those ideas have evidence in their favour is a different matter.

Actually, I never tried to link that into a big bang is happening now. I submitted that to highlight to you that if big bangs happened before the big bang, then how could there be an outside of time, since big bangs hypothetically happen continuously. I'm loving the fact that you couldn't discern that. A study of science would've given you critical thinking skills. Winning this debate against you is sooo easy.

And no-one can state if the big bang is over or is still in the process of happening. I read a couple of articles about that a few years back which put forth that it is continuous, which i'll find and post up (oh no, more evidence).

But it goes along the lines of this:

pic.jpg

In this image, when has the explosion finished? At picture 2? Picture 10? Or at picture 20? We know there was a 'big bang' i.e sudden rapid expansion but we have no idea to what extent it will expand. We have no idea at what stage in the universe's expansion process we are in and so we don't know if the process of the big bang is over.

At last, you show evidence of learning. It has only taken a couple of weeks. You understood that I was putting humour into my condescension (oh, by the way, that word means I talk down to you).

There's an easy way to show that it's not a made up story...evidence. Or perhaps that evidence also exists outside of the outside of time. Alongside the big band.

You don't have to say something to insinuate it. Again, you should refrain from using words that you don't know their application for. Something that is eternal requires time to be applied to it (by its very nature if it's eternal) and there's no evidence that the concept of eternal / eternity can exist outside of time.

If something is south of something, by the very fact it is south means it exists in a place where direction exists. If this god concept is eternal then it must exist in a place where time exists, thus this god concept can't exists outside of time if it's eternal.

Now here is the place to use the term 'strawman' (hopefully you won't take weeks to learn the appropriate usage like you did in regards to humour) argument. Those peer-reviewed studies absolutely go against what you say. I've asked multiple times for you to provide evidence for your stance and you've failed everytime. You'll likely continue to fail to provide evidence for your stance.

I've not asked people to educate themselves. I've asked one person, you, to educate themselves (#triggered Do you need a safe space now. Perhaps you can use a safe space outside of time? There's no safer place to be). You are not people. You're a person. One person does not make people. And i've never been anything but polite and humorous (even by your admission). Oh, how our schools have failed you since you fail to even understand that.

Perhaps you never went because there were no schools in your area. Maybe because the schools existed outside of time...hmmm.

Again, using 'strawman' in a place where it doesn't apply. How about this, how about we put this debate on hold whilst you go and learn about the term 'strawman' (judging by the speed of your mental uptake, I say I have a few weeks before that term registers with you). And what on earth are you talking about i.e crow?

Evolution doesn't depend on abiogenesis. Those are two separate fields. Education would have helped inform you of that.

But...but...but abiogenis exists outside of time which is why you can't find evidence, har de har.

I've never said or insinuated that because you don't accept the big bang that must mean you believe that god is the cause. I've tackled your god claim, because you out and out stated that god was the eternal first cause. You should read over your posts to keep track of what you're saying.

Again, you haven't proved me wrong. You simply made a counter-statement without evidence. Whilst you're spending weeks trying to learn the term 'strawman', you should take that time to understand the terms 'proof / prove'.

Religion typically does go against science. Your posts shows this to be the case. Although people harm people, most mainstream religions encourage people to harm other people. Science doesn't. A relationship with god is one of the most harmful forces the world has ever known.

If people took christianity for what it is, then we would've had the dark ages, the persecution of scientists etc...oh wait, we did when christianity was more wide spread.

You know what's funnier, I only used the smiley face 10 times yet you felt it warranted a remark. #more triggered than John Wayne's handgun. :u:

There was nothing hypocritical about my LOL usage. I meant it...LOL.

If it has affected you that much, perhaps you should find a safe space outside of time. But not a safe space outside of the outside of time. Because that would be ridiculous :rolleyes:
At no point did I say that the cyclic hypothesis had proof. I even said that it was a hypothesis which may be an explanation why there is no such thing as before the big bang or outside of time.

If you find hypocritical judgement embarrassing, then perhaps stop making hypocritical judgements. No need to be so easily embarrassed.

I've not been rude at all and I don't think you have either. Perhaps working on your sensitivity would improve state of mind?

You've not asked me about how i consider my actions in relation to consequences. How can you assume to misrepresent them if you don't know what my beliefs about consequences are? Oh yeah, that's because you're happy assume a position without evidence. All you had to do was ask but we can't have you using evidence to prove your position, can we?

I've already given a counter-counter-statement as to how the big bang can be considered to be ongoing (i'll find the links soon). And the cyclic hypothesis is an counter argument to the outside of time concept as I explained above. This has as much weight as the god delusion.

Multiverses aside, I don't put faith in anything. I base my position on evidence and facts, not faith. Try it and find enlightenment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
God is a "He" you feminist witch :fuhrer:

Your God may be a Daddy God. Mine's a Mummy God. :yep:
Original post by StrawbAri
I will never for the life of me understand why people imply that atheists somehow 'believe' in scientific theory.
You can't 'believe' in the Big Bang nor can you 'believe' in any other theory that contradicts creationism. Science isn't a belief system.

True, but only up to a point. Once theories become very widely shared and completely accepted, they do become beliefs effectively. For example, it would be foolish not to 'believe' in gravity and most people would be happy to believe now that the Moon orbits the Earth due to gravity. It's not a religious belief, but it's still a kind of belief - it's an acceptance that generations of experts and generations of experiments and theorising are more likely to be right than any other explanation.

Actually, religious ideas were like that for past generations. Repeatedly being told that it was OK for the church to steal 10% of your food or produce every year to provide for the Vatican and the Bishop was widely 'accepted' as a belief by the majority because for many centuries they accepted their 'expert' view that the Bible justified it, etc. The view gradually began to collapse when people heard other views or evidence.
Original post by Think People
We are humans. Our knowledge is limited , yet we must use our senses that the creator has given us.

There's no evidence for a creator, that's the point. Evolution has given us our senses.

We humans cant even look at the sun for more than 5 seconds yet we demand evidence for a "God".

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've seen a lot of Muslims use this sun example and I find it very bizarre. Firstly, Muslims believe Allah has no physical form and is unlike anything in physical reality. And as light is definitely part of physical reality, being blindingly bright cannot be a property of Allah.

Next, the light from the sun is dangerous because it's incredibly bright and our eyes haven't evolved to deal with it, nothing to do with divinity.

Moreover, why choose the sun? There are countless number of things which we CAN look at with no problem and I assume you believe God also created those. So by this weird logic we should be able to see evidence for God as we can see evidence for many other things.

Lastly, your statement is a non-sequitur. How does there not being evidence for God follow from the sun being bright?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending