The Student Room Group

Why are females abused for gaming?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yudothis
If you read above I said that I am not saying it does not happen at all to men.

You implied that men only ever get generic insults.

You also said that men are harassed less frequently than women, which is just your opinion, I assume?
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
You implied that men only ever get generic insults.

You also said that men are harassed less frequently than women, which is just your opinion, I assume?

Yes, I said targeted harassment occurs at a higher rate for females.
Yes, I said targeted harassment occurs at a higher rate for females.

Things like leaked nudes and location of residence don't seem to happen to men at all to be fair.
Original post by indigofox
Do you think it's true that females who do gaming for a living get abuse due to their gender, or are the culprits targeting anyone and some just happen to be women. Just read this news article I didn't know that this problem existed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/37492437/female-gamers-they-tell-me-they-are-going-to-kill-me

If it's true why do you think females are targeted?

I didnt know it existed, but its the internet.

This means it makes possible cowardly keuboard warrior attacks, with very litle chance of being caught. You cna see them on most forums and message boards.

Boys are immature, they feel threatened by a girl who is any good and they feel they have power by making threats and try to bully someone. They are socially awkward and insecure, but its the only way they can interact with a real live girl.

No surpise many of them end up being maladjusted man childs.

Hope the police ctahc up with them and they are shamed and jailed for some of the more vile repeat attacks.
Reply 44
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Things like leaked nudes and location of residence don't seem to happen to men at all to be fair.

This isn't entirely true. I'm not aware of the deal with nudes, but plenty of male gamers have been "swatted" over the years.
Original post by Dheorl
This isn't entirely true. I'm not aware of the deal with nudes, but plenty of male gamers have been "swatted" over the years.

Because that is totally the same?
Because that is totally the same?

It's far worse, sending armed police to someone's house telling them there's a serious threat is far worse then nudes being exposed. There are people in the force who believe swatting to be comparable to attempted murder. That's how serious it is.
Original post by indigofox
Do you think it's true that females who do gaming for a living get abuse due to their gender, or are the culprits targeting anyone and some just happen to be women. Just read this news article I didn't know that this problem existed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/37492437/female-gamers-they-tell-me-they-are-going-to-kill-me

If it's true why do you think females are targeted?

For sure it's because they are women. Before menisists start crying, that does not mean this never happens to men, but if you look at the proportion of women it's happening to, versus the proportion of men...

It all falls under standard videogame trash talk. Boys hound other boys about how they engage in sex with their mothers, or accuse them of being homosexuals, whereas girls are demeaned through sexism and other sexual comments. Girls are usually a rarity in online gaming, however, which makes them stand out as targets for the immature, so they tend to get piled on more quickly.

But the big difference, as some have already pointed out, is that male gamers don't make a huge deal out of it. They don't write articles and blogs about how they're routinely called homos or threatened with violence. On the other hand, society's precious, vulnerable little lambs (the female gamers) become the object of greater sympathy and moral outrage because they're told to make sandwiches by boys busy porking each other's moms.

And FYI, 'meninist' is a parody term and not a real thing.
angry little virgins syndrome (the men)

why else are they gamers..
I've witnessed (and experienced) racial abuse in gaming but it was EXTREMELY RARE, almost a miracle- maybe a 1 in 10,000, but never have I witnessed harassment of a player because she was a female. I'm sure this happens on rare occassions but sometimes I feel like the media can tend to make things appear more frequent or worse than they are.

I used to spend ~4-5 hours a day for 7 years (I was an addict...) playing various games, so either the gaming community around me were mature (I played the typical FPS games, BF2412, etc., and some MMORPGs) or the harassment was done in private so the rest of the playerbase couldn't see it. We also had competent admins on most of the servers but not all of them- even then it wasn't common to witness players going wild.

It could be that I may only have been exposed to a relatively few number of players, I'm a nobody. But if you're well known, hundreds of thousands of people get to see you then statistically speaking you're more likely to come across a crazed gamer than someone known to only a few thousand gamers.
Original post by Dandaman1

But the big difference, as some have already pointed out, is that male gamers don't make a huge deal out of it. They don't write articles and blogs about how they're routinely called homos or threatened with violence. On the other hand, society's precious, vulnerable little lambs (the female gamers) become the object of greater sympathy and moral outrage because they're told to make sandwiches by boys busy porking each other's moms.

Sums it up pretty well. I rarely saw racial abuse even when it became known I was Asian (I used a lot of voice comms), but there would be an abundance of insults thrown at you such as "Gai", "HOMO11", "eat ****", etc. If I had a large following and made blog posts and videos about the issue I could whip up a frenzy, the media would just amplify my voice and make it seem like a massive deal that a bunch of pimple-infested hormonal bags (i.e. teenagers) are out to get everyone.

The internet is a funny place. Enjoy the odd freaks and behaviour you'll get out there, but don't take things seriously when they go sour.
Original post by Zargabaath
It's far worse, sending armed police to someone's house telling them there's a serious threat is far worse then nudes being exposed. There are people in the force who believe swatting to be comparable to attempted murder. That's how serious it is.

And that is why people have been arrested for it. But tell me, in terms of prolonged harassment, how does it fare?
Original post by MasterJack
I've witnessed (and experienced) racial abuse in gaming but it was EXTREMELY RARE, almost a miracle- maybe a 1 in 10,000, but never have I witnessed harassment of a player because she was a female. I'm sure this happens on rare occassions but sometimes I feel like the media can tend to make things appear more frequent or worse than they are.

I used to spend ~4-5 hours a day for 7 years (I was an addict...) playing various games, so either the gaming community around me were mature (I played the typical FPS games, BF2412, etc., and some MMORPGs) or the harassment was done in private so the rest of the playerbase couldn't see it. We also had competent admins on most of the servers but not all of them- even then it wasn't common to witness players going wild.

It could be that I may only have been exposed to a relatively few number of players, I'm a nobody. But if you're well known, hundreds of thousands of people get to see you then statistically speaking you're more likely to come across a crazed gamer than someone known to only a few thousand gamers.

Was this before social media really took off?
And that is why people have been arrested for it. But tell me, in terms of prolonged harassment, how does it fare?

I imagine that your house being raided by an armed group of people shouting at you is a very traumatic experience that's probably quite difficult to get over.
Original post by Zargabaath
I imagine that your house being raided by an armed group of people shouting at you is a very traumatic experience that's probably quite difficult to get over.

Youtube that
Reply 55

You're right, having your house completely trashed by a swat team swarming through it and potentially being shot dead on the spot, isn't very prolonged (although putting your house back together and recovering from being screamed at at gunpoint might take a bit longer).

That wasn't my original point though, you were saying about locations being leaked, this is just a demonstration that this happens to men as well. Once it happens, to go with the swatting inevitably comes the death threats, random relentless food orders until every takeaway business in the town hates them etc.
Reply 56
Original post by yungaheartz
angry little virgins syndrome (the men)

why else are they gamers..

Maybe because it's the most interactive form of storytelling ever created, the artwork is beautiful, it can make you happy or scare the bejeebus out of you. But yea, sure, the fact that people haven't had sex is clearly why they game :tongue:
Original post by Dheorl

That is targeted. I forget about that kind of thing.
For sure it's because they are women. Before menisists start crying, that does not mean this never happens to men, but if you look at the proportion of women it's happening to, versus the proportion of men...

... you'll find that men are abused more

http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/10/22/online-harassment/*
Original post by limetang
... you'll find that men are abused more

http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/10/22/online-harassment/*

"Young women suffer particular severe forms of online harassment".

Thanks mate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending