The Student Room Group

Low ukcat score, do i still have any chance for grad med? :(

UKCAT:
VR: 480
AR: 610
QR: 720
SJT: Band 1

Average: 603

Predicted a first class in Biomed, is it worth applying to Graduate entry Medicine??

Many thanks in advance, I really need your help! :smile:
Unfortunately with that UKCAT, I don't think you'll be successful for GEM at any UKCAT unis. Have you looked into ones that don't use the UKCAT? i.e. Birmingham as you have a first or Bristol, Oxford, Cambridge?
Reply 2
Original post by Going_To_California
Unfortunately with that UKCAT, I don't think you'll be successful for GEM at any UKCAT unis. Have you looked into ones that don't use the UKCAT? i.e. Birmingham as you have a first or Bristol, Oxford, Cambridge?

Oh ok, thank you very much for replying :smile:
I know to stand a chance at Warwick and Newcastle I need to get in the 700s to be safe, so I think it would be risky applying if I'm honest :frown:. However you could apply for the 5-year courses (if you can arrange funding) and Bristol could certainly be an option as they place emphasis on personal statement (70%) and just 10% UKCAT.

There is also the BMAT for uni's such as Imperial and UCL.
If you don't want to do the 5-year, you could sit the GAMSAT in March so you know you score ahead of time and apply to Nottingham, Swansea, SGUL, Liverpool.

Don't lose hope!
Reply 4
Original post by thtgreeneyedgirl
I know to stand a chance at Warwick and Newcastle I need to get in the 700s to be safe, so I think it would be risky applying if I'm honest :frown:. However you could apply for the 5-year courses (if you can arrange funding) and Bristol could certainly be an option as they place emphasis on personal statement (70%) and just 10% UKCAT.

If you don't want to do the 5-year, you could sit the GAMSAT in March so you know you score ahead of time and apply to Nottingham, Swansea, SGUL, Liverpool.

Don't lose hope!

Thank you so much for replying and for giving me hope, i'll look into their requirements for sure!!

:smile:)
Reply 5

Don't lose hope!

5 year courses are no problem, i honestly do not mind at all! I'd really just love to study medicine and am willing to go anywhere in England, what universities would you recommend that offer a 5 year course? :smile:

Thanks in advance
Original post by Yoboy123
5 year courses are no problem, i honestly do not mind at all! I'd really just love to study medicine and am willing to go anywhere in England, what universities would you recommend that offer a 5 year course? :smile:

Thanks in advance

Not a problem :smile:

Tbh as a science grad you'll have more choice than me (an arts grad!) if you have a look on all med school sites and look at the requirements for graduates and go from there as each uni want different things. A lot ask for the UKCAT and you might want to steer clear of SOTON, Newcastle and KCL as they like a high UKCAT even from school leaver's.

As I mentioned before Bristol is a good option for you if you feel your personal statement is strong - do you have much experience?

Hope this helps a bit!
Reply 7
Not a problem :smile:

Tbh as a science grad you'll have more choice than me (an arts grad!) if you have a look on all med school sites and look at the requirements for graduates and go from there as each uni want different things. A lot ask for the UKCAT and you might want to steer clear of SOTON, Newcastle and KCL as they like a high UKCAT even from school leaver's.

As I mentioned before Bristol is a good option for you if you feel your personal statement is strong - do you have much experience?

Hope this helps a bit!

Thank you very much! Yeah i do have quite a bit of experience so hopefully my personal statement would be considered as pretty decent however I'm afraid whether unis will look at my alevels as they are pretty poor (CCC)? For a 5 year course at Bristol for example would they look down on you for having poor a alevels even though you have a first class predicted for your boomed degree (achieved first class at 2nd year) ?
Original post by Yoboy123
Thank you very much! Yeah i do have quite a bit of experience so hopefully my personal statement would be considered as pretty decent however I'm afraid whether unis will look at my alevels as they are pretty poor (CCC)? For a 5 year course at Bristol for example would they look down on you for having poor a alevels even though you have a first class predicted for your boomed degree (achieved first class at 2nd year) ?

I'm not sure off the top of my head, but it'll be on their website what the requirements for graduate applicants are :smile:

It's still worth applying to grad-entry medicine as there are other options aside UKCAT unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending