The Student Room Group

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ASTK98
What makes you think an application with an academic profile like that wouldn't put you in a good position to get an interview? Plus it's more than just academia anyway, you need a solid personal statement and reference. Your academic side of the application is good though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I read that the average applicant has 8A*s at GCSE, so obviously I'm below this. But thanks for the advice
Original post by HopelessMedic
I read that the average applicant has 8A*s at GCSE, so obviously I'm below this. But thanks for the advice

But you're UKCAT is quite strong so it should even out anyways! King's look at the PS and reference but it's not a massive factor compared to your UKCAT/GCSE combo
Reply 122
Hi, I'm considering applying to King's but I'm a bit worried about UKCAT:
GCSEs: 10A* and 1A
AS Level : 4A's
UKCAT: 706.7 band 1
I seem to recall that in one year, King's majorly interviewed candidates with 735 average - this is the only thing discouraging me from applying. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by !1111!!!!
I have got 10A*S GCSE and 688 UKCAT + Band 1
A*A*AA Predictions

Does my academics make up my UKCAT?

Your UKCAT score isn't low.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 125
Original post by !1111!!!!
I have got 10A*S GCSE and 688 UKCAT + Band 1
A*A*AA Predictions

Does my academics make up my UKCAT?

Personally, I think it will do. The average number of A* was 8 for King's last year so you're above average in that respect. Similarly, your UKCAT is above average looking at the preliminary results so that's not detrimental either. It seems that King's would be a good option.
Just wanted to say - lots of people with AAA+ predictions and 700+ UKCAT scores have been rejected pre interview by King's, whereas people with UKCAT scores in the mid 600s have been interviewed.

I think a lot of the people posting on here forget that getting an interview is more about having a well rounded application, not just a great academic background. It's all good having 10A*s at GCSE, A*A*A* predictions, 700+ in the UKCAT but if you write a mediocre personal statement or you have a bad reference then it's very likely for you to get rejected.

Food for thought IMO, good luck everyone with your applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys
Just came back from the UKCAT and got a terrible score of 600 :frown:
I have 10A* 1A at GCSE
AAA at As
Predicted 3A*
I have months of work experience
4 clinical research publications on pubmed
Do I still have a chance? :'(
Idk what happened in the test I was too underprepared as I had no guidance or resources whatsoever(being an international student)
Can someone please tell me what I can do now :frown:
Original post by AmmarAliJaved
Hey guys
Just came back from the UKCAT and got a terrible score of 600 :frown:
I have 10A* 1A at GCSE
AAA at As
Predicted 3A*
I have months of work experience
4 clinical research publications on pubmed
Do I still have a chance? :'(
Idk what happened in the test I was too underprepared as I had no guidance or resources whatsoever(being an international student)
Can someone please tell me what I can do now :frown:

Your UKCAT score is very borderline, but other academics are great. Last year they interviewed someone with a score of 612. As long as you write a solid personal statement, it's still worth a shot...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
Your UKCAT score is very borderline, but other academics are great. Last year they interviewed someone with a score of 612. As long as you write a solid personal statement, it's still worth a shot...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I think my personal statement is pretty good (judging from what people have told me)
But I am an international student, isn't getting in far more competitive?
Original post by AmmarAliJaved
Thanks! I think my personal statement is pretty good (judging from what people have told me)
But I am an international student, isn't getting in far more competitive?

Potentially, but I'm not 100% sure. At the end of the day though, don't worry about others. Medicine is competitive regardless of whether you're an international student or not. Every year loads of applicants with perfect grades and a very high UKCAT score get rejected before interview whereas other students with grades that aren't as good and a significantly UKCAT score get interviewed.

Focus on your application and I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm really confused!
I got 660 average and band 2 in the UKCAT
GCSE: 6A*s 4As (I've done them in 6 months, so they're not that amazing)
AS: AAAAA
A2: probable prediction A*A*A*A or A*A*AA
Pretty strong PS and reference
Do I stand a chance for interview?
Hey guys, any idea if my stuff would get me an interview:

GCSE's: 5A*s 5As 3Bs
A2s: 3As
UKCAT: 740 average
Original post by ASTK98
Just wanted to say - lots of people with AAA+ predictions and 700+ UKCAT scores have been rejected pre interview by King's, whereas people with UKCAT scores in the mid 600s have been interviewed.

I think a lot of the people posting on here forget that getting an interview is more about having a well rounded application, not just a great academic background. It's all good having 10A*s at GCSE, A*A*A* predictions, 700+ in the UKCAT but if you write a mediocre personal statement or you have a bad reference then it's very likely for you to get rejected.

Food for thought IMO, good luck everyone with your applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I feel slightly better now, as I was disappointed that my ukcat score was only average 640, band 2 which is low compared to other applicants.
My gcses are ok 9 A*, 3A
Predicted A*AA and 3 A at AS
so hopefully it can make up for lower ukcat. Now i'm just going to work hard to perfect my personal statement :smile:, because I have always wanted study Kings college London and the campus is very pretty!!
Hi guys, I want to know if i stand a chance in getting an interview? My stats:
GCSEs: 8A*s, 2As, 2Bs and a C
AS: AAAAA
A2: A*A*AA (achieved)
UKCAT: 630 :colondollar: and a Band 2
I think my personal statement is okay :/
Can someone please reply?
Original post by crystalni
Hi guys!
With an IB prediction of 44 (7777 HL Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, English Lit and 7 Spanish SL, 6 Maths SL) and a UKCAT of 693, Band 1 do you think I would stand a chance at Kings? In my GCSEs I got 9A*s and 3As.

My main concern is that my UKCAT won't be good enough to be considered, as I've seen so many people saying that if you don't have above 700 you shouldn't even bother :frown: If anyone could help it would be so appreciated!!

Haha, don't believe everything you hear. This is from King's themselves. Being in the 7th decile+ gives you the greatest chance, but being below that doesn't rule you out! Ask the University themselves, don't take heresay seriously!
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1475273786.593542.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bella862
Thank you! I feel slightly better now, as I was disappointed that my ukcat score was only average 640, band 2 which is low compared to other applicants.
My gcses are ok 9 A*, 3A
Predicted A*AA and 3 A at AS
so hopefully it can make up for lower ukcat. Now i'm just going to work hard to perfect my personal statement :smile:, because I have always wanted study Kings college London and the campus is very pretty!!

Haha same, I don't want to move out of London so King's would be ideal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I was just wondering whether I would get an interview for kings. It's my favourite uni!

GCSEs - 7A*s and the rest As
Predicted - AAA and A in EPQ
UKCAT - 740 average, band 2 SJT
plenty of work experience/volunteering
strong Personal statement and reference

Would i be likely to be interviewed?
Thank you!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

anyone know if 11a*'s at gcse, 4 a's at as level and predicted around 3a*'s and an a at level with a score of 677 in ukcat is strong enough??

thanks!!
Original post by Mimihxx04
Hey, I was just wondering whether I would get an interview for kings. It's my favourite uni!

I have 7A*s and the rest As.
Predicted - AAA and A in EPQ
UKCAT - 740 average, band 2 SJT
plenty of work experience/volunteering
strong Personal statement and reference

Would i be likely to be interviewed?
Thank you!!!

I think you'd definitely be considered for an interview, especially with your UKCAT score since they rank applicants accordingly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending