The Student Room Group

How much does milage matter for a car?

If you know how to check a car over for faults, then generally would it even matter what milage it done? Everything may be intact and working, but I think it just means that it's closer to breaking, but generally the lower the milage the better as everything does just burn out after a certain amount of miles.

And how many miles would you buy up to? I guess it also depends on the car, some just last longer, I was thinking up to 80,000 miles on a vauxhall corsa, they are good cars imo. Would prefer less but have to consider the price. I guess it also doesn't really matter what cheap car you get though, renault clio, vauxhall corsa etc are all roughly the same quality, whatever is at the best price IMO...
Reply 1
Original post by NullDrone
If you know how to check a car over for faults, then generally would it even matter what milage it done? Everything may be intact and working, but I think it just means that it's closer to breaking, but generally the lower the milage the better as everything does just burn out after a certain amount of miles.

And how many miles would you buy up to? I guess it also depends on the car, some just last longer, I was thinking up to 80,000 miles on a vauxhall corsa, they are good cars imo. Would prefer less but have to consider the price. I guess it also doesn't really matter what cheap car you get though, renault clio, vauxhall corsa etc are all roughly the same quality, whatever is at the best price IMO...

Yes, so long as it is regularly serviced and properly maintained the mileage doesn't matter that much. But also factor in the age... assume approx 10,000 miles per year as standard. If it's significantly more than this per year then the car might have hard a more "stressful" life
Reply 2
My first corsa was an 08 plate and it had 99,000 miles- £3k - diesel
Worked perfectly fine honestly

After I wrote that off , I bought another corsa for a bargain lol - 30,000 miles ,09 plate , £2.5k - diesel and it drives beautifully

Generally if you want a high mileage car , aim for diesel cars , petrol ones aren't as reliable imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Chez231
My first corsa was an 08 plate and it had 99,000 miles- £3k - diesel
Worked perfectly fine honestly

After I wrote that off , I bought another corsa for a bargain lol - 30,000 miles ,09 plate , £2.5k - diesel and it drives beautifully

Generally if you want a high mileage car , aim for diesel cars , petrol ones aren't as reliable imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but how much is that on the insurance on that? I'm looking for a first car so prefer to stick to the older corsa.
Reply 4
Yeah but how much is that on the insurance on that? I'm looking for a first car so prefer to stick to the older corsa.

Oh right , well it was my first car , and I wasn't the name driver , I was third on the policy , I was paying £1400

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
What do you people think of a car like this - https://www.gumtree.com/p/vauxhall/vuaxhall-corsa-sxi-1.2-quick-sale-good-runner/1186484361

It claims to have done 10100 miles, and is only £600, seems like a bargain, could be clocked though, not really sure how you would tell it was a good deal, but if you check it over, you would probably find if it were clocked, it's a bit far from me though. Lower the car cost = lower insurance also doesn't it?
Reply 6
What do you people think of a car like this - https://www.gumtree.com/p/vauxhall/vuaxhall-corsa-sxi-1.2-quick-sale-good-runner/1186484361

It claims to have done 10100 miles, and is only £600, seems like a bargain, could be clocked though, not really sure how you would tell it was a good deal, but if you check it over, you would probably find if it were clocked, it's a bit far from me though. Lower the car cost = lower insurance also doesn't it?

At that price it seems suspect, and sounds like a Cat C or D.

Also insurers are more worried about you damaging other cars and people than your own car. And old cheap cars driven by young drivers tend to have higher accident rates because the drivers don't care so much. Therefore you will probably find your insurance is cheaper if you get a more expensive car (within reason).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
You just answered your own question haha :tongue:
Original post by jneill
But also factor in the age... assume approx 10,000 miles per year as standard. If it's significantly more than this per year then the car might have hard a more "stressful" life

Possibly, but I'd sooner take a car with an average of 15k miles a year that's mostly been used to commute via motorway, that a car with a <10k average that's mostly been used around town as the wear and tear isn't going to be nice and the mileage:service interval ratio might not tell the full story there.

The milage is most probably a typo, they probably meant 100100 miles, back in March when it went for it's MOT the Odometer read 98502 miles, could be a simple mistake by the seller, but I'd check just in case, if it does read 10100 (or something that low) then it has definitely been clocked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending