The Student Room Group

PJFT for the RAF RESIT

Hey everyone, so I have my resit for the Pre Joining Fitness Test for the RAF in 2 weeks and I previously really struggled with the 2.4km/1.5m run, at the moment I run about 1.25 miles in 9minutes but I keep burning out, does anyone have any advice for getting that last little bit of distance and also to help improve recovery? Because after each time I'm very out of breath and during I feel out of breath also
Reply 1
It's a best effort attempt. You're supposed to be out of puff at the end.

(Try fartlek/interval training though, 400m in 2 mins, 400m jog recovery, 400m in 1:45, 400m jog recovery, 400m in 1:30 etc reducing the time until you are maxing out on the 400m best effort. Takes about 30 mins per session and has been used as a training programme for people struggling to get their times down (or after long leave periods for conditioning before a fitness test).
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice but unfortunately I don't have access to a track only a treadmill and gym
Original post by 1998GeorgeC
Hey everyone, so I have my resit for the Pre Joining Fitness Test for the RAF in 2 weeks and I previously really struggled with the 2.4km/1.5m run, at the moment I run about 1.25 miles in 9minutes but I keep burning out, does anyone have any advice for getting that last little bit of distance and also to help improve recovery? Because after each time I'm very out of breath and during I feel out of breath also

I don't want to sound insensitive but need to put mind over matter & push through. 0.25 of a mile is only about 402 meters; that's one more lap around something like a running track.
If I remember correctly, the time you've got to beat is 11 mins 11 seconds right? 1.25 miles in 9 mins gives you about 2 mins to cover 400 meters; that's pretty much a jogging pace. So what's stopping you seems to be mental as much as physical.
I'm assuming you're still allowed to listen to music while running on the treadmill? If so, devise a playlist which means you finish on the best running song you know of so that you sprint across the line.
When I was doing the 5k Park Runs, I always used to finish on something like Greyhound by Swedish House Mafia as it was the perfect song to pick up the pace to over the last few hundred meters.
Reply 4
I didn't realise how short 0.25 miles is 😲 And thanks for the advice ron'5 worry about being insensitive at this point it's helping more
Reply 5
Original post by 1998GeorgeC
Thanks for the advice but unfortunately I don't have access to a track only a treadmill and gym

You don't need a track, you need somewhere to run and a way of measuring distance. You can scale up or down the 400m but I wouldn't go more than +/- 100m.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest