The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nawaal123
hi

is anyone applying to the generalist fast stream and if so what do the 2 questionnaires consist of

I think it's a personality questionnaire and a situational judgement test, they give practice situational judgement questions on the website and i think i read someone on here say that the other test is a personality questionnaire x
Original post by warratz10
Is everyone just applying to one fast stream or multiple?

I'm applying to more than one to give myself a better chance x
Reply 122
Hey all,

Does anyone have any idea of when the assessment centre dates would be? (On the off chance of getting through the first stage!)
Reply 123
Has Brexit influenced/changed anyone's views on the fast stream in general or different stream choices? Would you be favourable to working in the new Brexit Department?

Also does anyone know how much choice you get in the generalist stream as to what department/roles you're put in?
This is probably a really silly question, but when visiting the generalist stream section of the fast stream website, it states that 'applications open 29 September - 30 November'. Does this mean that I could essentially start my application process in November - that you have until the end of November to register?
Original post by jlm_really
HI, Thanks for offering to help
Do you know what happens when we choose 2 areas of interest like Central Depts and Finance, we do the same online tests for both in 1 application ?
Also if you don't get the scores for 1 are you automatically out from the other as well ?

I can't say for sure (as they've changed the process and no one can fully state what all of those are) but before I'm pretty sure you did one set of online tests which covered all the schemes you applied for but the cut-off marks for each scheme would be different so you might get through on one scheme but not on another as the performance levels of people taking the test were higher and raised the bar.
Original post by Amb2490
Hey all,

Does anyone have any idea of when the assessment centre dates would be? (On the off chance of getting through the first stage!)

I don't imagine anyone could possibly tell you at this time, unless it was directly from someone working at the Fast Stream itself and even then they probably wouldn't be able to share the information. They might not even have set dates yet.

You can't even use the dates of previous years as a guide as the whole structure of the process has been revised.
Original post by rachel_b
This is probably a really silly question, but when visiting the generalist stream section of the fast stream website, it states that 'applications open 29 September - 30 November'. Does this mean that I could essentially start my application process in November - that you have until the end of November to register?

Yes, that will be the entry window. You will only be able to register and start the process between those dates. It doesn't look like it's actually available yet though, maybe it'll open at midnight tonight or something random.
Got an email saying they are now open just as I was looking at this thread lol. Good luck everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck all! I've just noticed that there's a video interview; I was under the impression it was just online assessments/E-tray and the FSAC...
Do you have to be graduated yet, or can you be in your last year of university and make the application?
It just states that you need a 2:2 degree. Is this 2:2 awarded, or 2:2 expected/projected?

I am very confused.
Original post by The Invisible Hand
Do you have to be graduated yet, or can you be in your last year of university and make the application?
It just states that you need a 2:2 degree. Is this 2:2 awarded, or 2:2 expected/projected?

I am very confused.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to have already graduated: if you search on 'Schemes I'm eligible for' it clearly says "has (*or is expecting*) a 2:2/2:1 [depending on which stream you're applying for] degree..." :smile:
Original post by g.sampson92
Good luck all! I've just noticed that there's a video interview; I was under the impression it was just online assessments/E-tray and the FSAC...

The video interview is new for this year
Original post by The Invisible Hand

I am very confused.

Yeah, I know. My brother is worried about this as he is in final year. The way they have worded it is confusing, but it has always been possible to apply from your final year of university in the past and I very much doubt this has changed.
Reply 134
Can someone clarify if I'm being stupid or not. I've just filled out the initial application but can't seem to work out how to start the online tests, are they open?
Reply 135
Original post by sajerz
Can someone clarify if I'm being stupid or not. I've just filled out the initial application but can't seem to work out how to start the online tests, are they open?

You should get an email soon, don't worry. I did it during office hours so I'm guessing that if you haven't got it yet than someone needs to approve your application first, you should hear back tomorrow at the latest.
Are there any possible disadvantages to applying to multiple (let's say 3/4+) streams?
Does anyone have any recommendations on books/websites for the situational judgement test?
Original post by Chriswuk
Are there any possible disadvantages to applying to multiple (let's say 3/4+) streams?

No. In fact, I would advise applying for all of the schemes you are interested in even if that means applying for 7/8/9/all of them. The more you apply for the better your chances.

You won't be penalised for it and once you get to the FSAC they aren't aware of what schemes you have applied for. Each scheme also has a separate pass/fail mark at the online and FSAC stages.

I am a current Commercial Fast Streamer and applied last year for multiple schemes. I passed the online tests for Commercial and Finance but failed Generalist and another. I then passed my FSAC for both Commercial and Finance. At this stage I was assigned to the Commercial scheme as I set it as my first choice.
Original post by bj_945
I found out - looks like both the verbal reasoning and maths tests have gone. Behavioural and Situational Judgment tests remain.

Can't decide whether this is a good thing or not at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending