The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm using cloudlearn at the moment and it's pretty good
Reply 2
Original post by FNugent
I'm using cloudlearn at the moment and it's pretty good

Hello FNugent,
Thankyou for replying. I have checked out cloudlearn. Are you doing bio and chemistry as well? I am doing bio and chemistry in 1 year (fast track), are you also doing the same? Does cloudlearn help you to cover all portions in a year?
Reply 3
Original post by Mini101
Hello FNugent,
Thankyou for replying. I have checked out cloudlearn. Are you doing bio and chemistry as well? I am doing bio and chemistry in 1 year (fast track), are you also doing the same? Does cloudlearn help you to cover all portions in a year?

I am doing psychology and from what I understand, yes you can cover everything in a year but I contacted the person who was going to be my tutor first to confirm this so maybe you should too
Reply 4
Original post by FNugent
I am doing psychology and from what I understand, yes you can cover everything in a year but I contacted the person who was going to be my tutor first to confirm this so maybe you should too

Oh I see. So did you contact your tutor by email? And did you get his/her contact info. after you bought the course?
Just one more question.... when you had bought the course, were all the lessons already uploaded or did it get uploaded after a week or so?
Oh and thank you so much for all the guidance and support you have provided! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Mini101
Oh I see. So did you contact your tutor by email? And did you get his/her contact info. after you bought the course?
Just one more question.... when you had bought the course, were all the lessons already uploaded or did it get uploaded after a week or so?
Oh and thank you so much for all the guidance and support you have provided! :biggrin:

They gave me their phone number I think when I made my account but before I bought the course. The lessons/topics are all there already which is useful as you can go your own pace.
No problem and good luck to you!

Also the website has got really good reviews and so far I've found it helpful as imo the design of the course is really simple and easy to learn from. I do however have a private tutor as well as doing the online course so my situation may be a bit different to yours
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by FNugent
They gave me their phone number I think when I made my account but before I bought the course. The lessons/topics are all there already which is useful as you can go your own pace.
No problem and good luck to you!

Also the website has got really good reviews and so far I've found it helpful as imo the design of the course is really simple and easy to learn from. I do however have a private tutor as well as doing the online course so my situation may be a bit different to yours

That's great! Has the psychology syllabus also changed for the 2017 or 2018 examinations? Because it has changed for biology and chemistry. If it has changed, ie: for psychology, have they, at cloudlearn, updated the content to match the syllabus?
Thank you once again. I'm so sorry I keep asking questions, it's just I really want to know if the course is good, if it can support me and if it is worth around £650. :smile:
Places you can do fast-track A levels:
Cloudlearn
NEC
Pembrokeshire College
Wolsey Hall Oxford
UK Open College
Reply 8
Original post by Mini101
That's great! Has the psychology syllabus also changed for the 2017 or 2018 examinations? Because it has changed for biology and chemistry. If it has changed, ie: for psychology, have they, at cloudlearn, updated the content to match the syllabus?
Thank you once again. I'm so sorry I keep asking questions, it's just I really want to know if the course is good, if it can support me and if it is worth around £650. :smile:

The psychology syllabus has changed and cloudlearn have updated the content.
Please ask me all the questions you want and I will happily answer them :smile:
Tbh I only just started the course so I'm not in a particularly good position to tell you if it's worth it but for me so far so good. Imo i would also get the textbooks for your subjects which is what I'm doing since I'm not sure cloudlearn on its own will be able to get you the top grades. If you type in cloudlearn reviews on google there's a website that tells you a ton of reviews which is really helpful. Good luck!
Reply 9
Hi I can't help you with providers but just a few tips.

Contact local exam centres/6th forms/colleges ASAP to double-check where you can actually sit the exams you need to as an external candidate.*

If you are doing your A-Levels with the intention to go onto a degree, e-mail the course providers you are interested in to see what their policy on the Practical Element is - your Practical Element isn't graded, just a complete/incomplete status. Some science degrees don't consider the Practical Element necessary for admission (though you still need to explore the theories behind the practicals, as they will come up on your exams and aren't taught formally), but others (such as Medicine) do need you to complete the Practical Element. And to do this you need to again buddy up with a 6th form/college to go in and do the experiments with their pupils.

All the best*
PS completely agree with the recommendation above to get the official textbooks. They are costly, but you can flog them back to Blackwell's when you're done. Also go onto the examining body website (AQA, Edexcel whoever) & download the official syllabus, so that you can go through criterion by criterion to make sure you're covering everything.*
Reply 11
Original post by FNugent
The psychology syllabus has changed and cloudlearn have updated the content.
Please ask me all the questions you want and I will happily answer them :smile:
Tbh I only just started the course so I'm not in a particularly good position to tell you if it's worth it but for me so far so good. Imo i would also get the textbooks for your subjects which is what I'm doing since I'm not sure cloudlearn on its own will be able to get you the top grades. If you type in cloudlearn reviews on google there's a website that tells you a ton of reviews which is really helpful. Good luck!

Yes FNugent, I am using the textbooks... I thought I might buy a course to do it side by side that way it will help me understand better. As a matter of fact, I found out today that the syllabus has not changed for us... So I am a little worried as the course content like you said has been updated. :frown:
But thank you so much for helping me out. And I will surely check the reviews.
Reply 12
Original post by Fleuves
PS completely agree with the recommendation above to get the official textbooks. They are costly, but you can flog them back to Blackwell's when you're done. Also go onto the examining body website (AQA, Edexcel whoever) & download the official syllabus, so that you can go through criterion by criterion to make sure you're covering everything.*

Hello there!
Yes I do use the syllabus along with the textbooks. Could you please tell me what the practical element is? And how important is it for biology and chemistry A levels?
Original post by Mini101
Hello there!
Yes I do use the syllabus along with the textbooks. Could you please tell me what the practical element is? And how important is it for biology and chemistry A levels?

The practical element is a range of practical experiments you do and you produce/complete lab reports in order to get to grips with designing and carrying out scientific experiments and commenting on the data you find. It's something only in Bio/Chem/Physics A-Levels.

It makes no difference to the grade you will come out with and it's not mandatory, particularly for distance learners. But if you intend to use your A-Levels to apply for a degree then you need to comb through to see if the universities of your choosing require it for the degree you're interested in. Because of the new structure of the courses the universities may not have updated their entry requirement pages to reflect what they want - it's best to e-mail them. I would introduce myself in the e-mail as a distance-learner and query whether the ungraded practical element is essential for application to xdegree.

For Medicine it is because it's the great bastion of elimination but I don't know about other science courses. *
If you are a distance learner then the NEC is now able to offer the Practical Endorsement to their students through their partner centre in Coventry, but it would be at an additional cost to the course.
Reply 15
Original post by National Extension College
If you are a distance learner then the NEC is now able to offer the Practical Endorsement to their students through their partner centre in Coventry, but it would be at an additional cost to the course.

Thank you for letting me know about the practical endorsement courses, national extension college.
However, I will be writing the alternative to practical paper, instead of carrying out the experiments.
Do you still offer online fast track courses for the theory part of the syllabus (for bio and chem)? Could you please provide a web address to your site?
Thank you very much.
I'm currently doing IGCSE english through absorb online learning (which uses cloudlearn) and French AS through oxford open learning. I was planning on doing the full A2 but I had an exam clash at a different centre and the exams officer at the centre was less than helpful. Oxford open learning does allow you to do a fast-track a level as they measure in hours of self-study not months of self-study. I do have tutor contact details for both, but oxford open learning seems more involved as I received an introductory phone call from both the course providers and the tutor themselves. The only issue I had was finding an exam centre, so you may need to call around and be prepared for centres to refuse. I was lucky that I found a local exam centre with a contract to take on Oxford Open Learning candidates for any subject :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Siannyallen
I'm currently doing IGCSE english through absorb online learning (which uses cloudlearn) and French AS through oxford open learning. I was planning on doing the full A2 but I had an exam clash at a different centre and the exams officer at the centre was less than helpful. Oxford open learning does allow you to do a fast-track a level as they measure in hours of self-study not months of self-study. I do have tutor contact details for both, but oxford open learning seems more involved as I received an introductory phone call from both the course providers and the tutor themselves. The only issue I had was finding an exam centre, so you may need to call around and be prepared for centres to refuse. I was lucky that I found a local exam centre with a contract to take on Oxford Open Learning candidates for any subject :smile:

Thank you for replying to this thread. Did you receive the contact details of your tutor and course provider by email after you had bought the course?
So, the 2 course providers you recommend are absorb online learning and Oxford open learning, right? They both provide online courses, right?
Original post by Mini101
Thank you for replying to this thread. Did you receive the contact details of your tutor and course provider by email after you had bought the course?
So, the 2 course providers you recommend are absorb online learning and Oxford open learning, right? They both provide online courses, right?

I was actually out of the house when my parents signed up to both on my behalf, but I got log in details for cloudlearn immediately from absorb online learning, which shows you how to contact your tutor and is online. I can't find the site that I actually applied to Oxford open learning from, which says the hours of self study, but i remember it was approximately 700 hours for a full A level. I then received a phone call from them confirming any course details. Oxford open learning is actually a distance learning provider instead of an online learning provider, so all of the course materials and details were sent through a tracked postal service and took about 4 days to arrive in the end (there were delays sending it but that was due to me having to sort out whether I was able to do the full A level). The package also included a letter from the tutor, who phoned that evening.

If you want to do an A level in a year, I'm not sure if absorb online learning still offer that, but I know they used to. Oxford open learning does have the option to do an A level in a year. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Siannyallen
I was actually out of the house when my parents signed up to both on my behalf, but I got log in details for cloudlearn immediately from absorb online learning, which shows you how to contact your tutor and is online. I can't find the site that I actually applied to Oxford open learning from, which says the hours of self study, but i remember it was approximately 700 hours for a full A level. I then received a phone call from them confirming any course details. Oxford open learning is actually a distance learning provider instead of an online learning provider, so all of the course materials and details were sent through a tracked postal service and took about 4 days to arrive in the end (there were delays sending it but that was due to me having to sort out whether I was able to do the full A level). The package also included a letter from the tutor, who phoned that evening.

If you want to do an A level in a year, I'm not sure if absorb online learning still offer that, but I know they used to. Oxford open learning does have the option to do an A level in a year. Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much for all the help. I will see what I can do. I will check out the courses that you have mentioned and see what happens.
I am so grateful for all the help you've given me. :biggrin:

Latest