The Student Room Group

I'm a fresher and beginning to panic!!

I've just started uni and already have important assignments, the first is to write a chapter review as a part of the module i'm doing in Modern culture(cultural studies). I've never done this before and little guidance has been given on how to do this. I've already tried to figure out what the text is saying and start planning but I just feel like i'm not getting it and it's due in 2 weeks.
Reply 1
Just read the text you're given and organise your work over the next two weeks so you don't cram it the last day.
If you feel really stuck make an appointment to see someone at Uni who will be able to help point you in the right direction [I'm not at Uni but I understand they have support for things like this].
lets switch courses
One of the purposes of the first year is for you to learn by buggering things up. Do it how you think you should and take heed of any feedback.
Original post by jess888
I've just started uni and already have important assignments, the first is to write a chapter review as a part of the module i'm doing in Modern culture(cultural studies). I've never done this before and little guidance has been given on how to do this. I've already tried to figure out what the text is saying and start planning but I just feel like i'm not getting it and it's due in 2 weeks.

Isnt a chapter review just a bunch of notes of what it says?
Dont worry forst assignments arent that important.

2 weeks is more than enough. Just make notes and then keep summarising it.
Follow the main points and themes through. The additional but of review hints at inputting your own thoughts and comments about it.

You must have done this a zillion times for A level.

You cna always e-mail your tutor with an essay plan to see if you are along the right lines. You should be though.
Reply 6
Original post by jess888

as far as I'm aware you can visit students union and ask for assistance (not sure whether it was SU or something different but there is a place you can certainly go to if you struggle with work), other than that I would ask your tutor
Original post by jess888

Hello,

If you feel as though you are struggling that much - talk to your lecturers. You are allowed to approach them and ask them for guidance. You don't have to suffer alone, they will give you that push in the right direction.

Good luck!
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello,

If you feel as though you are struggling that much - talk to your lecturers. You are allowed to approach them and ask them for guidance. You don't have to suffer alone, they will give you that push in the right direction.

Good luck!

yeah I did that every assignment in my final year it really helped even if the lecturer did mark it unfairly low but i got the extra 30% I felt I deserved through external moderation so all turned out ok in the end.
Original post by jess888

Step 1 - Don't panic !

Panicking won't help and will simply add to your stress.

Two weeks is good enough time. You might encounter times when you will have to complete an essay in less than 2 days!

Talk to your tutor. Most tutors are helpful and happy to help. Some universities also provide research assistants who will help you work on your assignments. If you have a guide or mentor, he is the person to talk to. Sometimes working with friends helps speed things up.

Don't procrastinate anymore. And when you start working on the essay, breakdown the assignment question to understand it completely. Make notes on the topic and start with an outline. Get your subheadings ready so that it is easier to fill in the body. Leave the introduction and conclusion for the last. Make sure to reference all relevant points.

And if nothing works, ask for an extension. This will give you some extra time on hands and you can plan better...hopefully!
Reply 10
Just talk with the teacher for that module. Ask them for help after the lesson explaining you've never done this before and don't know where to start. They will either try to explain it or give you sources for where to find the information.

You could also email them and ask about it or ask if you could see them some time for like 15min so that they could explain it to you and make sure you understand

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending