The Student Room Group

Not made friends at uni

Really panicking because i've not made many friends on my course yet apart from this one girl. I've made friends with my flatmates and that's about it, they all seem to have friends on their courses. I've joined a few socities but i dont know when they have socials and dont want to go on my own
You'll have to bite the bullet, I'm afraid, when it comes to attending socials on your own. I know for some people it's difficult, trust me I know, but sometimes you just have to put yourself out there and overcome your fears. It's how I combat mine.

Keep talking to people on your course, add them on FB as soon as you find out their name, and get involved with the societies...maybe take up some additional responsibilities that put you in contact with people. The more exposure, the better. :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you xx
Original post by Anonymous
Really panicking because i've not made many friends on my course yet apart from this one girl. I've made friends with my flatmates and that's about it, they all seem to have friends on their courses. I've joined a few socities but i dont know when they have socials and dont want to go on my own

Just strike up conversations people are open for the first few weeks. Sit next to interesting people.

Smile a lot.

Wait for the societies and you will soon start recognising people round campus.

Go on your own or use it as an opportunity to invite others? there might be other people who are wary fo going on their own.

You could always advertise on the uni / su intranet i,e fresher interested in amking more friends . Get out of your comfort zone and make the effort, then as soon as you get one then you get more.
you dont need friends ..your not there to make friends your there to work thats what I've realised cos I havent got any friends at university either..theres just no one like me out there and I just keep myself to myself
Everyone is so scared about making friends at the beginning of university, don't worry. Go to one social on your own, if you hate it then you can just leave but you should try it at least once. Just talk to random people if you're with them, ask them what they're studying and find things in common. People will probably be glad you're talking because they're just as nervous. People tend to stick to their own little groups at the start of university but they'll spread out once they're settled in. Don't sweat it :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by bellalalaxo
Everyone is so scared about making friends at the beginning of university, don't worry. Go to one social on your own, if you hate it then you can just leave but you should try it at least once. Just talk to random people if you're with them, ask them what they're studying and find things in common. People will probably be glad you're talking because they're just as nervous. People tend to stick to their own little groups at the start of university but they'll spread out once they're settled in. Don't sweat it :smile:

So reassuring, thank you!! X
Say hi to people. Like when entering your block and you see people standing outside, strike a conversation with them. Go to societies like sports teams yourself and you will meet people. Invite people to your flat for like predrinks maybe? Tell friends to bring there friends.

Everybody is looking for someone
Original post by Anonymous

You have to go and approach people. This is not easy I know, I've been there and done that.Why not go out with your flatmates or tag along with them? Ask them if you can come along and be interested in the other people.

Smile, say hi to people, be charming, be interested in them, be relaxed and confident.

Its good that you have joined societies, try to go every time and introduce yourself, be friendly, amicable, be interested in them, ask about them. The next time you see them, ask how was that, how is their course going etc.

You could meet people from your course, ask in tutorials or lectures how they found the course, why they decided to study this or what's their opinion on the topic and then shake hands, introduce yourself.

You could also participate in voluntary activities from your uni which you could meet someone from that.

If you ever need to talk, feel free to PM me :smile:.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending