The Student Room Group

What would you expect your school to do if they forgot to submit c/w to board ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by gdunne42
All I would expect is that your school would apologise and provide a free resit in November if it is English/maths or in the summer if not.
The U.K. Is not a USA style compensation culture and you would be hard pressed to find any solicitor/lawyer to take your case if you tried to press for compensation.
There are very few universities that don't accept resits and if you already had a coursework mark that was re-used then you were surely doing a resit anyway. Most universities will make an offer that includes a condition of achieving a specific GCSE grade if required. What GCSE subject , what course and where are you hoping to apply that you think they won't ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou for your valuable and astute contribution.
Indeed it was a resit, because of illness during the day of the exam last year, and had I left it at that, the mark could have been mitigated.
Sadly, of the theee unis I am able to apply to for my career path, one a least, does not accept resits.
Yes, the UK is not as litigious as the US, however I was unable to find a lawyer, because they were all busy being litigious post result day. English is a very important subject, especially to medical school, who have many applicants that do not apply with issues.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Theplace
What damages would you expect the school to pay.
Can't get an offer with less than a B.

well when that happened to my class here's what they did
they denied the class even took place at all as there was no evidence to prove anything
as for damages, I haven't laughed that hard since I went to a KBW gig
Reply 22
Original post by jamesthehustler
well when that happened to my class here's what they did
they denied the class even took place at all as there was no evidence to prove anything
as for damages, I haven't laughed that hard since I went to a KBW gig

They entered the correct coursework mark to the exam board on a separate sheet, and the coursework in in e school locked away safely. Then school has admitted liability in writing.
I thought those on TSR would comprehend the rramifications of this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sue the S out of them
they have one job and they failed to do so. I would also make sure they apologise to all of the universities I am applying for
Making sure they predict me an A* in the subject
and pay me for their failure.
Reply 24
Original post by samantham999
Sue the S out of them
they have one job and they failed to do so. I would also make sure they apologise to all of the universities I am applying for

Finally....thankyou!
Reply 25
Sue the S out of them

Can you calculate the future financial damages?
With respect, why did you come and ask the question if the only answer you are willing to accept is the one which affirms the view which you already have? What do you gain if that's all you take away from this thread?

Your school made a mistake, and that's had an effect on you. Clearly that's a mitigating circumstance outside of your control, so could you not put it on an extenuating circumstances form/phone the university and explain? They might be able to make an exception for you in light of the circumstances. Of course they might not, but if you don't ask the answer is always no.

Good luck with whatever you do! :smile:
Can you calculate the future financial damages?

My calculations would as followed
coursework at an exam centre costs £80 to sit so they need to pay £80 plus the entire A level that they screwed up because obviously not submitting my coursework made my grade lower.
I would then make them pay the Ucas fee because they jeopardised my future.
I would then make them enter me for scholarships
I would then ruin the schools reputation/college as they ruined mine when I applied to university

Total: £400+ scholarships
Reply 28
My calculations would as followed
coursework at an exam centre costs £80 to sit so they need to pay £80 plus the entire A level that they screwed up because obviously not submitting my coursework made my grade lower.
I would then make them pay the Ucas fee because they jeopardised my future.
I would then make them enter me for scholarships
I would then ruin the schools reputation/college as they ruined mine when I applied to university

Total: £400+ scholarships

It was IGCSE English.
I need that grade to apply for scholarships, so they have cost me thst as well as places at my unis, since I now don't meet their requirements,
I like your thinks, but it would be more than £400, since I now hove to go a different route and it's an expensive one,
It was IGCSE English.
I need that grade to apply for scholarships, so they have cost me thst as well as places at my unis, since I now don't meet their requirements,
I like your thinks, but it would be more than £400, since I now hove to go a different route and it's an expensive one,

Email the universities you want to go to? or resit the igcse?
Reply 30
Email the universities you want to go to? or resit the igcse?

Doing both, however the unis are very competitive.
Original post by SummerStrawberry
With respect, why did you come and ask the question if the only answer you are willing to accept is the one which affirms the view which you already have? What do you gain if that's all you take away from this thread?

Your school made a mistake, and that's had an effect on you. Clearly that's a mitigating circumstance outside of your control, so could you not put it on an extenuating circumstances form/phone the university and explain? They might be able to make an exception for you in light of the circumstances. Of course they might not, but if you don't ask the answer is always no.

Good luck with whatever you do! :smile:

I really do have to agree. You're coming across as literally just being on here to find other people who think you deserve compensation. Because I'm not being funny but in what world would they start predicting A*'s if they're unmerited.

And the 'pay me for their failure' isn't going to happen, if you think £400 is not enough I imagine you have a large, probably rather unrealistic figure in mind?
Doing both, however the unis are very competitive.

You are getting yourself worked up about nothing, annoying as it is that the school have made this mistake. However, competitive universities don't like resits where people are trying to take an extra opportunity to improve their academic ability, when they can't get good enough grades in the standard timescale. Your situation is quite different, as you got the wrong grade through an administrative error. So long as the school explain this, your 'resit' won't count against you.
Reply 33
Original post by caitlynm
I really do have to agree. You're coming across as literally just being on here to find other people who think you deserve compensation. Because I'm not being funny but in what world would they start predicting A*'s if they're unmerited.

And the 'pay me for their failure' isn't going to happen, if you think £400 is not enough I imagine you have a large, probably rather unrealistic figure in mind?

Who said anything about predicting A*?
The coursework wa near perfect and the mark awarded, it just didn't make it to the final grade, due to the school's incompetence.

How's is £400 going to cover at least two years at a college, which is the route I will now have to go before uni?
Reply 34
Original post by threeportdrift
You are getting yourself worked up about nothing, annoying as it is that the school have made this mistake. However, competitive universities don't like resits where people are trying to take an extra opportunity to improve their academic ability, when they can't get good enough grades in the standard timescale. Your situation is quite different, as you got the wrong grade through an administrative error. So long as the school explain this, your 'resit' won't count against you.

Thankyou. Except unis I am applying to don't read references and mitigatings until later. You need the basic requirements to get to that point.
Thankyou. Except unis I am applying to don't read references and mitigatings until later. You need the basic requirements to get to that point.

How do you know that - have you sat through the admissions process? I have sat through the admissions processes at several Unis and can assure you this is not true. They read the whole application, and then start the assessment of the whole package of information. There is no threshold of basic requirements where applications get cut.
Qualifications are possessions. This is theft. Theft of a grade or two, theft of an good uni education and theft of a career. Of course it is tangible. Plus distress.

It is not theft.

Rest of advice is a waste of time as the OP isnt interested in advice, just airing his grievance.
(edited 7 years ago)
It was IGCSE English.

It's a gcse you are talking about and not an A level......

You think that cost you your uni place? Your claim just became a whole lot harder.
Reply 38
Original post by threeportdrift
How do you know that - have you sat through the admissions process? I have sat through the admissions processes at several Unis and can assure you this is not true. They read the whole application, and then start the assessment of the whole package of information. There is no threshold of basic requirements where applications get cut.

Thankyou, How fascinating that you didt that.
I have to meet the minimum retirements and if not, the application is not considered further.
Thankyou, How fascinating that you didt that.
I have to meet the minimum retirements and if not, the application is not considered further.

Which University, because that is simply not true when you have something like your situation involved.

Quick Reply

Latest