The Student Room Group

How can we improve TSR?

Scroll to see replies

Keep only the study help, uni life and application query forums. This prevents TSR from being an alternative social media outlet or procrastination tool. But then again TSR needs the money from ads i.e. visits to their websites
Reply 41
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
A private backroom already existed for subscribers and it was scrapped because really nasty stuff/bullying went on in there. And this was when there were only around a dozen people using it. It would be impossible and impractical to create one for a much larger member base as it wouldn't be able to be moderated and would undoubtedly descend into utter chaos.

Exactly :u:

Hmm, I wonder how popular my ideas are. Not very, I bet. But I think they'd be good for TSR. :h:

Remove the Chat forum, or stop posts and rep points in Chat from counting towards user post and rep counts. That might actually encourage Chat users to post in other parts of TSR.

Give the university and career sections a more prominent place in the forum list. Move Forum Games back to the bottom of the list.

Put a size limit on signatures.

Sort out the reputation system. I didn't like neg, but the current system is nearly as bad as the old one. I see really helpful people who spend hours answering questions each week with 2 or 3 gems, and people who post nothing but memes with 9+ gems. That isn't right.

Original post by Zuki
More gems = more privileges, i.e. Name colour change, private forums etc

No, please don't do this. Having a colour username is the only sub-feature left. I paid for this coloured username, why should people who didn't get one? :frown:
Original post by Captain Jack
Is there anything we can do that will make TSR easier for you to use?

Tell me EVERYTHING

I don't mind the ads just make the format more accessible like a social media site. Also the app on the phone could be a bit updated tbh. Just give it a modern look. This isn't a demand, it's a request. Lol. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Snufkin
, and people who post nothing but memes with 9+ gems. That isn't right.

Reply 45
Some vandal came onto the site a little while ago, wrecked the search function, boasted about it on here, and then just left it. It's still broken. Someone needs to fix it to the standard it used to be. And ban the vandal from ever coming back.
Original post by Nuba123
I don't mind the ads just make the format more accessible like a social media site. Also the app on the phone could be a bit updated tbh. Just give it a modern look. This isn't a demand, it's a request. Lol. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Regarding the app, we have a new one being built now. The first part of it, the forums, are almost ready for October.
Agreed, TSR is dead without banter
Original post by Snufkin
x

How much did you pay to get a coloured username and where do you pay this?
A coloured username was a perk of TSR Subscription (they don't sell it anymore). It cost £6.99 a month or £40 for a year.
Original post by Snufkin
Hmm, I wonder how popular my ideas are. Not very, I bet. But I think they'd be good for TSR. :h:

Remove the Chat forum, or stop posts and rep points in Chat from counting towards user post and rep counts. That might actually encourage Chat users to post in other parts of TSR.

Give the university and career sections a more prominent place in the forum list. Move Forum Games back to the bottom of the list.

Put a size limit on signatures

.No, please don't do this. Having a colour username is the only sub-feature left. I paid for this coloured username, why should people who didn't get one? :frown:

I agree with all of these points.
I used to advocate removal of 'Chat', but TSR will never do it because it's what keeps people here. Which is a shame. I definitely agree with reps not counting in chat. I believe there should not be an anon feature for every section of the forum, it's abused too much. I think it should ONLY be used for the health thread, NOT relationships.

Bring back neg rep. If you neg rep somebody, your name will appear just as positive rep does. Flaming somebody for neg repping you would be against the rules and could be reported. If you take offence to a neg rep, grow up :smile:

One + rep, One - rep per day. This would encourage users to use it wisely.

Chat should not appear on the homepage/trending. I'd like to see a way of tailoring TSR to what interests you. For example, I don't want to see intrusive pop up ads talking about GCSE and A levels. Nor do I want to see GCSE RESULTS MEGATHREAD in trending. Let me decide what I want to see.

More engagement from TSR staff. Contribute to threads other than your own would be good. Not be as neutral/politically correct, post what you really think. Get involved in the monster you helped create :wink:
Original post by Snufkin
A coloured username was a perk of TSR Subscription (they don't sell it anymore). It cost £6.99 a month or £40 for a year.

What else did they offer?
iEthan I bet you're itching to move this to TSR ideas/feedback :colone:
Gifs as avatars, access to extra study features and resources and also to a private chat room. Subscribers were also the only ones who could see who had repped them until it was made public to everyone.
Original post by hezzlington
I agree with all of these points.
I used to advocate removal of 'Chat', but TSR will never do it because it's what keeps people here. Which is a shame. I definitely agree with reps not counting in chat. I believe there should not be an anon feature for every section of the forum, it's abused too much. I think it should ONLY be used for the health thread, NOT relationships.

Why not in relationships? Or forums like Medicine where given the GMC are now posting, people will want to anonymously ask questions?*

Bring back neg rep. If you neg rep somebody, your name will appear just as positive rep does. Flaming somebody for neg repping you would be against the rules and could be reported. If you take offence to a neg rep, grow up :smile:

One + rep, One - rep per day. This would encourage users to use it wisely.

It was against the rules before, but it didn't really do much iirc.*

I'd like to see a way of tailoring TSR to what interests you. For example, I don't want to see intrusive pop up ads talking about GCSE and A levels. Nor do I want to see GCSE RESULTS MEGATHREAD in trending. Let me decide what I want to see.

I too would love to be able to taylor threads.

More engagement from TSR staff. Contribute to threads other than your own would be good. Not be as neutral/politically correct, post what you really think. Get involved in the monster you helped create :wink:

We do post what we really think. Within rules, of course.*
Gifs as avatars, access to extra study features and resources and also to a private chat room. Subscribers were also the only ones who could see who had repped them until it was made public to everyone.

Hola, como estas! yo estudio espanol

Teach man some Spanish!

I have a dream of going Colombia!!!
A way to deactivate our accounts, be more harsh on bad troll accounts because the current system clearly isn't working :wink:
The competitions are good especially the ones with amazon vouchers. Get someone to grobel more decent prizes from sponsors of things people would find useful.

Is this still available? Damn I want to be subscriber now
Original post by usycool1
Why not in relationships? Or forums like Medicine where given the GMC are now posting, people will want to anonymously ask questions?*

It was against the rules before, but it didn't really do much iirc.*

I too would love to be able to taylor threads.

We do post what we really think. Within rules, of course.*

the last one was aimed at CT.

Quick Reply

Latest