The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine A100 2017 entry applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dwightkurtshrute
OK Thanks I will bear all of that in mind! It is definitely good to 'apply smart' to maximise your chances so perhaps I will explore other options. Liverpool is one of the only UK cities ive managed to visit and I quite liked it ahah. Edinburgh would be the best, but apparently its quite expensive. Birmingham and Glasgow are my other hopeful options currently. Thanks for all your advice, if I can be any help to you let me know! Where are you applying/ have applied to? :smile:

Yes I really liked Liverpool city too, I'm applying. My UKCAT is weak but my GCSE's score full points and I'm kind of relying on my personal statement to get into med school which isn't the best position to be in. Your band 2 for Edinburgh would lose you points but your GCSEs are excellent for there!! I'm going for UEA, HYMS and considering Leicester/Keele/Aberdeen. Struggling due to my UKCAT! Thank you :smile:
Hi,

I am definitely applying, my stats:
GCSE: 6A*4A
UKCAT: 670 average and SJT Band 2

Do you guys know how liverpool use the SJT ?
Reply 22
I want to apply here, do you reckon I'm okay with 4A* 6A for GCSE, A*A*A predictions and a UKCAT of 663.3? Or is UKCAT too risky?
Hey guys,
Does anyone know if an average score of 630 and a band2 are good enough for Liverpool? Pleaseee can someone reply!
Original post by Batool1997
Hey guys,
Does anyone know if an average score of 630 and a band2 are good enough for Liverpool? Pleaseee can someone reply!

Yes that score should be fine. Bare in mind they look at ps and GCSEs too!
Original post by Orangeflower6
Yes that score should be fine. Bare in mind they look at ps and GCSEs too!

Thank you for replying! Do you know if Liverpool uses a cut off score? I think my GCSEs would be fine, I was just worried about my UKCAT score.
Thank you for replying! Do you know if Liverpool uses a cut off score? I think my GCSEs would be fine, I was just worried about my UKCAT score.

Non-graduates applying to the A100 programme will need to sit UKCAT. It is expected that applicantswho achieve Band 4 in the Situational Judgement Test of the UKCAT will not have their applicationsprocessed beyond the 1st stage and of the remainder only those applicants who meet /exceed ourminimum academic criteria and who offer the most competitive overall UKCAT scores will have theirapplications proceed to the second stage. Liverpool School of Medicine used the UKCAT test for the firsttime in the 2015-16 admissions cycle. For Home/EU applicants a competitive score was considered to be2500 or greater. In 2016 UKCAT has removed the Decision Analysis subtest and will be piloting a new testof Decision Making. Neither candidates nor universities will receive a score for this subtest. For 2016only, this means that candidates and universities will receive a total cognitive scaled score for the sum ofthe three remaining cognitive sections. Candidates will continue to receive their SJT results in one of fourbands. Data, provided by the UKCAT consortium, suggests that a score of 2500 may convert to one in theregion of 1750-1870. The UKCAT threshold is determined each year on a competitive.

TLDR: Last year the cut off was below your score. (625) , this year they are suggesting it will be between 1750 and 1870.
Non-graduates applying to the A100 programme will need to sit UKCAT. It is expected that applicantswho achieve Band 4 in the Situational Judgement Test of the UKCAT will not have their applicationsprocessed beyond the 1st stage and of the remainder only those applicants who meet /exceed ourminimum academic criteria and who offer the most competitive overall UKCAT scores will have theirapplications proceed to the second stage. Liverpool School of Medicine used the UKCAT test for the firsttime in the 2015-16 admissions cycle. For Home/EU applicants a competitive score was considered to be2500 or greater. In 2016 UKCAT has removed the Decision Analysis subtest and will be piloting a new testof Decision Making. Neither candidates nor universities will receive a score for this subtest. For 2016only, this means that candidates and universities will receive a total cognitive scaled score for the sum ofthe three remaining cognitive sections. Candidates will continue to receive their SJT results in one of fourbands. Data, provided by the UKCAT consortium, suggests that a score of 2500 may convert to one in theregion of 1750-1870. The UKCAT threshold is determined each year on a competitive.

TLDR: Last year the cut off was below your score. (625) , this year they are suggesting it will be between 1750 and 1870.

I did read this on their website but I wanted to double check with someone. What if they get more applicants with higher scores, won't that skew the data and increase the cut off score? lol I sound so stupid but how do they determine the cut off before receiving any applications.
I did read this on their website but I wanted to double check with someone. What if they get more applicants with higher scores, won't that skew the data and increase the cut off score? lol I sound so stupid but how do they determine the cut off before receiving any applications.

They haven't determined the cut off, they are saying that by last years cut off that is what they are estimating it to be for this year. I think the national average will be very similar to last years. Because Liverpool go off of personal statement and put very little emphasis on UKCAT, people with higher UKCATs will generally avoid and apply to places such as Newcastle where they are guaranteed an interview. If my score was 700 I would not apply somewhere which does not favour that score and guarantee an interview. People with higher UKCATs applying to Liverpool would be more risky as they will still have their personal statement looked at heavily- you simply have to meet the cut off and its a level playing field, assessment of personal statement is subjective. Therefore, your score should be fine. If you dont have any other options which are safer its best to apply.
Hi, im going to resit my A2 exams, i achieved BBC in Chemistry, Maths and Biology respectively. I achieved 6 A's, 1 B and 1 C at GCSE, my high school isn't a good high school. Most people left with 8 to 9 GCSE's. i got 613 Band 1 in my ukcat. Would i be wise in applying hoping to get an offer to resit my exams at liverpool.
They haven't determined the cut off, they are saying that by last years cut off that is what they are estimating it to be for this year. I think the national average will be very similar to last years. Because Liverpool go off of personal statement and put very little emphasis on UKCAT, people with higher UKCATs will generally avoid and apply to places such as Newcastle where they are guaranteed an interview. If my score was 700 I would not apply somewhere which does not favour that score and guarantee an interview. People with higher UKCATs applying to Liverpool would be more risky as they will still have their personal statement looked at heavily- you simply have to meet the cut off and its a level playing field, assessment of personal statement is subjective. Therefore, your score should be fine. If you dont have any other options which are safer its best to apply.

That makes so much sense! Thank you so much and I'll definetly apply to Liverpool as I've got limited options. What other places would you consider with a score of 630? I'm currently thinking of applying to Liverpool, exeter and Cardiff.
That makes so much sense! Thank you so much and I'll definetly apply to Liverpool as I've got limited options. What other places would you consider with a score of 630? I'm currently thinking of applying to Liverpool, exeter and Cardiff.

I too have an average of 630, Band 2. My gcses are 8A*s 2As. Considering applying to Keele, Birmingham, UEA, HYMS - possibly Leicester or Liverpool or Cardiff instead of HYMS
Original post by aRandomGuy
I too have an average of 630, Band 2. My gcses are 8A*s 2As. Considering applying to Keele, Birmingham, UEA, HYMS - possibly Leicester or Liverpool or Cardiff instead of HYMS

omg we have the exact same stats! I've also got 8A*s and 2As (+ 2Bs and a C but that dosnt really count) I applied to Birmingham last year but got a post-interview rejection. I'm sure you'd be guaranteed an interview at Birmingham :smile: I think Cardiff is a good option for you stats and i was thinkig of Leicester but I'm scared I might not get an interview.
Reply 33
Hello guys. This looks like such a helpful thread. I'm not sure if I should apply to Liverpool or not. Can someone please help me??

My stats are as follows
Gcse: 6.5A* 5A
As: AABC (got c in physics. Dropped it)
A2 (achieved) : A* A* A
UKCAT: 640 average, band 2 (vr was shocking ngl)
Ps is decent. Work experience in pharmacy, shadowed doctors in hospital for a week, research lab placement, volunteered in care home, evidence of leadership/teamwork.

I'm definitely going to apply to Cardiff and Exeter, and probably Leicester. I'm not sure if I should go for Liverpool or Birmingham. Any help would be highly appreciated.
Reply 34
How do they choose applicants for interviews? Do they give u points for ur ps like they do for ur GCSE's ? And then combine both and call the highest to interview? I
Original post by KB_97
How do they choose applicants for interviews? Do they give u points for ur ps like they do for ur GCSE's ? And then combine both and call the highest to interview? I

Use Birmingham's offer calculator tool, it tells you your score - last year's cutoff for interview was 6.17.
Has anyone else noticed that on UCAS for liverpool A100 it mentions that you need to take the GAMSAT and the UKCAT. It must be a typo but it still concerns me slightly.
Reply 37
Original post by aRandomGuy
Use Birmingham's offer calculator tool, it tells you your score - last year's cutoff for interview was 6.17.

I meant Liverpool. Sorry if it wasn't clear :smile:
Original post by KB_97
Hello guys. This looks like such a helpful thread. I'm not sure if I should apply to Liverpool or not. Can someone please help me??

My stats are as follows
Gcse: 6.5A* 5A
As: AABC (got c in physics. Dropped it)
A2 (achieved) : A* A* A
UKCAT: 640 average, band 2 (vr was shocking ngl)
Ps is decent. Work experience in pharmacy, shadowed doctors in hospital for a week, research lab placement, volunteered in care home, evidence of leadership/teamwork.

I'm definitely going to apply to Cardiff and Exeter, and probably Leicester. I'm not sure if I should go for Liverpool or Birmingham. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Go for Liverpool, maybe look into UEA too? Your other 3 are very sensible options considering your achieved grades!
Reply 39
Go for Liverpool, maybe look into UEA too? Your other 3 are very sensible options considering your achieved grades!

Do you think I'd have a higher chance at Liverpool compared to Birmingham. Because I used birminghams online calculator and got 6.8333 and their cut off last year was 6.17/10. So I'm pretty much borderline. I'm clueless about Liverpools admission process. I just know that they don't rely heavily on UKCAT. what do they rely on/look at to invite for interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending