The Student Room Group

How to succeed in your AS levels, + explanation of new A level system

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheWaffle
Hi :smile: So if I take AS Further Maths in Summer 2017 under the old A level system, will I still be able to follow through and take A2 level Further Maths of the old syllabus/ system in Summer 2018 (even though that's when the new system is first examined).

Original post by NiamhM1801
Yeah you will. To do the new spec you've got to start with it, our year is the last year to sit the old one

As Niamh said, yes. The first year to do the new maths/further maths specification will be the year currently in year 11.
Original post by richpanda
As Niamh said, yes. The first year to do the new maths/further maths specification will be the year currently in year 11.

And that's us :frown:
Original post by 12hamadin
And that's us :frown:

it's not too different.
Just wondering when people say they get Ds at the start of the year do they mean like in like full papers? or end of chapter/unit papers?
Cuz like 4 people in my class got A/B and this was in physics so is this good or is it a different type of test you guys are on about
Original post by AdeptDz
Just wondering when people say they get Ds at the start of the year do they mean like in like full papers? or end of chapter/unit papers?
Cuz like 4 people in my class got A/B and this was in physics so is this good or is it a different type of test you guys are on about

Probably end of unit since that's what is happening to my class, however I've also only started Year 12 so it might be different to the norm
Original post by AdeptDz

They mean end of unit. You probably won't be able to do any full papers until past Christmas at the very earliest for some maths modules.
They mean end of unit. You probably won't be able to do any full papers until past Christmas at the very earliest for some maths modules.

Original post by extraordinaire
Probably end of unit since that's what is happening to my class, however I've also only started Year 12 so it might be different to the norm

Cool, thanks
Can't believe I've only just stumbled across this thread!! Your advice is amazing and a big well done to you on your AS grades!!! I'm really sorry if you've been asked this before but I was wondering whether you have any good tips for studying a language at A-level?? I'm doing Spanish and was just wondering whether you could suggest some good methods for getting a good grasp of grammar? I do know that fundamentally, heaps of practise and application is key but have you got any other tips for learning grammar??

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by worksmartnothard
Can't believe I've only just stumbled across this thread!! Your advice is amazing and a big well done to you on your AS grades!!! I'm really sorry if you've been asked this before but I was wondering whether you have any good tips for studying a language at A-level?? I'm doing Spanish and was just wondering whether you could suggest some good methods for getting a good grasp of grammar? I do know that fundamentally, heaps of practise and application is key but have you got any other tips for learning grammar??

Thanks in advance :smile:

No problem, I'm glad it's helped you and thanks! I did French AS level, so I know a bit. You can basically split up doing well in to 3 bits- the grammar/syntax/structure of speaking and writing and doing this fluently, knowing the key vocab you need for your specification (will be in the textbook) and additional vocab, and then your exam technique over the speaking, listening and reading.

If you want me to go in to specifics, ask away!
No problem, I'm glad it's helped you and thanks! I did French AS level, so I know a bit. You can basically split up doing well in to 3 bits- the grammar/syntax/structure of speaking and writing and doing this fluently, knowing the key vocab you need for your specification (will be in the textbook) and additional vocab, and then your exam technique over the speaking, listening and reading.

If you want me to go in to specifics, ask away!

Great, thank you!! I'm sure I'll have many questions to ask you in the near future :tongue:
Great, thank you!! I'm sure I'll have many questions to ask you in the near future :tongue:

I completely agree with your username btw :smile:
bump
I completely agree with your username btw :smile:

It's great isn't it:tongue:

(without trying to sound cocky haha)
It's great isn't it:tongue:

(without trying to sound cocky haha)

It'd the best way :smile:
Hi,

How do you get an A* grade with the new A-Levels since UMS doesn't exist anymore?
Original post by Adenine9
Hi,

How do you get an A* grade with the new A-Levels since UMS doesn't exist anymore?

I think it is literally that they will release the marks needed for an A* in each exam, then if your total mark is higher than the total mark needed for an A* added up across all the A2 papers, you get an A*
I think it is literally that they will release the marks needed for an A* in each exam, then if your total mark is higher than the total mark needed for an A* added up across all the A2 papers, you get an A*

Hi,
If you were to drop a subject at AS and you get an A/B or whatever grade you get would this have anything to do with your application to your uni's ?
Original post by nisha.sri
Hi,
If you were to drop a subject at AS and you get an A/B or whatever grade you get would this have anything to do with your application to your uni's ?

Yes absolutely. My only confusion currently is whether if you do the actual AS exam but continue with the subject is if that goes on, and I'm currently being told yes to that one too.
bump
how do you revise rich panda I'm taking chemistry and maths and psychology

Quick Reply

Latest