The Student Room Group

Applying for a course with one grade off entry requirements?

I'm planning to apply for a biomedical sciences degree this year, and I have just started my A2 year. My UCAS predicted grades exceed that of 4/5 of my university choices, all of them except Imperial college, which requires AAA, and my predicted grades are A*AB.

The B was for AS maths, and it would've been A*AA if I carried on with psychology instead of maths, but I thought that maths would be more relevant to my course so went against all advice to stick with it.

Will there be no chance of consideration from Imperial because of that B? Or will I still be able to maybe get an offer judging from my grades in Biology and Chemistry and my personal statement?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Skyliee
I'm planning to apply for a biomedical sciences degree this year, and I have just started my A2 year. My UCAS predicted grades exceed that of 4/5 of my university choices, all of them except Imperial college, which requires AAA, and my predicted grades are A*AB.

The B was for AS maths, and it would've been A*AA if I carried on with psychology instead of maths, but I thought that maths would be more relevant to my course so went against all advice to stick with it.

Will there be no chance of consideration from Imperial because of that B? Or will I still be able to maybe get an offer judging from my grades in Biology and Chemistry and my personal statement?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm no expert but what i'm assuming unless it specifies that you need an A in maths, then I reckon it should be okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think pyschology would have been more relevant. Medicine is already so competitive getting into any MED school let alone Imperial would be a massive achievement. I don't know your GCSE's or extracurricular but IMPERIAL is going to be really tough regardless of the one difference. I would usually say go for it but with medicine you only have 4 options and you don't want to get 'waste' an option if you had 5 I would say go for it
Reply 3
Original post by bhfn
I'm no expert but what i'm assuming unless it specifies that you need an A in maths, then I reckon it should be okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It specifies A in bio, A in chem, and A in another subject. For me it was maths, and I got a B in that. For Bio i got A* as predicted
Reply 4
Original post by Epistemolog y
I think pyschology would have been more relevant. Medicine is already so competitive getting into any MED school let alone Imperial would be a massive achievement. I don't know your GCSE's or extracurricular but IMPERIAL is going to be really tough regardless of the one difference. I would usually say go for it but with medicine you only have 4 options and you don't want to get 'waste' an option if you had 5 I would say go for it

I'm applying for Biomedical science, not Medicine. It's true that Imperial will be tough, though. My guidance counsellor says my personal statement is good enough, but I just noticed the drop in grades
Original post by Skyliee
I'm applying for Biomedical science, not Medicine. It's true that Imperial will be tough, though. My guidance counsellor says my personal statement is good enough, but I just noticed the drop in grades

oh sorry I seem to be getting into a bad habit of misreading. Well your counsellor would know best I guess you know best and those grades are pretty good. I say give it a go but have a good mix of universities. I know of people who got offers from Birmingham a respected rusell group university with grades CCCC for an AAB course so yh... He did have stellar references though and good enough predicted grades
you should be fine.
Reply 7
Original post by Epistemolog y
oh sorry I seem to be getting into a bad habit of misreading. Well your counsellor would know best I guess you know best and those grades are pretty good. I say give it a go but have a good mix of universities. I know of people who got offers from Birmingham a respected rusell group university with grades CCCC for an AAB course so yh... He did have stellar references though and good enough predicted grades

Haha I hope, it's just that so many people applying must have grades better than mine.
I hope my personal statement can be enough to be a deciding factor, especially since I'm applying for deferred entry!
Reply 8
Original post by KnowledgeIsBest
you should be fine.

You think? I'm just pretty scared :frown: thanks though!
To be honest as long as ur application goes out earlier than most ur fine. theyre more generous earlier on. Also A*AB is barely different to AAA so i wouldnt worry.
It's a tad harder for someone like me, im hoping to go one grade lower in exhcange for AS Further maths when they dont ask for it XD
Contact Imperial and ask. They could always give you the standard offer if they are impreed by your personal statement and that will require you to raise your game slightly. They know a lot of preducted grades are exaggerated and you still have to get them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending