The Student Room Group

feminists

Scroll to see replies

Original post by honey55497
what makes you say that are you against men and women being equal ?

I never said that, I am not against it I do believe that men and women should be treated equally, for instance the pay gap between men and women should be almost non existent I just genuinely think that people take it too far and complain too much. I mean Emma Watson complained about being called bossy at 8 years old, just let it go lol.
Feminism is cancer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, equality among gender sounds pretty good to me? lmao
Reply 63
No point having his debate until 3rd wave feminists are willing to sit down at the table and hear out those who criticise the movement without dismissing them as ignorant or stupid or misogynistic or basement-dwelling.

Worst of all is just saying that it is their opinion and leaving it at that. Guess what, truth-claims by definition are not relative, and mutually exclusive truth-claims cannot all stand, if its not a substantiated truth claim you don't get to call it an opinion and leave it there, you ask them to substantiate it and if they cannot, you declare it invalid. Saying an unsubstantiated truth-claim is a fair opinion gives it too much credit, and saying a substantiated truth-claim is just an opinion gives it too little. Telling someone its just their opinion is a nice, politically correct way of being lazy.

Here's the funny part though, at some point 3rd wave feminists are going to have to sit down properly at the table, because as a movement proposing some kind of social reform (ostensibly gender equality), they're going to need to get everyone on board to make progress, they can't afford to have large groups of people thinking they're a joke - which is what the increasingly popularised alt-right movement sees them as (e.g. Milo Yiannopolous), and what more mainstream conservative groups are beginning to consider them (e.g. Ben Shapiro). The onus is on them to make their arguments, and its not just a philosophical onus, its a practical one.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mr Quack
No point having his debate until 3rd wave feminists are willing to sit down at the table and hear out those who criticise the movement without dismissing them as ignorant or stupid or misogynistic or basement-dwelling.

Worst of all is just saying that it is their opinion and leaving it at that. Guess what, truth-claims by definition are not relative, and mutually exclusive truth-claims cannot all stand, if its not a substantiated truth claim you don't get to call it an opinion and leave it there, you ask them to substantiate it and if they cannot, you declare it invalid. Saying an unsubstantiated truth-claim is a fair opinion gives it too much credit, and saying a substantiated truth-claim is just an opinion gives it too little. Telling someone its just their opinion is a nice, politically correct way of being lazy.

Here's the funny part though, at some point 3rd wave feminists are going to have to sit down properly at the table, because as a movement proposing some kind of social reform (ostensibly gender equality), they're going to need to get everyone on board to make progress, they can't afford to have large groups of people thinking they're a joke - which is what the increasingly popularised alt-right movement sees them as (e.g. Milo Yiannopolous), and what more mainstream conservative groups are beginning to consider them (e.g. Ben Shapiro). The onus is on them to make their arguments, and its not just a philosophical onus, its a practical one.

Sorry but who cares about the alt-right? They are a bunch of mostly white males crying that their privileges are being eroded. It is also primarily an internet phenomenon (or rather its gains in popularity have come about because of online messaging boards and news outlets) as people are much more likely to show their ugly side on the internet.
Original post by Yoloinator
I disagree, they are more like white nationalists that proud of their racial heritage just as black people are in Black Lives Matter. "Privileges" are too vague.

Yes, those two groups are exactly the same in their agenda with only skin color differing.

:rolleyes:
Original post by Mr Quack

Here's the funny part though, at some point 3rd wave feminists are going to have to sit down properly at the table,
because as a movement proposing some kind of social reform (ostensibly gender equality), they're going to need to get everyone on board to make progress, they can't afford to have large groups of people thinking they're a joke - which is what the increasingly popularised alt-right movement sees them as (e.g. Milo Yiannopolous), and what more mainstream conservative groups are beginning to consider them (e.g. Ben Shapiro). The onus is on them to make their arguments, and its not just a philosophical onus, its a practical one.

what worries me at the moment is that this simply isn't going to happen. its not just feminism that's affected; from where I'm sitting it feels like almost the entirety of left wing politics has been hijacked by people who just don't seem able to consider that they may be wrong, and instead choose to radiate self righteous moral outrage and not bother to justify what they say or engage with what others say.

i would however clarify that I certainly consider myself a feminist under some of the definitions that are floating around....

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by yudothis
Sorry but who cares about the alt-right? They are a bunch of mostly white males crying that their privileges are being eroded. It is also primarily an internet phenomenon (or rather its gains in popularity have come about because of online messaging boards and news outlets) as people are much more likely to show their ugly side on the internet.

i think you are being a bit naive in assuming the reason for internet popularity is that the alt-right is 'ugly' (ethically or philosophically of whatever), and that it isn't popular in 'real-life'. I know plenty of people who fall into this political category, and the simple fact seems to be that they don't generally speak about it publicly (with their identity and hence reputation attached) because the moment they say something even vaguely critical of supposedly liberating movements they are immediately demonised and very few of their critics ever actually engage with their ideas beyond deliberate straw men and self righteous outrage. Theyre just a 'white heterosexual cis-male' (by assumption, i should add) who is not entitled to a say

This is a problem, because I think the alt right is ultimately 'wrong', but is never going to see that in the current environment because every time their arguments are met with moral indignation instead of legitimate criticism it simply reaffirms their belief that they are right and the loony left wing students who can't logic are precisely that: loony lefties who cant do critical thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Implication
i think you are being a bit naive in assuming the reason for internet popularity is that the alt-right is 'ugly' (ethically or philosophically of whatever), and that it isn't popular in 'real-life'. I know plenty of people who fall into this political category, and the simple fact seems to be that they don't generally speak about it publicly (with their identity and hence reputation attached) because the moment they say something even vaguely critical of supposedly liberating movements they are immediately demonised and very few of their critics ever actually engage with their ideas beyond deliberate straw men and self righteous outrage. Theyre just a 'white heterosexual cis-male' (by assumption, i should add) who is not entitled to a say

This is a problem, because I think the alt right is ultimately 'wrong', but is never going to see that in the current environment because every time their arguments are met with moral indignation instead of legitimate criticism it simply reaffirms their belief that they are right and the loony left wing students who can't logic are precisely that: loony lefties who cant do critical thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is moral indignation not a legitimate criticism?
Feminist's aren't that bad. Feminazis are the devil. Hated by men, hated by women, hated by real feminists... Probably worth noting that we shouldn't confuse the two...
Why is moral indignation not a legitimate criticism?

Because it's not a criticism, it's an expression of how you feel- and distinct from rational criticism on the grounds of ethics, morality etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Implication
Because it's not a criticism, it's an expression of how you feel- and distinct from rational criticism on the grounds of ethics, morality etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am sorry, how is moral indignation different from criticism base on ethics and morality?
I am sorry, how is moral indignation different from criticism base on ethics and morality?

Well this is semantics really - we can use different words if you prefer! I'm just saying that these people are met with emotionally charged and often personal attacks rather than a rational criticism. For example 'that's a disgusting thing to say, why do men always think they have something to contribute?' rather than 'you're wrong and here's why'. Obviously you can have both, and it's more the lack of constructive discussion that I'm saying is a problem than the presence of moral indignation (though the latter does tend to break down the quality of the conversation more often than it helps with persuasion imo).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Okay.

Well, here's my answer, we still haven't got complete equality.

Where are these inequalities then? I don't see any.

Just fake inequalities like average wage difference no differences in a specific field due to different gender job choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lollypop100
Where are these inequalities then? I don't see any.

Just fake inequalities like average wage :h:difference no differences in a specific field due to different gender job choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, if you say so, must be true. :h::h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Lol, if you say so, must be true. :h::h:

If your fairy land claim was true, we wouldn't have a female Prime Minister would we?

It's been scientifically proven that the gender pay gap is down to career decisions made by women. People to pursue this ideologist driven lie are not driven by fact by a cancerous agenda. They are driven by politically correctness which is by its very nature divorced from reality and facts.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/harvard-prof.-takes-down-gender-wage-gap-myth/article/2580405

These are the same brainwashed people who think that black identity is good and white identity is bad, gay marriage is good for Christianity but not Islam, it's terrible to offend people unless they are white, Christian, male, bankers in which case it's good to offend them.... I could reel off the entire brainwash list but I'd probably be wasting my time with completely and irreversibly brainwashed people.

Feminists are unaware that they are New World Order tyranny stooges who are worshipping clone drones like Hillary Clinton to remove the rights and freedoms of all of us.

It's already started, arresting people for opinion crime and wearing gorilla masks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lollypop100
If your fairy land claim was true, we wouldn't have a female Prime Minister would we?

It's been scientifically proven that the gender pay gap is down to career decisions made by women. People to pursue this ideologist driven lie are not driven by fact by a cancerous agenda. They are driven by politically correctness which is by its very nature divorced from reality and facts.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/harvard-prof.-takes-down-gender-wage-gap-myth/article/2580405

These are the same brainwashed people who think that black identity is good and white identity is bad, gay marriage is good for Christianity but not Islam, it's terrible to offend people unless they are white, Christian, male, bankers in which case it's good to offend them.... I could reel off the entire brainwash list but I'd probably be wasting my time with completely and irreversibly brainwashed people.

Feminists are unaware that they are New World Order tyranny stooges who are worshipping clone drones like Hillary Clinton to remove the rights and freedoms of all of us.

It's already started, arresting people for opinion crime and wearing gorilla masks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Explain again, I didn't quite get that. :h:
Feminism has too much wrong with it nowadays. And be aware when I say feminism I mean 3rd wave feminism.

They do not stand for equality and they mostly use incorrect statistics and are actually causing more problems that they are trying to fix.

Some say 1 in 3 women raped on campus but that statistic has been proven wildlly untrue, they demand to be treated equally by demanding special priveleges. they see women as horribly opressed yet in the western worlld we are mostly equal. in the important ways.

They simply do not see the other side of the argument. they claim they have unrealistic beauty standards as barbie exists and all the models are skinny but you take a look at mens standards, they are meant to have a good job and support the family with money, when young they look up to action man and a plethora of superheroes and then footballers and being athletic. Liking football is seen as manly and there is a stigma to not liking football.
Men have massive problems in divorces as they are usually given the short straw and compared to women men have hardly any support groups .

If you as a woman said to somone help my Boyfriend hit me or is shouting at me the person would likely be sympathetic and help you.
a man says this and less people will care about you.

I will give you examples from my own life.
When I was about 10 there was this girl on the playground that was pretty evil. she had started attacking me with a ruler as I had angered her by not inviting her to my party. She attacked me and I pushed her away. I was given a detention and she was let off scott free as "you cant hit a girl"

Biases exist on both sides but in most cases it is very minor. Men have problems too and feminism likes to paint men as evil.
Just look at some femenist media and how biased it is.

Feminism also ties in with the whole SJW thing and if you want to see how crazy and Racist they are look at a episode of MTV decoded to see the hatred towards white males.

While there are some feminists that are perfectly reasonable the majority are just not reasonable at all.

I will add to this that in islamic countries and some other countries more equality is needed
(edited 7 years ago)
Explain again, I didn't quite get that. :h:

Ahahaha funny šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
the movement is fine, its some of the representatives who are ruining it

Quick Reply