The Student Room Group

New postgraduate loans for part-time study and housing benefit

Scroll to see replies

Original post by john2054
Are you saying i have grounds to call up the benefits agency, and dispute the amount they say i owe them, because of some new legistlation??

Either you are/were an undergraduate or if you are indeed talking about postgraduate study it cannot be the new postgraduate loan as it has only just been introduced. So the first students with this loan start this October.
Original post by SamBruce1985
Either you are/were an undergraduate or if you are indeed talking about postgraduate study it cannot be the new postgraduate loan as it has only just been introduced. So the first students with this loan start this October.

Yes I wasn't talking about the new loans, but the undergraduate ones. The jobcentre has told me that it does count towards my income, and thus that is why i have to repay such large sums of money!
Reply 22
I think I am not allowed to post personal email add here. Yes I am a spouse of post graduate student .my spouse going to start his course October 2016, part time.his loan £10000 already approved.
Reply 23
Three years ago we both were full time students, I had to send papers three times just to get council tax exemption!i had to send them all law documents!!

Now I will send them the legislation paper but I know they will make mistakes when they will do calculation.
Yes I wasn't talking about the new loans, but the undergraduate ones. The jobcentre has told me that it does count towards my income, and thus that is why i have to repay such large sums of money!

Yes, I thought so. The title of these posts is 'New postgraduate loans for part-time study and housing benefit'
Reply 25
Yes, I thought so. The title of these posts is 'New postgraduate loans for part-time study and housing benefit'

All my message with my email add is declined to post. I don't know how to contact with Sam. Sam can you please tell which council you r in? I can refer greenwich council to your council for HB calculation.
Councils don't contact each other they contact the Housing Policy Division of DWP and I have posted a reply from them on this site.

It is UK legislation so you can refer the council to rules in general and they need to calculate it correctly. It may take them time to learn about the new rules. It may take you some time to get through to those who can use the new rules.

If you are lucky they have organised themselves and you will get it done quickly.
Reply 27
Thanks Sam. I printed all legislation papers and sent to them. Hopefully they will do it correctly this time. You sent the link, without this it was impossible to fight with them. Thanks again.
Reply 28
Councils don't contact each other they contact the Housing Policy Division of DWP and I have posted a reply from them on this site.

It is UK legislation so you can refer the council to rules in general and they need to calculate it correctly. It may take them time to learn about the new rules. It may take you some time to get through to those who can use the new rules.

If you are lucky they have organised themselves and you will get it done quickly.

Hi

I have been reading through your posts, could you please help me as well. I am looking for information with regards to lone parent students and Universal Credit housing benefit. I am a single parent student, started full time PGCE in Sept. Universal Credit have stopped paying my housing benefit (£880.78) and have reduced my child tax credit to £45 per week. I thought as a full time lone parent student, parents learning allowance is disregarded when calculating housing benefit and that I should get an allowance towards my travelling, books etc. After paying rent and bills every month I am left with no money for transport and struggling financially. I called Universal credit, said they take all Student finance including parents learning allowance as income. They take all the income (student loan and PLA) and subtract £110 per month. Is this correct?Could you please look into Universal Credit policy with regards to lone parent full time students and housing benefit. I need to know if Universal credit pays housing costs for full time lone parent students England.

Kind regards
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
hi sam,
council calculate 30percent of loan amount as income.they said they cant disregards any money for travel/book and will not disregards £10 as well.counting £34 per week as extra income from student loan.
Original post by 24rose5
Hi

I have been reading through your posts, could you please help me as well. I am looking for information with regards to lone parent students and Universal Credit housing benefit. I am a single parent student, started full time PGCE in Sept. Universal Credit have stopped paying my housing benefit (£880.78) and have reduced my child tax credit to £45 per week. I thought as a full time lone parent student, parents learning allowance is disregarded when calculating housing benefit and that I should get an allowance towards my travelling, books etc. After paying rent and bills every month I am left with no money for transport and struggling financially. I called Universal credit, said they take all Student finance including parents learning allowance as income. They take all the income (student loan and PLA) and subtract £110 per month. Is this correct?Could you please look into Universal Credit policy with regards to lone parent full time students and housing benefit. I need to know if Universal credit pays housing costs for full time lone parent students England.

Kind regards

That's what they said to me too. They also told me that i owe them £14k overpayments, the buggers!
Reply 31
Hi Could you tell me where i could find these regulations you have quoted? I need to send copies into my Council as they do not know what do.

Thanks you
Concerning the new postgraduate student loan for a part-time student. Assuming a £10,000 loan was taken out over two years. £5,000 in each year of the part-time masters degree. Study is for less than 16 hours per week part-time. The amount of the loan exactly covered the tuition fees so no part of the new Student Finance England postgraduate loan could be claimed to be for maintenance costs despite being paid directly to the student. Assuming that existing earnings are at a level making the part-time student eligible for housing benefit (£70 per week) and that the rent was below the LHA.

Is this loan considered capital or income for the purpose of housing benefit? How is this loan assessed when it comes to housing benefit? Can the student take the loan without losing his rent payments? Using the above figures what would the deduction in housing benefit be, if any?

Please see below.

Kind regards
Sam

P2.897-P2.919

Loans and overdrafts

P2.920

Before deciding whether any loan or overdraft should be treated as income, it will be necessary to have regard to the particular circumstances of the individual case.

P2.921 Money which has been obtained by way of a one-off lump sum for example, would normally fall to be treated as capital, see BW1 or BP1 Assessment of capital earlier in this part. This would particularly apply if a payment is for the purchase of a specific item or items such as a car or a holiday.

P2.922 There may, however be occasions when money obtained by way of a loan or overdraft may amount to other income. An example would be money received in the form of a series of loans which are made periodically to help defray a person’s living costs, although we would suggest that an unused overdraft facility would not fall to be treated as either income or capital.

P2.923 As the way in which to treat a loan or overdraft depends so much on the individual circumstances, authorities may wish, in some instances, to seek advice from its legal advisers. P2.924-P2.999

I recently found out that they have changed the amount i owe them, from £14k to £7k, which is something i suppose?
Universal Credit should be disregarding the PLA. ADG is regarded as well as maintenance loan, but not for the 2/3 assessment periods which are the summer vacation (no term time weeks in the period). I've been looking up how student finance is treated by benefits due to going back to uni next year. I couldn't find how much is deducted each month for travel & other course related expenses, thanks for posting that one, helps me out. I've just done the maths and difference between UC and non UC systems is that UC disregards £13 less per year than non UC. Depending on UC assessment period dates and uni term dates, it looks possible for student finance to be regarded for 9 months not 10 which would mean UC disregarding more than non UC system. There's someone from job centre going to Surestart to talk about UC in the new year & I'll ask them a few questions I have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Yes, we are talking about three specific issues in this thread:

1- New postgraduate loan
2- Housing Benefit
2- Part time study

If any of these do not apply to you then posts here do not help you.
Original post by Tanzim07
All my message with my email add is declined to post. I don't know how to contact with Sam. Sam can you please tell which council you r in? I can refer greenwich council to your council for HB calculation.

I live in the Tower Bridge area (Southwark) and study at Greenwich Uni but the initial enquiries were directed at the DWP Secretary of State, London based MPs and Westminster Council. An MP directed me to the person in charge of Housing Benefit rules at Westminster Council. The DWP Secretary referred the enquiries on to the Housing Policy Division which is the department that communicates new laws to different councils and provides them with advice and support. Basically, if a council goes against what the statutory instruments state then it is likely they would lose any appeal or legal challenge.

If you live in Westminster you can at least be guaranteed that you will have no problems as these replies are from Westminster Council directly. But who can afford to live in Westminster! 😊
Original post by Tanzim07
I think I am not allowed to post personal email add here. Yes I am a spouse of post graduate student .my spouse going to start his course October 2016, part time.his loan £10000 already approved.

How did it go?
Original post by 24rose5
Hi

Kind regards

Hi, I think the problem was that you were not studying part-time.
Original post by jobgro
Hi Could you tell me where i could find these regulations you have quoted? I need to send copies into my Council as they do not know what do.

Thanks you

Please see the web links provided in this thread.
Reply 39
Hi I'm on Universal Credit (whilst working on a zero hour contact basis) at the moment and I'm going to apply for a Masters Loan - maximum amount - part time over 2 years. It's my understanding that the full time option will cancel my entitlement to Universal Credit.

I currently claim £853 pcm inc the housing element. I live outside of London but I'm considering commuting to my proposed course in London, so I have to factor in travel expenses. Otherwise, I could move to London but I'm unsure of limits on housing element of UC in London.

Is anybody on here already on a part time masters course & claiming Universal Credit? If so, can you let me know if the DWP will deduct any of the PG loan that they consider as income?

I will have to continue working as I cannot afford to pay my rent and bills on £853 per month.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers 😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending