The Student Room Group

Why do so many people want to get in relationships?

Scroll to see replies

Immature relationships are ****. Would not recommend.

Relationships between two mature adults can be beautiful. The thing you can create by finding someone you really love and someone that really loves you back is magical. It's addictive.
No, I am not! I've never heard of 0to100
Original post by KnowledgeIsBest
people want somebody to laugh and have a good time with, that understands them.

You can do that with friends though?
yes, but, you cant kiss friends, talk about personal things, have sex with them(unless you're friends with benefits).
Original post by EA SPORTS
Do you flirt with girls a lot though? Like I barely even talk to them because I'm too scared

Scared of what?
Yeah but having a romp with a friend can make things weird.
Original post by AlexFam
Yeah but having a romp with a friend can make things weird.

Fwb?
Original post by KnowledgeIsBest
yes, but, you cant kiss friends, talk about personal things, have sex with them(unless you're friends with benefits).

Really? I mean, if you feel like you can't talk to your friends about personal things then I would wonder why you would call them a friend tbh
Im in an amazing one :love: we make each other laugh,hold hands everywhere and dance randomly together in public and its all....

Spoiler

Original post by AngryRedhead
Talking about both genders although as of recent TSR seems to have had a rash of threads by a couple of users (or possibly just one individual :colone:) obsessed with getting into a relationship?

What is the big deal about them? Partners can be so needy/ clingy and inevitably always make lots of demands on your time and on you, physically, emotionally and financially. Can someone please explain what is so great about being in a relationship because I just don't get it. I have no desire for one either, whether I'm weird or not for that is a matter of your own personal opinion.

I will admit that I've never been in a serious one but the ones I have been in I found quite stifling so maybe I've just been dating the wrong type? Idk.

That one individual wouldn't happen to be me by any chance?

And I want a relationship for many reasons.
One being it would help my recovery of my illnesses (according to my therapist)
(') <===3
Because we're insane
Original post by AlexFam
Immature relationships are ****. Would not recommend.

Relationships between two mature adults can be beautiful. The thing you can create by finding someone you really love and someone that really loves you back is magical. It's addictive.

That cute, sounds kinda poetic that, could be a hidden talent:h::clap2:
Well when you're a teenager I suppose it's more about sex and 'love' and the thrill of it - mixed with just 'having' a BF/GF and being 'normal'.

But as you get into your 20's and beyond it changes. I'm mid-to-late 20's and people around me are now starting to settle. There are people getting engaged/married/buying homes/having babies. They've graduated, they've got decent careers, and now they're looking to the future. I think coming towards 30, people are looking for security - in every way, emotional/career/financial/personal etc. In your 20's post uni you're working full time and believe me - it's hard to come home on your own after an 8 hour shift to a quiet empty house/flat. No one to talk to about your day, no one waiting for you, no one who missed you or would miss you if you didn't walk through that door, no one for a hug, no one to have dinner with around the table, no one to laugh with about something funny you saw that day or cry with about something terrible you saw and no one to lie next to in bed. It's lonely. And in that situation when you're working, earning and you've finally got that good career and house/flat...when you have all of that and you're single/on your own...you have time alone to sit and think "what does any of this even mean without someone to share it with?".

So, yeah. I used to think exactly the same and thought I would be happy to be single forever. But that changes as you get older and see people getting married, having a family etc and you've just got few fish and the biggest commitment you have is your phone contract.

Honestly, it's just nicer to have this journey with a side-kick. Life is pretty tough and it's hard to travel through it all by yourself. You'll really get that once you have your independence and all the material things you've dreamed of.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by FireFreezer77
That one individual wouldn't happen to be me by any chance?

And I want a relationship for many reasons.
One being it would help my recovery of my illnesses (according to my therapist)

No dw it isnt you. Theres this troll dude who posts his pic everywhere and acts desperate who must have about 20 accounts rn

Well thats understandable then :smile: Like I said in the OP its just my own personal preferences and experiences here
Original post by AllegedLegends
Well when you're a teenager I suppose it's more about sex and 'love' and the thrill of it - mixed with just 'having' a BF/GF and being 'normal'.

But as you get into your 20's and beyond it changes. I'm mid-to-late 20's and people around me are now starting to settle. There are people getting engaged/married/buying homes/having babies. They've graduated, they've got decent careers, and now they're looking to the future. I think coming towards 30, people are looking for security - in every way, emotional/career/financial/personal etc. In your 20's post uni you're working full time and believe me - it's hard to come home on your own after an 8 hour shift to a quiet empty house/flat. No one to talk to about your day, no one waiting for you, no one who missed you or would miss you if you didn't walk through that door, no one for a hug, no one to have dinner with around the table, no one to laugh with about something funny you saw that day or cry with about something terrible you saw and no one to lie next to in bed. It's lonely. And in that situation when you're working, earning and you've finally got that good career and house/flat...when you have all of that and you're single/on your own...you have time alone to sit and think "what does any of this even mean without someone to share it with?".

So, yeah. I used to think exactly the same and thought I would be happy to be single forever. But that changes as you get older and see people getting married, having a family etc and you've just got few fish and the biggest commitment you have is your phone contract.

Honestly, it's just nicer to have this journey with a side-kick. Life is pretty tough and it's hard to travel through it all by yourself. You'll really get that once you have your independence and all the material things you've dreamed of.

I'm in my early twenties now and I work and rent my own room. Granted its in a shared house but I hardly see my housemates enough to count and I havent yet experienced the sensation of loneliness that you describe?
I suppose we're different kinds of people. I feel it profoundly. In my own home I find it difficult to sleep because it's so quiet and I know I'm alone. When I visit family I sleep straight away - just because there are other people in the house, watching TV/sleeping.

I can enjoy my own company but I don't like to be 'stuck' in my own company for prolonged periods - which is basically what living alone feels like to me. I can enjoy a good TV Drama for a couple of hours in the evening - or stuff where I'm keeping busy like cooking/laundry. But anything where I start to notice the silence is hard - reading, sleeping, early mornings. The radio is pretty good for company especially first thing in the morning when it's dark and cold - but still, even saying that feels sad to be honest.
I really really want one because I feel bored without one and as though I am missing half of myself.
Original post by 2016_GCSE
I really really want one because I feel bored without one and as though I am missing half of myself.

How can you be missing half of yourself when you are a whole person in and in of yourself? Get comfortable in your own skin before getting into relationship because chances are you will annoy the **** out of your partner.
One does not annoy when paying high respect to there partner like I. For the tragic path is beyond ones soul as it is nothing more than that of a contempt figure of thought which sends one down a bad path.

Quick Reply

Latest