The Student Room Group

What would you expect your school to do if they forgot to submit c/w to board ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SummerStrawberry
With respect, why did you come and ask the question if the only answer you are willing to accept is the one which affirms the view which you already have?

OP is a childish numpty, that's why.
Reply 41
All medical schools.
Original post by Drewski

I'm getting to see why people are saying that. I gave him the benefit of the doubt.
Reply 43
Original post by Drewski

The question is what and how much for impeding the uni application.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Theplace
The question is what and how much for impeding the uni application.

And the answer, repeatedly, is the square root of **** all.
Reply 45
Original post by Drewski
And the answer, repeatedly, is the square root of **** all.

So why bother getting qualifications or good grades?
Personally, I would see to it that the school pays for a retake/re-mark...
Reply 47
Original post by spoonferret
Personally, I would see to it that the school pays for a retake/re-mark...

Thankyou.
I will indeed retake, however, i may not get the grade I already had banked. Lots of pressure, time and stress.
It's not a remark issue. Thankyou.
On a practical level I would contact all the schools that I was intending to apply to and make them aware of the situation.
This would include a letter from the exam board confirmsing the issue and a letter from the school acknowledging the error.
Then retake.

I would be suprised if you suffered rejection due to this error if you followed that. Unil you have spoken to them all, then you wont know what their stance is and they always have discretion on who to admit.
Reply 49
Original post by 999tigger
On a practical level I would contact all the schools that I was intending to apply to and make them aware of the situation.
This would include a letter from the exam board confirmsing the issue and a letter from the school acknowledging the error.
Then retake.

I would be suprised if you suffered rejection due to this error if you followed that. Unil you have spoken to them all, then you wont know what their stance is and they always have discretion on who to admit.

That is brilliant. I had not considered requesting a letter from te exam board, but I can see how that would carry weight. I wil ask them Monday, though this board is not known for being helpful, since if,they were, they could have accepted the coursework mark as presented on the mark sheet. Great advice though, thanks!
Reply 50
Original post by 999tigger
Then retake.

I have spoken to the unis. It's hard to know who you are speskimg and what authority they have. I am sure lost of applicants try it on. I had kmocked myself out ensuring I have everything in place and my application raised no red flags. Plusmimalsready have other extenuatings, and who wants to be a problem applicant for such a competitive career?
I have spoken to the unis. It's hard to know who you are speskimg and what authority they have. I am sure lost of applicants try it on. I had kmocked myself out ensuring I have everything in place and my application raised no red flags. Plusmimalsready have other extenuatings, and who wants to be a problem applicant for such a competitive career?

All the exam board can confirm is that it included coursework submitted on x date and that after Y date it would be unable to consider any further submission. You are telling a story to explain what happened. The exam board have not done anything wrong, they cna only confirm facts.

The letter from the school confirms the other side, which is there was other coursework, it had been marked (not sure whether they can suggest the mark), but through clerical error it was not submitted and when discovered it was too late.
This is just what happened. It needs to be well written to include the issues.

Any medical school will read that. I do not think// almost certain you would be prejudiced or rejected on that basis alone. Once you have the evidence then you can make a formal enquiry to the medical schools and find out what their policy would be on this issue.

Alternatively a phone call could discuss the issues and what you will provide. I think its much less of an issue than you are making out. Its much more likely to give you the answer you want.
What was the difference between your cw grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by FlyingBird
What was the difference between your cw grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ten marks
It was IGCSE English.
I need that grade to apply for scholarships, so they have cost me thst as well as places at my unis, since I now don't meet their requirements,
I like your thinks, but it would be more than £400, since I now hove to go a different route and it's an expensive one,

I don't really understand exactly what went on. You say you did badly on your first attempt at the IGCSE as you were ill on the day of the exam, but if that's the case I infer your original coursework mark was fine, so all you needed to do was re-sit the exam. I'm not saying the school didn't mess something up, but you don't appear to being entirely clear about things either.

I'm not sure a letter from the board would help much (from your story it must be CIE because of the way you enter for re-sits with potential coursework). All they will know is that you entered for the re-sit with a coursework carried forward code, if you weren't entered for coursework then the mark won't ever have gone to the board as there wouldn't have been a place to put it on the marksheet. They will have no knowledge of how good your re-vamped coursework was. Your best bet is to get your school to write explaining things as clearly as possible, but you'll find a lot of med schools won't accept GCSE re-sits anyway so this may all be irrelevant.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by Compost
I don't really understand exactly what went on. You say you did badly on your first attempt at the IGCSE as you were ill on the day of the exam, but if that's the case I infer your original coursework mark was fine, so all you needed to do was re-sit the exam. I'm not saying the school didn't mess something up, but you don't appear to being entirely clear about things either.

Comp....thankyou for giving this matter such consideration. Valid point..
The original al coursework was of a high grade initially, however, was moderated down. It was ten points llwer than the new coursework, and it was perfectly accptablem to enter new coursework.
There are indeed my other issues, but the ten points lost, have cost me at least a grade.
Comp....thankyou for giving this matter such consideration. Valid point..
The original al coursework was of a high grade initially, however, was moderated down. It was ten points llwer than the new coursework, and it was perfectly accptablem to enter new coursework.
There are indeed my other issues, but the ten points lost, have cost me at least a grade.

If the first course work was moderated down what is to say the second one wouldn't also have been moderated down?
Original post by Drewski
They didn't damage your possessions, they just didn't submit something.

They've not done anything tangible to you.

Feel free to take legal action against them, but be prepared for no lawyer to take you seriously.

Loss of a year of earnings etc, perhaps?
Reply 58
Original post by Chief Wiggum

Or the price of a year of a tutorial school prior to reapplying to other unis, which equates to the same thing. £25k
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chief Wiggum

Nobody would take such a claim seriously.

Nor should they.

Quick Reply

Latest