The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester Medicine 2017 Entry!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by meddad
Unfortunately you wouldn't have got an interview last year. Lots of "ifs and buts" to that - see my previous response

Sorry I should have added that you should ask the med school admissions if your mitigating circumstances make a difference
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 141
Original post by meddad
Unfortunately you wouldn't have got an interview last year. Lots of "ifs and buts" to that - see my previous response

That's true, but do you think the mitigating circumstances letter will play any effect on the score I currently have? :redface:
Reply 142
Original post by meddad
Sorry I should have added that you should ask the med school admissions if your mitigating circumstances make a difference

Ahaha whoops sorry I didn't see this post before I replied. :wink:
Original post by I <3 WORK
Hi, so I've just calculated my score and unfortunately my really low UKCAT result has seriously hindered my application. :frown:

My total points stand at 38, and I may also have a mitigating circumstances letter ready regarding my GCSEs. Please be honest, would you actually think I may hold some chance of being selected for interview?

Thanks again! :redface:

Hey,

I don't want to discourage you from medicine, but at the same time, I don't want to give you false hope :frown:

If the cut-offs remain the same as it was last year, you would have needed 40.5 / 48 to get an interview. Seeing those interim results, my belief is that this is likely to rise rather than fall. So unfortunately, you wouldn't be considered if they did or didn't. There is ofcourse the odd chance the cut-off falls but how likely this is, I can't say.

PM me if you want some more advice and which unis to target. Your mitigating circumstances letter will help you in certain places - some unis consider extenuating candidates in a separate cohort to its 'normal' applicants.
Original post by aRandomGuy
Hey,

I don't want to discourage you from medicine, but at the same time, I don't want to give you false hope :frown:

If the cut-offs remain the same as it was last year, you would have needed 40.5 / 48 to get an interview. Seeing those interim results, my belief is that this is likely to rise rather than fall. So unfortunately, you wouldn't be considered if they did or didn't. There is ofcourse the odd chance the cut-off falls but how likely this is, I can't say.

PM me if you want some more advice and which unis to target. Your mitigating circumstances letter will help you in certain places - some unis consider extenuating candidates in a separate cohort to its 'normal' applicants.

That's all good advice which I agree with. Obviously not as random a guy as his name suggests.
Original post by Hdizzle
Hi Guys. Quick question for those mentioning the 7th of October as the date for release of cut offs - is this for Leicster university interviews? Sorry for the confusion if it isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As per my previous reply cut off scores for interview won't be known until well after the ucas application deadline ie: all the applications need to be in and assessed first. The ukcat final deciles and averages are published on 7 oct.
Original post by chrisdale98
I heard ukcat scores have nosedived recently. So hopefully youll just about be fine unless i heard false info haha

The official ukcat information shows average scores until 11 sept are 30 higher (total score) than equivalent final scores last year. There is always a fall in final scores towards the end of the cycle because later applicants score lower on average. A statement like "nosedived" needs to be qualified to be of any use whatsoever. To make a difference to the Leicester cut off in comparison with last year the final average score would need to drop by the 30 mentioned above plus another 50 (equivalent to 0.5 points on Leicester scoring). A nosedive of 200 ukcat points by the final 20% of candidates will impact the overall average by less than that. So what exactly was his definition of "nosedived"? Anyway final scores are published 7 October so best wait and see.
Reply 147
Hey, can anyone offer any advice on whether I'm likely to make interview?
GCSE: 6A* 4* 1BUKAT: 623 avg (VR 570 AR 630 QR 680, SJT Band 1)AS: 4AA2 (predicted): A*A*AAny one got any idea whether it's smart to apply or if it would be a wasted application?
Original post by meddad
The official ukcat information shows average scores until 11 sept are 30 higher (total score) than equivalent final scores last year. There is always a fall in final scores towards the end of the cycle because later applicants score lower on average. A statement like "nosedived" needs to be qualified to be of any use whatsoever. To make a difference to the Leicester cut off in comparison with last year the final average score would need to drop by the 30 mentioned above plus another 50 (equivalent to 0.5 points on Leicester scoring). A nosedive of 200 ukcat points by the final 20% of candidates will impact the overall average by less than that. So what exactly was his definition of "nosedived"? Anyway final scores are published 7 October so best wait and see.

Someone i know said her teacher has some kind of access to updating averages. I cant qualify it sorry for making a bold statement with no proof haha. Anyway since then she said it went back up again so false alarm even if it is true :frown:
I'm a reapplicant and my GCSE + A Levels = 21
UKCAT = 19 (I did get 1910 in total but idk if they use decimal points like 19.1)
So my total score is 40
Idk if if will be enough for an interview
Original post by PeterMJP
UKCAT = 19 (I did get 1910 in total but idk if they use decimal points like 19.1)
So my total score is 40

Lol I'm pretty much in the exam same position as you. Reapplicant + 40 points.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
Lol I'm pretty much in the exam same position as you. Reapplicant + 40 points.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Idk why I didn't apply last year to Leicester. Hopefully we will be in a stronger position than last year due to us having our A Levels. Tbh going on last year's score, 40/48 should be enough for this year but you never know
Original post by PeterMJP
So my total score is 40

Crazily enough I'm a reapplicant with the same ukcat as you and my total score is also 40! I also am not sure if 40 will be enough, will you be applying?? Annoyed because I would've had a higher score if I applied last year due to my GCSEs being better than my achieved AAA A-levels...
I am because I have a better chance at Leicester than some other unis. I wish I had applied to Leicester last year as well bc Ik someone who applied and I had a higher score than her. Oh well just hoping I get an interview
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by noctisff
Crazily enough I'm a reapplicant with the same ukcat as you and my total score is also 40! I also am not sure if 40 will be enough, will you be applying?? Annoyed because I would've had a higher score if I applied last year due to my GCSEs being better than my achieved AAA A-levels...

Join the team mate. If i was applying last year i wouldve had a score of 42.5, but due to me having my A levels achieved I've now got a score of 40.5. Sad times
http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/medicine/applying/admissions-statistics

The score percentages vary so much from year to year. In 2014 it seems exceptionally high :/
My score is 44.5 / 48 but if it was scaled with the percentage in 2014 it wouldn't be enough...
Original post by LearningGeek
Join the team mate. If i was applying last year i wouldve had a score of 42.5, but due to me having my A levels achieved I've now got a score of 40.5. Sad times

Might give Leicester a miss mate. Can't afford another pre-interview rejection, I have some feeling that the cut off will be around 41-42 ....
Hi which uni places a heavier emphasis on the UKCAT - nottingham or leicester?
Is the Leicester course structure Integrated? How much pbl is there?

Thanks.
I'm thinking of applying to Leicester for 2017 entry.

I got 2010 in my UKCAT:
500 in VR
820 in AR
690 in QR
Band 2 in SJ

GCSE: (6 best)
B in English
A in Maths
A* in D+T
A in Biology
A in Physics
A in Chemistry

I've already completed my A levels with AAAB in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths respectively.

Would this be alright for Leicester?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending