The Student Room Group

I didn't do my GCSEs. Please help

I used to live in Portugal and followed the Portuguese school curriculum. However, this year I moved to the UK (due to financial problems) and now attending a school with Cambridge curriculum. The thing is that because I used to do the Portuguese curriculum, I never did my GCSEs. Currently I am on Year 12 doing my AS Levels, and I searched through many universities and saw that they ask for GCSEs, mainly in Maths and Englis (CC).

The school said that I can do the GCSE exams while doing my AS levels.

So can I just do the Maths and English GCSE exam? Or do i have to do all the GCSE exams?
Original post by shneebnee
I used to live in Portugal and followed the Portuguese school curriculum. However, this year I moved to the UK (due to financial problems) and now attending a school with Cambridge curriculum. The thing is that because I used to do the Portuguese curriculum, I never did my GCSEs. Currently I am on Year 12 doing my AS Levels, and I searched through many universities and saw that they ask for GCSEs, mainly in Maths and Englis (CC).

So can I just do the Maths and English GCSE exam? Or do i have to do all the GCSE exams?

U.K. Universities consider candidates from all over the world and are familiar with the qualifications they can offer. Most departments will have taken students from Portugal in the past. If you have some idea of what subject you want to apply for and where you would prefer to study, contact the relevant uni admissions staff (you will find info on their web site) and ask for advice about your situation. It would certainly be useful to get GCSE in maths and English, it will save you so much effort whenever you need to state your educational record in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you take formal exams in Portugal?
Reply 3
Yes we do, but that was in the Portuguese 10th grade (Year 11). However, I didn't received really bad grades at that moment due to my immaturity. I think it is better do the GCSE exams, but I was just wondering if I have to do just the English and Maths exam or all the exams.

I want to become an Astrophysicist though.
Yes we do, but that was in the Portuguese 10th grade (Year 11). However, I didn't received really bad grades at that moment due to my immaturity. I think it is better do the GCSE exams, but I was just wondering if I have to do just the English and Maths exam or all the exams.

I want to become an Astrophysicist though.

Universities will probably ask you for the grades you got in the Portugese School system. Universities all very used to dealing with people all across the world. If you reached an equivalent of the required GCSE grade in Portugal, you should be fine. However, if you didn't acheive the necessary grade, then you may need to sit an IELTs test or some other ESOL test.

Quick Reply

Latest