The Student Room Group

I really miss her but want to move on

I'm finding it agonising and frustrating. I was dating a girl in March this year. We went a few really good dates and got very close very quickly. Both physically and emotionally. But then she said she didn't want to see me anymore , because she thought I would get too attached and she would drag me down. I was devastated. I miss her so much but I want to move on. It was 6 months ago so what's wrong with me? She has a boyfriend now so I know that she's obviously moved on. Whycant I? I can't watch movies that we watched together or listen to music we both like because it brings back painful memories. Its really frustrating. I've been on a few dates since then but I keep feeling like she is the one. I believed she was. How can I move on?
Original post by o-glez
I'm finding it agonising and frustrating. I was dating a girl in March this year. We went a few really good dates and got very close very quickly. Both physically and emotionally. But then she said she didn't want to see me anymore , because she thought I would get too attached and she would drag me down. I was devastated. I miss her so much but I want to move on. It was 6 months ago so what's wrong with me? She has a boyfriend now so I know that she's obviously moved on. Whycant I? I can't watch movies that we watched together or listen to music we both like because it brings back painful memories. Its really frustrating. I've been on a few dates since then but I keep feeling like she is the one. I believed she was. How can I move on?

Sadly, it won't be an immediate process. If you haven't done so already, block her on any social media sites and try to avoid her. Do things that you enjoy - take time to yourself. You will move on eventually. There is nothing wrong with you, it is a difficult position to be in.
Reply 2
Original post by usycool1
Sadly, it won't be an immediate process. If you haven't done so already, block her on any social media sites and try to avoid her. Do things that you enjoy - take time to yourself. You will move on eventually. There is nothing wrong with you, it is a difficult position to be in.

l deleted her number and blocked her straight away. I even got rid of my Facebook and smartphone for a while to try and get over her. It only worked short term. I've took up new hobbies s recently including going the gym more
Original post by o-glez
l deleted her number and blocked her straight away. I even got rid of my Facebook and smartphone for a while to try and get over her. It only worked short term. I've took up new hobbies s recently including going the gym more

Well, it looks like you're doing the right things. It will end up working eventually. Sadly, as frustrating as it is, time really is the best healer in these situations. See if you can spend time with other friends too - that can be very helpful.*

Just hang in there.*
You've done all the right things. Just force yourself not to think of her. When you find your mind wondering back to her stop and consciously make yourself stop!!! There is no magic, easy fix here. Time will eventually make it not so painful and slowly your heart will move on but there are no timetables. Don't force yourself to 'like' another girl. Just live your life, as you have been and eventually someone will come along that catches your interest and it will most likely happen when your not expecting it to. Good luck!
I had a similar experience (feel free to message me privately if you'd like) but only time will get you over it. Don't worry, it's okay to still be upset but don't let it get in the way of meeting new, amazing people.
Don't try to get her back. She doesn't sound like she is good news.

You think she's "the one" because you've been pulled into an incredibly emotional and manipulative relationship.
Reply 7
Original post by AlexFam
Don't try to get her back. She doesn't sound like she is good news.

You think she's "the one" because you've been pulled into an incredibly emotional and manipulative relationship.

You're right. She was bad news really. Why the hell did I love her though? I was in love with her, even though it was so short
Original post by o-glez
You're right. She was bad news really. Why the hell did I love her though? I was in love with her, even though it was so short

When's her mum's birthday?

You loved her because she wanted you to.
Time and space.

Frustrating, but it's true. Be patient with yourself and eventually you will become numb to the pain. It's a long process, but you'll come out on top. Keep going out on dates and work on yourself in the mean time, and don't put yourself under pressure.
Original post by o-glez

Hey buddy.

I get how this feels, I've just had the exact same thing happen to me. Unfortunately like most people have said already it'll take a while but you've got to realise that it's okay to feel the way you do, try accept it as much as you can. It's a weird one because the more you try push it away the more it comes back, let feelings flow. Try get rid of her from everything. You kinda got to accept that she won't come back as hard as that is but it also opens new doors for you. There's probably a deeper reason why she left as sad as it is to say. It's always the case. Just try be open with yourself don't hide or try remove any emotions just let them out. Just realised it's been a while since you post but I hope this helps everyone else and hopefully you've managed to move on. Best of luck

Latest